DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Unlocking questions

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Unlocking questions

Hello! I recently read a post on unlocking the HTC Rezound.
    This is essentially my first smartphone, although I like to consider myself capable and techy, I'd like to know a bit more before I take this jump with an expensive device.
    I was hoping I could get some questions answered.

1. What are the benefits to unlocking? I keep hearing terms like s-on, permroot; I know they're all related could you tell me the difference and benefits?
    (At the moment my primary desire for unlocking my phone is because I've heard it can improve battery life and unbloat the phone --> these stupid Verizon processes that you can't uninstall.)

2. So say my phone is unlocked now, is it all manual OS updates from here on out? Is that as simple as plugging it in and spending a minute or two?
    (Will I lose all my contacts each time, or just after the unlocking process. <--- Same with pictures, music.)

3. Once the phone is unlocked and I have the phone loaded and working, I will still be connected to Verizon and my two year contract etc won't be voided right? (In an ideal "successful" situation)

Thank you so much for your time!
    I'm very curious about this stuff but lack even the basic knowledge when it comes to smart phone modification. No matter where I look to learn about the topic, the assumed is that you know all of the benefits and inconvenience associated with unlocking already. I do not, and would be very appreciative if you could assist me at all.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    1. Root allows custom ROMs, kernels, apps like Wifi Tether and more. All root does is give you Superuser Access. What you do with that is up to you.

2. Usually, you can manually install updates or go back to stock and do it via OTA updates.

3. Your contract wont be voided and everything will still function. Your warranty will probably be void though

X
    -Brad
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    In the case of rooting the Verizon bloatware would be taken care of (or could be removed) right? Maybe a stupid question but I'm not sure where the crap exists exactly.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flclfool View Post
    In the case of rooting the Verizon bloatware would be taken care of (or could be removed) right? Maybe a stupid question but I'm not sure where the crap exists exactly.
    Rooting only gives you the ability to make changes to system.

After you are rooted, you may us a root file explorer such as Root Explorer which can be found in the market, you can then navigate to /system/app/ and RENAME apps you don't want showing up, simply rename the extension to .bak instead of the default .apk extension. Please do NOT delete anything, this makes it easier to un-freeze those frozen apps in the event of an OTA update.

Also, be careful and search for apps that are acceptable to be frozen, otherwise you may find the system will start to FC constantly and you will have to RUU the phone back to stock.

Links