DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: voice dialing grossly inaccurate

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

voice dialing grossly inaccurate

I've tried voice dialing and speak very clearly the name of someone in my contacts -- "Rosalie" -- and her number is in there under her name. But instead I get a list with "Bill" and few other contacts nowhere near the "R"s.
    What's up with that?

I've seen others here say they simply use Google voice for the task with no problem. Well, I registered and downloaded it and when I created a required pin it churned a bit and then told me it could not verify my phone number, try again, the very number I'd just used to have it email me the download link.

I Googled that problem and some say you have to be "invited" by someone to get Google voice.

Whatever.

Any advice on voice dialing?

On this one, I miss opening my old clam shell phone, pressing a button on the side as I did so, and saying simply "Rosalie"......not even "call Rosalie" but just saying the name.
    And when I closed the clam shell the call was ended, even with my eyes closed. What an amazing technology.
    Nowadays I push a button to get the screen re-lit, squint to find and rub the pertinent portion of the screen end the call. That's progress, I suppose.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by journalboy View Post
    I've tried voice dialing and speak very clearly the name of someone in my contacts -- "Rosalie" -- and her number is in there under her name. But instead I get a list with "Bill" and few other contacts nowhere near the "R"s.
    What's up with that?

I've seen others here say they simply use Google voice for the task with no problem. Well, I registered and downloaded it and when I created a required pin it churned a bit and then told me it could not verify my phone number, try again, the very number I'd just used to have it email me the download link.

I Googled that problem and some say you have to be "invited" by someone to get Google voice.

Whatever.

Any advice on voice dialing?

On this one, I miss opening my old clam shell phone, pressing a button on the side as I did so, and saying simply "Rosalie"......not even "call Rosalie" but just saying the name.
    And when I closed the clam shell the call was ended, even with my eyes closed. What an amazing technology.
    Nowadays I push a button to get the screen re-lit, squint to find and rub the pertinent portion of the screen end the call. That's progress, I suppose.
    You did have to be invited before, but I believed that they opened it to everyone. I would try gesture search if you could, it does require you to write the name though. Also you may be able to calibrate the voice search app, I didn't see an option for it though. Also I have the last names of everyone in my phone book, this helps to narrow it down, like instead of "Call Rosalie" I would say "Call Rosalie Johnson" and that should keep it from jumping around. One last suggestion, I notice that when people have names that aren't as common, such as Mittesh, you may have to say the name the way the computer thinks it is said unless you can set a certain sound or calibrate it, so maybe try Rose-a-lie and see if that will bring it up, let us know what you find.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC INCREDIBLE
    Someone def. needs to fix the voice dialing it is crap, what is the deal with no blue tooth dial either my old blackberry storm one had these features and the recognition was spot on.That is about the only thing I miss.

Links