First and foremost, you need to understand what you are doing:
-You are voiding your warranty!
-You can possibly brick (rendered useless aka expensive paperweight) your phone!
To avoid such:
-Read! Read! Read!
-If stuck, ask! ask! ask! We are all here for you!
Lets get started shall we?
Next, we need to visit HTC Dev
and sign up for a free account if you have not done so already.
Once you have gotten your email and have activated your HTC Dev account, we can get started!
Now visit HTC Dev's Unlock Bootloader
On the right hand side you will see the "Begin Unlock Bootloader" button. Click it!
(Note that if you view the compatible devices, Rezound will NOT be listed, do not worry, for this method still works)
-Click "Yes" to continue.
-You must accept the legal terms here, basically its saying that:
-HTC and your carrier are NOT responsible for your actions
Now we can finally get started! You can follow the instructions on the website, or you can follow them here. They are the same. I am simply re-posting for reference and ease of access (and making my own tweaks to better understand).
-You are voiding your warranty
-If you screw up, look to the community for help, not us, or we will charge you full price for a new phone
Danger! Dragons lay ahead! This will factory reset your phone! Thus loosing everything! (It did for me at least)
1. You followed above and have created and HTC Dev account
2. You have the proper HTC Drivers and HTC Sync installed
3. You have the Android SDK installed (instructions below for Windows base machines)
4. Your Rezound is in fastboot mode, connected via USB to your computer
5. Your Rezound has a fully charged battery
6. The HTC Dev site instruction page open, following along, as you will need to interact with the site when it comes time, note, my instructions may be a bit different our out of order, I assure you, they are the same.
You will need the Android SDK installed, specifically the tools and platform tools (if you already have it installed, great, run SDK Manager and update the tools package if you have not done so in some time). Here's how:
1. Visit Android Dev here
to download the appropriate package for your computer (I will be using Windows).
2. Select the Windows .zip package and save it.
3. Once you have it saved, unzip it to the root of your C:\ drive, so it should look like so:
4. Next open up "android-sdk-windows" folder and double click on "SDK Manager." You only need the following:
-You can un-check anything else (except for maybe the Google USB Drivers, you can leave that selected).
5. Let it do its thing, once its done, you click on close on the dialogue box and exit out of the SDK manager.
6. You should now have a "platform-tools" folder and within that folder we are looking for three things specifically:
You now have the Android SDK Platform Tools installed!
**Make sure these three files are there (yes, there are others, ignore them).
7. Make sure your Rezound is in fastboot mode (power down the phone, battery pull (battery pull in important), power back up while holding volume down phone) and connected to your computer via USB cable. From the fastboot menu, select "Fastboot" using the power button.
Now here is where it gets a bit confusing if you are not very tech savvy, so please follow along closely and ask if you don't understand.
8. Open up a command prompt window (Windows Key + R as the shortcut or Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt
9. Remember where you saved your Android SDK files? We need to go there from command prompt, type the following:
(or use whatever directory you used)
10. Then you need to type:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
11. You will get a big block of numbers and letter. This is what you need. Following along with the HTC Dev site as well, keep going through the steps until you get to this part and to the part where is asks for this block.
IMPORTANT! You need everything including the text that reads: <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>.
(Leave the command prompt window open, you will need this still)
Paste this info into the submit field and click on submit!
Next, after the code is accepted, you will receive an email with a file attached, Unlock_code.bin. Download this file and save it in your Android SDK Platform Tools folder with the adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are located. If you followed how I did it, should be C:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\
Now lets actually unlock the phone!
12. With the command prompt window still open, type:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
13. A very beautiful screen shall pop up on the phone, asking you to unlock! Use volume button to scroll, power button to select.14. I hope that selected "Yes?" Right? I hope so!
The Rezound you own now has an unlocked bootloader!