DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Looking for feedback on switching to the incredible.

  1. Droid Newbie
    UAV online's Avatar
    Member #
    118420
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz.ring View Post
    .....The battery life on this phone is worse than any phone I have ever owned....and yes I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead..blah blah blah.....
    Actually, you don't want to fully drain a lithium ion battery like the one in the Incredible, and most portable electronics today. This technique was popularized when nickel-based batteries dominated the market, and is unfortunately often misapplied to Li-Ion batteries. I'm fairly certain I damaged my old ThinkPad's Li-Ion battery and expedited its failure with frequent full discharges. Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries have a kind of "memory" that will reduce their charge capacity if not fully discharged. But Li-Ion batteries do not exhibit this effect. In fact, draining the battery until the device goes dead will unnecessarily strain the battery. It is helpful, however, to periodically (e.g. once a month) recalibrate your onboard battery monitor by running it down to an indicated 0% charge. Much has been published on this matter, for instance:

    HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

    ...

    Look forward to further replies in this thread. I, too, am considering making the switch to the "Dinc".
  2. Senior Droid
    chaz.ring's Avatar
    Member #
    115716
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    170
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chaz.ring View Post
    .....The battery life on this phone is worse than any phone I have ever owned....and yes I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead..blah blah blah.....
    Actually, you don't want to fully drain a lithium ion battery like the one in the Incredible, and most portable electronics today. This technique was popularized when nickel-based batteries dominated the market, and is unfortunately often misapplied to Li-Ion batteries. I'm fairly certain I damaged my old ThinkPad's Li-Ion battery and expedited its failure with frequent full discharges. Nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries have a kind of "memory" that will reduce their charge capacity if not fully discharged. But Li-Ion batteries do not exhibit this effect. In fact, draining the battery until the device goes dead will unnecessarily strain the battery. It is helpful, however, to periodically (e.g. once a month) recalibrate your onboard battery monitor by running it down to an indicated 0% charge. Much has been published on this matter, for instance:

    HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

    ...

    Look forward to further replies in this thread. I, too, am considering making the switch to the "Dinc".
    I did everything as was recommended by the VZW rep. with the first two..... I now just plug it in when its getting low, not dead. I think your reading into my response maybe a bit far, it was sarcasm, hence the blah,blah,blah why the heck would I intentionally let my phone die to the point it shut off every time before re-charging it.

    Good info though.....
    Last edited by chaz.ring; 09-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    UAV online's Avatar
    Member #
    118420
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    #13
    Well, you did say "I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead", when in reality letting the battery fully go dead is never a proper way to treat a Li-Ion battery---sarcastic or not.

    And I think in time you'll find customer service reps generally know less about the products they're selling than you do.

    ...

    Maybe you'll have a better experience with lucky number 4?
  4. Senior Droid
    chaz.ring's Avatar
    Member #
    115716
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    170
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
    Well, you did say "I know how to properly charge and let the battery fully go dead", when in reality letting the battery fully go dead is never a proper way to treat a Li-Ion battery---sarcastic or not.

    And I think in time you'll find customer service reps generally know less about the products they're selling than you do.

    ...

    Maybe you'll have a better experience with lucky number 4?
    Nice first 2 posts....Your obviously a Trolling Flammer looking for an argument or something...

    Lucky number 4???? let's hope so, seeing how the first 3 have been junk... but please continue to grace the forum with your expert advice.

    Funny you say your considering the Incredible......by looking at your sig. you've already got one.
  5. Droid Newbie
    UAV online's Avatar
    Member #
    118420
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    #15
    Clearly we got off on the wrong foot here. I guess sarcasm and well-intentioned advice are just as easily lost in translation here on the interwebz. I apologize if I that came through the wrong way. Nothing personal, dude. Not trolling for an argument. Just thought it'd be helpful to remind everyone of the new wrinkles in battery technology.

    ...

    I have a sig? huh, weird...
  6. Senior Droid
    chaz.ring's Avatar
    Member #
    115716
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    170
    Phone
    Rooted Incredible
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by UAV online View Post
    Clearly we got off on the wrong foot here. I guess sarcasm and well-intentioned advice are just as easily lost in translation here on the interwebz. I apologize if I that came through the wrong way. Nothing personal, dude. Not trolling for an argument. Just thought it'd be helpful to remind everyone of the new wrinkles in battery technology.

    ...

    I have a sig? huh, weird...
    As I said the first time....good info. nuff said
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from Eris to Incredible
    By WorldOfJohnboy in forum Droid Incredible FAQ
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 01:23 AM
  2. Feedback on 2.2
    By shov76 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
  3. Switching to Droid Incredible
    By SmartphoneNewbie in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
  4. Switching Droid to Incredible... and an app question!
    By roadrunnersk in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
  5. Switching to Incredible from Droid, how do I transfer my apps?
    By the5rivers in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Search tags for this page

android battery dead can phone ring#gsc.tab
,

android phone does it ring if battery dead

,
do you let the batterey die completely on the droid incredib
,
does a droid ring if its dead
,
does a droid ring when it's dead
,
does a droid ring when the battery is dead?
,

if an android is dead does it ring?

,
my droid incredible has poor battery life
,
phone rings even when battery is dead
,
verizon droid rings even if its dead
,
what to do if li-ion battery for droid incredible is,drainin
,
will a droid ring even if its dead
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+