DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: First time Droid User Here, Help!

  1. Droid
    thomamon's Avatar
    Member #
    221891
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    31
    Twitter
    thomamon
    Phone
    iPhone 4/HTC Rezound
    #1

    First time Droid User Here, Help!

    For years I have been an iPhone user and often have thought about adding a second phone so I can check out the Droid. I was unhappy with my MiFi from Verizon so they made me an offer and I made the plunge and took Verizon up on their offer and added the Rezound to my collection. I now have two phones, an iPhone 4S and the Rezound. I'm so excited about this!

    Since I know little about droids and was fooling around with it tonight, I have a few questions.

    1) Is there a page to see all your apps that have updates?
    2) Is there a way to check what version of the Google Navigation is installed?
    3) Can you suggest some apps, maybe something not on iPhone, that I should check out ASAP?

    Thanks so much and looking forward to being part of the community.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    combatmedic870's Avatar
    Member #
    215306
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,296
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    #2
    1. go to market, then hit the menu button(the one next to home) and click my apps and it will show you all that you have and will tell you whether they need to be updated.

    2. see #1.

    3. if you want a flashlight, download tiny flashlight + led. it works well and you can make a widget that doesnt open up an app it just turns it on(and i like that). I mean there are tons of apps....its hard to say what you would like. once your rooted and unlocked...THEN i can tell you apps that will help you along the way and that are good to have!
    Nexus 7 2 4.3 PA
    Unlocked and ROM'ed Note 3!!!!!
  4. Droid
    thomamon's Avatar
    Member #
    221891
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    31
    Twitter
    thomamon
    Phone
    iPhone 4/HTC Rezound
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by combatmedic870 View Post
    3. if you want a flashlight, download tiny flashlight + led. it works well and you can make a widget that doesnt open up an app it just turns it on(and i like that). I mean there are tons of apps....its hard to say what you would like. once your rooted and unlocked...THEN i can tell you apps that will help you along the way and that are good to have!
    Oh I like the sounds of this... I don't know much about rooting or anything like that so maybe you can help me along. What are the advantages of this? Is it easy to do?

    Can't wait to hear back!
  5. Senior Droid
    lisalisa13's Avatar
    Member #
    223226
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    236
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy S 4
    #4
    I don't know much about rooting either and would love to learn more about it too!

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. Master Droid
    mikeinctown's Avatar
    Member #
    10330
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    342
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #5
    Yeah, the flashlight app was one of my first on my original D1. Works great. As for the apps, they auto update if you allow them to, or in some cases where you don't allow auto update, you will get a notification that updates are available. A few taps later and all the apps are updating for you.
  7. Master Droid
    mjones73's Avatar
    Member #
    86607
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    450
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #6
    You "root" your phone so you can have control over deleting uninstallable app, installing custom roms (rom is the whole OS) etc... If you don't feel the need to do those things, I wouldn't bother rooting it.

    With that being said, currently these phones are shipping with the bootloader locked, it will take a little time for someone to figure out a way to get around that and permanent root these models.
    Last edited by mjones73; 11-18-2011 at 10:19 AM.
  8. Senior Droid
    Cinoib's Avatar
    Member #
    226784
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    138
    Phone
    motorola droid bionic
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by combatmedic870 View Post
    1. go to market, then hit the menu button(the one next to home) and click my apps and it will show you all that you have and will tell you whether they need to be updated.

    2. see #1.

    3. if you want a flashlight, download tiny flashlight + led. it works well and you can make a widget that doesnt open up an app it just turns it on(and i like that). I mean there are tons of apps....its hard to say what you would like. once your rooted and unlocked...THEN i can tell you apps that will help you along the way and that are good to have!
    Didn't Verizon lock the billiard on the Rezound?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  9. Senior Droid
    Cinoib's Avatar
    Member #
    226784
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    138
    Phone
    motorola droid bionic
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    You "root" your phone so you can have control over deleting uninstallable app, installing custom roms (rom is the whole OS) etc... If you don't feel the need to do those things, I wouldn't bother rooting it.

    With that being said, currently these phones are shipping with the bootloader locked, it will take a little time for someone to figure out a way to get around that and permanent root these models.
    Rooting an Android is like being the
    system administrator on your Windows pc.

    Being rooted allows you to install Titanium Backup and freeze Verizon applications that you will not use (Navigator - really Verizon?) that use system resources.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. Senior Droid
    jeffe65's Avatar
    Member #
    44828
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    197
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    #9
    Rooting will also give you the ability to use applications that will block ads and manage application versions better, if you like to tinker. This became a necessity on the OG Droid, as it had limited on-board memory, so managing applications and where they were installed (Phone vs. SD card) could be "forced" if the app didn't do it automatically. But there are tons of things you can do once you have control to do it, just read up on it, there are a lot of people on the forums willing to help.

    One thing that makes it a little difficult is, if you don't use custom ROM's, you won't be able to accept software updates (the automatic OTA's); you'll have to do them manually. But the upside is, once you're rooted and you make minor changes, the OTA's become optional because you can control the "fixes" they were addressing in the first place in other ways.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Long time droid user first time forum user
    By looneyk in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM
  2. First Time Droid User
    By whitedragon551 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 09:48 PM
  3. First time Droid user...
    By g0dless420 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
  4. New Droid User and First Time Android User
    By Nat3Th3Ap3 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
  5. Long time cell phone user, 1st time Droid user
    By rondunnjr in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Search tags for this page

droid bionic first time use help

,

droid user help

,

uninstallable root for the droid bionic

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+