DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: To Root or not to Root

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

To Root or not to Root

Hello,

First off let me express that all though I am pretty technical as far as Windows Systems go I am a Total NOOB when it comes to Droids... I just got my first one about 2 weeks ago and just got the Samsung Galaxy Tablet WiFi only. I plan on using both for my home based business.

I know i plan on Rooting it eventually as I learn more but not sure if now is the best time to do it and honestly dont fully understand the Pro's and Con's of it.

My current delema is that I would like to use my cells dataplan for my WiFi only tablet. I found one article walking through the steps on using Barnacle WiFi Tether to set this up, but as im sure you know, the phone needs to be Rooted...

So I was hoping for some advice on the pros and cons on Rooting my Rezound. Possibly pointing me to a good thread to walk through the steps on and maybe there is a better way to setup the Wi-Fi Tethering.

Here is the information from the Software Info:
    Android Version: 2.3.4
    HTC Sense ver: 3.5
    Software Num: 1.02.605.6
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith.Visalus View Post
    Hello,

First off let me express that all though I am pretty technical as far as Windows Systems go I am a Total NOOB when it comes to Droids... I just got my first one about 2 weeks ago and just got the Samsung Galaxy Tablet WiFi only. I plan on using both for my home based business.

I know i plan on Rooting it eventually as I learn more but not sure if now is the best time to do it and honestly dont fully understand the Pro's and Con's of it.

My current delema is that I would like to use my cells dataplan for my WiFi only tablet. I found one article walking through the steps on using Barnacle WiFi Tether to set this up, but as im sure you know, the phone needs to be Rooted...

So I was hoping for some advice on the pros and cons on Rooting my Rezound. Possibly pointing me to a good thread to walk through the steps on and maybe there is a better way to setup the Wi-Fi Tethering.

Here is the information from the Software Info:
    Android Version: 2.3.4
    HTC Sense ver: 3.5
    Software Num: 1.02.605.6
    As far as rooting there is many threads here on the process. I will look soon so i can link it for you. As far as wireless tether goes you can get the app "foxfi" from the market for that. Then you can tether your tablet
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Definitely root! The best stuff (wifi tether, ad block, custom ROMs, freezing bloatware, etc.) all requires root access.

There's always a risk involved, but the Rezound has such a strong development community that the risk is almost negligible unless you're trying to screw up.

Here is a tutorial on how to root the Rezound.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I will attempt the ROOT process using that download, thanks for the link. I will watch the YouTube how to.

Just currious, what happens if something doesnt go right (remember Im a Total Droid NOOB) I assume depending on when something would fail my phone could be completely offline.

I will also download that Tethering application instead.
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Premium Member
    We have a number of good write ups here and a few good hands. I'm also a System admin so as long as you know your way around a command line, I'm sure there's not much you won't be able to get done.
    Helpful Rezound Links:
    Guide to Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

Did you know: You can upgrade your Rezound to ICS without rooting?

Fun Rezound Fact: The antennas for the Rezound are in the battery cover.

Don't forget to backup your flash player install before they remove it from the Android Market.

If you don't understand something, ask questions.
    Please follow the posting guidelines.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    I agree, rooting is pretty great, did it the first day I got my Rezound. However I'm surprised nobody has mentioned what is potentially the biggest con, which is that it voids your warranty. Granted you can almost always unroot your phone with ease and 9.9 times out of 10 even if you did send it back with some sort of root issue, they can just flash it no problem and you won't be charged but....it is worth mentioning.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    GrayTheWolf
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Removing bloatware makes it all worth it!

Links