DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for feedback on switching to the incredible.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz.ring View Post
    .....The battery life on this phone is worse than any phone I have ever owned....and yes I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead..blah blah blah.....
    Actually, you don't want to fully drain a lithium ion battery like the one in the Incredible, and most portable electronics today. This technique was popularized when nickel-based batteries dominated the market, and is unfortunately often misapplied to Li-Ion batteries. I'm fairly certain I damaged my old ThinkPad's Li-Ion battery and expedited its failure with frequent full discharges. Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries have a kind of "memory" that will reduce their charge capacity if not fully discharged. But Li-Ion batteries do not exhibit this effect. In fact, draining the battery until the device goes dead will unnecessarily strain the battery. It is helpful, however, to periodically (e.g. once a month) recalibrate your onboard battery monitor by running it down to an indicated 0% charge. Much has been published on this matter, for instance:

HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Look forward to further replies in this thread. I, too, am considering making the switch to the "Dinc".
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz.ring View Post
    .....The battery life on this phone is worse than any phone I have ever owned....and yes I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead..blah blah blah.....
    Actually, you don't want to fully drain a lithium ion battery like the one in the Incredible, and most portable electronics today. This technique was popularized when nickel-based batteries dominated the market, and is unfortunately often misapplied to Li-Ion batteries. I'm fairly certain I damaged my old ThinkPad's Li-Ion battery and expedited its failure with frequent full discharges. Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries have a kind of "memory" that will reduce their charge capacity if not fully discharged. But Li-Ion batteries do not exhibit this effect. In fact, draining the battery until the device goes dead will unnecessarily strain the battery. It is helpful, however, to periodically (e.g. once a month) recalibrate your onboard battery monitor by running it down to an indicated 0% charge. Much has been published on this matter, for instance:

HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Look forward to further replies in this thread. I, too, am considering making the switch to the "Dinc".
    I did everything as was recommended by the VZW rep. with the first two..... I now just plug it in when its getting low, not dead. I think your reading into my response maybe a bit far, it was sarcasm, hence the blah,blah,blah why the heck would I intentionally let my phone die to the point it shut off every time before re-charging it.

Good info though.....
    Last edited by chaz.ring; 09-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Well, you did say "I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead", when in reality letting the battery fully go dead is never a proper way to treat a Li-Ion battery---sarcastic or not.

And I think in time you'll find customer service reps generally know less about the products they're selling than you do.

Maybe you'll have a better experience with lucky number 4?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    Well, you did say "I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead", when in reality letting the battery fully go dead is never a proper way to treat a Li-Ion battery---sarcastic or not.

And I think in time you'll find customer service reps generally know less about the products they're selling than you do.

Maybe you'll have a better experience with lucky number 4?
    Nice first 2 posts....Your obviously a Trolling Flammer looking for an argument or something...

Lucky number 4???? let's hope so, seeing how the first 3 have been junk... but please continue to grace the forum with your expert advice.

Funny you say your considering the Incredible......by looking at your sig. you've already got one.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Clearly we got off on the wrong foot here. I guess sarcasm and well-intentioned advice are just as easily lost in translation here on the interwebz. I apologize if I that came through the wrong way. Nothing personal, dude. Not trolling for an argument. Just thought it'd be helpful to remind everyone of the new wrinkles in battery technology.

I have a sig? huh, weird...
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    Clearly we got off on the wrong foot here. I guess sarcasm and well-intentioned advice are just as easily lost in translation here on the interwebz. I apologize if I that came through the wrong way. Nothing personal, dude. Not trolling for an argument. Just thought it'd be helpful to remind everyone of the new wrinkles in battery technology.

I have a sig? huh, weird...
    As I said the first time....good info. nuff said
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links