DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charging in Car doesn't provide enough juice?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid2
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekweb View Post
    I have D1 stock, mounted with proclip on airvent. While running GPS, Trapster and pandora, it still chrges up to full. Sounds like the heat theory is plausable, but since I have a vent mount it stays cool.
    Can't say whether it was a heat issue or not. The phone did get warm but it wasn't in direct sunlight. It was on the console and the interior AC was cranked.

I'm leaning toward using a proclip bracket, one that straddles the AC vent. But I wonder whether the rushing air from the vent might cause problems with the mic pickup. I could, of course, close the vent.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    yeah, that is the drawback to the vent mount. Voice search is amazingly accurate with air flow off and always wrong when it is on. Speaker phone calls are better with air flow off also. Otherwise, proclip vent mount is great, but expensive.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola v325...grr...
    i was using the verizon oem during the testing from my original post.

i got this too...

Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Service

is this 1amp?

if not, which scosche one did you get?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D Inc
    I had same issue pre 2.2 and I'm 100% sure it was heat related.

I had my Dinc in a mount that completely covered the back of the unit. Also it was on my windshield in full sun light. On a 7 hour trip it lost charge with just GPS on and maybe Pandora.

When I wasn't driving I had it my hand and I did notice that it was very hot and the battery monitor told me the bat temp was over 42c. I actually held it up to the vent to cool it off because it was hard to hold..

Since then I have modified my mount to get better airflow but haven't had any chance to really try it out.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by chartle View Post
    I had same issue pre 2.2 and I'm 100% sure it was heat related.

I had my Dinc in a mount that completely covered the back of the unit. Also it was on my windshield in full sun light. On a 7 hour trip it lost charge with just GPS on and maybe Pandora.

When I wasn't driving I had it my hand and I did notice that it was very hot and the battery monitor told me the bat temp was over 42c. I actually held it up to the vent to cool it off because it was hard to hold..

Since then I have modified my mount to get better airflow but haven't had any chance to really try it out.
    You never want to leave the phone in sunlight, especially as you describe it.
    I too have this issue with my Droid if I leave it overclocked to 1.2GHz. To combat the issue, I have SetCPU to lower the click speed to stock 550MHz when plugged in and it charges properly now, as long as I keep it out of sunlight so it doesn't heat up.
    Also, if your battery temp reaches 140f it will damage your battery.

My Droid Does Tapatalk...
    HTC Rezound... Stock for now, with the Tag Home launcher...
    This link here will answer 90% of your issues: Click Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jntowers
    12 mp camera? are we going to be putting these pictures on billboards?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola v325...grr...
    HMm... VERY interesting theory w/ the heat..... when i drove TO the amusement park, it was the morning, full sun. when i drove home (albeit w/ bluetooth off), it was night... no sun. Hmm.....

So the problem might be the phone telling itself that the battery is overheating and the charging is slowed to compensate? interesting w/ the vents...

1. is there a website for the proclip that you guys use? do you recommend it? good clip? i'm using the Arkon windshield mount w/ the mega grip holder.
    2. what is the scosche charger that you use that has the 1 amp power output?
    3. i have a adapter to convert dc to ac, meaning i can take a regular wall outlet plug and plug it in my car and use that. do you think that will charge better?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D Inc
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpod View Post
    HMm... VERY interesting theory w/ the heat..... when i drove TO the amusement park, it was the morning, full sun. when i drove home (albeit w/ bluetooth off), it was night... no sun. Hmm.....

So the problem might be the phone telling itself that the battery is overheating and the charging is slowed to compensate? interesting w/ the vents...

1. is there a website for the proclip that you guys use? do you recommend it? good clip? i'm using the Arkon windshield mount w/ the mega grip holder.
    2. what is the scosche charger that you use that has the 1 amp power output?
    3. i have a adapter to convert dc to ac, meaning i can take a regular wall outlet plug and plug it in my car and use that. do you think that will charge better?
    For me when the battery got hot it just stopped charging.

For a USB charger I just found one at WalMart for around $6 in the automotive section it claims to put out 1A.

As for the inverter it would depend on the output. Also it would be very inefficient since its taking 12 volts DC sending it through some circuitry to make 120 volts AC and then your wall charger has to bring that down to 5 volts DC for the phone.
    Last edited by chartle; 09-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola v325...grr...
    how does that walmart charger work for you?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D Inc
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpod View Post
    how does that walmart charger work for you?
    Seems fine. I don't like that its white and is kind of long but I can live with it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    is this an incredible problem Charging in Car doesn't provide enough juice? or is it the same problem for any droid with 2.2?

thanks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links