DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting For My New Rezound....Advice Appreciated!

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic

Waiting For My New Rezound....Advice Appreciated!

Well, after going thru several bad bionics and 2 razrs, I am finished with Motorola!!

A very nice Verizon rep offered to let me choose a different phone and I chose the rezound. Several years ago when I was with AT&T I had an htc phone and loved it. I am hoping to feel the same about the rezound. I am hoping to not have constant data drops, phone freezes, phone not ringing, phone randomly changing ring tones, pop email server errors, and more. There is so much about the razr I really wanted to like and the display is beautiful. I am hopeful, however, the rezound will be more reliable.

Any advice and/or tips would be much appreciated! I know no phone is perfect, but I look forward to receiving the rezound tomorrow.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    If you can deal with a little extra size and weight, then the extended battery turns it into a real animal! VZW has been selling them at half price.

Good radios (except maybe Bluetooth), great camera and overall a nice device.
    Rezound User - Retired Techie
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I also had my fill of Motorola.

Anyway, doing fancy things - rooting and roming - I find it more complex than on Motorola phones.
    I suggest you:
    o Read alot before doing things
    o Make sure there is a simple way to undo anything you do.

I have seen several people run into things, even when there was no known way to undo it and go back to stock.

Things to consider:
    o We are expecting the ICS OTA tonight. If there are no negative reports, then I suggest you do take the OTA upgrade.
    o Go to Welcome to HTCdev and follow instructions to unlock the bootloader.
    o I recommend hansoon all-in-one-toolkit - it makes things easy for a beginner.
    o Using adb.exe boot the phone into Ramon recovery (it's better than clockworkmod). Do not install it, just boot the phone into it. Then make a nandroid backup copy of your stock system - select all items to backup. This will be your baseline that you can always go back to.
    o Install Ramon recovery, but also get your hands on the stock recovery in case some day you want to put back the stock recovery program.
    o Boot into Ramon recovery - and use it to give yourself root (administrator) access.
    o Go to unlimited.io (no www in front of it) and follow instructions to achieve S-OFF. I advise that you do NOT take the optional hboot. If you someday want to revert to S-ON you need to go back to the stock hboot first or else you brick the phone. We get absolutely nothing useful with the hboot - no dev is making use of anything in it - not yet. So I stick with the stock hboot. But you can take the modified hboot if you want it.

Now you will be on stock ICS, unlocked bootloader, S-OFF (security off), rooted, with a good recovery program.

Probably ALL Roms will soon have as a requirement all of the above.
    Be sure to make nandroid backup on a regular basis - maybe once or twice per month, and especially before ROMing.

You'll find newbie guides on how to do all of these things on various android related forums.

It is an exciting time to own a Rezound, as S-OFF was just recently discovered, ICS is being released soon and will be followed by even better ROMs than we currently have.

Good luck, and welcome to the Rezound club.

Howard
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoking
    If you can deal with a little extra size and weight, then the extended battery turns it into a real animal! VZW has been selling them at half price.

Good radios (except maybe Bluetooth), great camera and overall a nice device.
    They offered me the extended but I was afraid it might be too much coming from the slim razr. I might have to rethink that decision. The camera on the razr is terrible! I am looking forward to a better camera.

Thank you!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardZ
    I also had my fill of Motorola.

Anyway, doing fancy things - rooting and roming - I find it more complex than on Motorola phones.
    I suggest you:
    o Read alot before doing things
    o Make sure there is a simple way to undo anything you do.

I have seen several people run into things, even when there was no known way to undo it and go back to stock.

Things to consider:
    o We are expecting the ICS OTA tonight. If there are no negative reports, then I suggest you do take the OTA upgrade.
    o Go to Welcome to HTCdev and follow instructions to unlock the bootloader.
    o I recommend hansoon all-in-one-toolkit - it makes things easy for a beginner.
    o Using adb.exe boot the phone into Ramon recovery (it's better than clockworkmod). Do not install it, just boot the phone into it. Then make a nandroid backup copy of your stock system - select all items to backup. This will be your baseline that you can always go back to.
    o Install Ramon recovery, but also get your hands on the stock recovery in case some day you want to put back the stock recovery program.
    o Boot into Ramon recovery - and use it to give yourself root (administrator) access.
    o Go to unlimited.io (no www in front of it) and follow instructions to achieve S-OFF. I advise that you do NOT take the optional hboot. If you someday want to revert to S-ON you need to go back to the stock hboot first or else you brick the phone. We get absolutely nothing useful with the hboot - no dev is making use of anything in it - not yet. So I stick with the stock hboot. But you can take the modified hboot if you want it.

Now you will be on stock ICS, unlocked bootloader, S-OFF (security off), rooted, with a good recovery program.

Probably ALL Roms will soon have as a requirement all of the above.
    Be sure to make nandroid backup on a regular basis - maybe once or twice per month, and especially before ROMing.

You'll find newbie guides on how to do all of these things on various android related forums.

It is an exciting time to own a Rezound, as S-OFF was just recently discovered, ICS is being released soon and will be followed by even better ROMs than we currently have.

Good luck, and welcome to the Rezound club.

Howard
    Thanks for all the great advice!!

Wow, the rezound is getting ics so soon? That is great news. I think the razr is slated for a much later date.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    You're going to love the Rezound.
  8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    I don't have a Rezound so I don't have any tips really. Just saying congrats and good luck it
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8!
    The Rezound is the best they offer at the moment in my book, Verizon should have gave it a lot more time on the TV. Razor's are far over rated!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Like some of them others said. Buy the extended battery. It will make it through a whole day without charging. But in all you'll like the Rezound. I to owned a Motorola and hated it. The Rezound has a better 4g antenna in it. To me that makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Rezound
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I forgot to mention, the Rezound has the best 3G/4G radio.

At work I have an excellent, very strong, very reliable, fast 4G signal,
    yet a buddy at work has a Galaxy Nexus and keeps his 4G disabled
    due to dropped calls/data. He has a 4G phone but only uses 3G.

Yes, the extended battery helps alot, but I just don't like the bulk and weight of the extended battery when I carry the Rezound in my shirt pocket. On a belt holster the extended battery is OK.

I also purchased a Sandisk micro SDXC 64Gigabyte class-6 card from Amazon.com for $98, and it works fine.

Howard
    Last edited by HowardZ; 05-10-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links