DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any way to clear a bad ESN on Verizon???

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (ROOT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarshReality View Post
    Ive actually visited a store with a receipt of purchase and had an ESN cleared and activated.
    yea but most people with droids with bad ESNs dont have the receipt so your case it really doesnt sound like a bad ESN
    I didnt say it was a Droid My reference was to purchase of a second hand phone which at the time I was with Sprint and the phone was a Centro purchased off eBay. Turned out the previous owner had it blacklisted because of the owed overdue balance. Once I showed the transaction notes from my card and the eBay purchase they simply freed the phone so I could use it on my account. Of course as I said I had to goto a store here to do it as over the phone isnt the easiest way to verify things.

I understand the methodology behind blacklisting ESNs by a company but honestly dont follow the outright fear people have over gettng a flagged one. Some act like its a timebomb your playing hot potato with and your the one holding it waiting for it to go off and tell you you have just wasted your money and time. Truth be told carriers are going to get their satisfaction one way or another.. the bill will get paid or they will splash paint all over your credit report. They dont really care at all about the phone or who uses it as long tas they get paid.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Ive actually visited a store with a receipt of purchase and had an ESN cleared and activated.
    yea but most people with droids with bad ESNs dont have the receipt so your case it really doesnt sound like a bad ESN
    I didnt say it was a Droid My reference was to purchase of a second hand phone which at the time I was with Sprint and the phone was a Centro purchased off eBay. Turned out the previous owner had it blacklisted because of the owed overdue balance. Once I showed the transaction notes from my card and the eBay purchase they simply freed the phone so I could use it on my account. Of course as I said I had to goto a store here to do it as over the phone isnt the easiest way to verify things.

I understand the methodology behind blacklisting ESNs by a company but honestly dont follow the outright fear people have over gettng a flagged one. Some act like its a timebomb your playing hot potato with and your the one holding it waiting for it to go off and tell you you have just wasted your money and time. Truth be told carriers are going to get their satisfaction one way or another.. the bill will get paid or they will splash paint all over your credit report. They dont really care at all about the phone or who uses it as long tas they get paid.
    Ain't gonna happen on the VZW network at all.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible

A phone being blacklisted and a phone being turned off due to a past due balance are two very different things. The "blacklist" is for lost/stolen phones, and only the account holder can remove a phone from the list. If they did an insurance claim, then only the insurance company can remove it from the list. If it simply got turned off because they didn't pay their bill and their lines were cancelled, then you can still activate the device on another line. As long as it isn't currently active on another active line. No clearing of the ESN necessary. The stores don't have that capability anyway, if it works it works, if not it doesn't.

In the case of the original poster, the phone cannot be activated until it has first been activated on the line it was purchased for. The ESN is locked until the Terms and Conditions of the contract for the purchasing mobile number are accepted. If they are not accepted, the phone cannot be activated. And the people who originally purchased the phone will probably get charged the full amount for the phone for not accepting the contract, since the discounted price is conditional to signing a two-year contract. So it really is a bad idea to buy a phone from ebay that says "bad ESN", no matter what the circumstances. You'll just out yourself a lot of money most likely.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

I think I may be out of luck

I just bought my husband a Droid on ebay that said the ESN was clean, when he went to get it activated today they said it did not have a clean ESN. I realize now we should have checked the ESN before purschasing, but is there anything we can do?

Thanks
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMiezio View Post
    I just bought my husband a Droid on ebay that said the ESN was clean, when he went to get it activated today they said it did not have a clean ESN. I realize now we should have checked the ESN before purschasing, but is there anything we can do?

Thanks
    File a complaint with ebay and paypal (which I hope you used)....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    I have given up buying anything on eBay. Too many con artist/liers are on it and I would rather spend my money elsewhere.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    The Killer Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by EMiezio View Post

Thanks
    Is it illegal for me to say this? If so help me and advice me but. Cricket is not not verizon company and will flash these phones to their phone. Cricket is offering a android package (3g network) for 55 dollars. Craiglist if you do a search at you're area and there is cricket coverage, they shouldn't charge you over 100 or consider rip off for flashing. Droid x being flash no matter bad esn or good cost less then 100 some places here cost 75 for full flash also we can do it for free by doing research. Cricket is a good company for bad esn and for boost mobile. I'm still paying and tied with 2 year contract with droid x but actually 1 year because i am able to upgrade in one year and i keep my phone and i'm done with contract but from there i start another 2 year contract i dubt it though.

Unlimited $55 plan
    includes
    talk
    long distance
    text
    voicemail
    caller ID
    picture messaging
    video messaging
    call waiting
    3-way calling
    mobile web
    call forwarding
    data backup
    international text
    Android Market
    html web browsing
    mobile email
    Google Mobile Service
    plus
    free shipping
    no overages
    no catch

add to cart

You pay $55 per month, period. No monthly data fee required. Other carriers charge up to $30 a month in data fees. At Cricket it's simple: get unlimited talk, text and data and use your Android Smartphone to stay connected, anywhere within Cricket's nationwide coverage area.

You will have the freedom to travel with access to mobile email, full HTML browsing and exclusive Android features including Google Mobile Services and apps from Android Market.
    Plus, you get caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, international text, video and picture messaging, 411, mobile web, 3-way calling and data backup.

Get an unlimited Android Smartphone plan today with no additional fees, no contracts and no catch.

Plan Features
    Coverage
    US Long Distance
    UNLIMITED
    Included Minutes
    Anytime Minutes
    UNLIMITED
    Connectivity
    UNLIMITED
    Nationwide Roaming Minutes
    Available Add-on
    Night and Weekend Minutes
    UNLIMITED
    Plan Features
    3-Way Calling
    Included
    Call Forwarding
    Included
    Call Waiting
    Included
    Caller ID
    Included
    Data access with no extra fees
    Included
    Data Backup
    Included
    International Text
    UNLIMITED
    Mobile Email
    Included
    Mobile Web
    UNLIMITED
    Picture Messaging
    UNLIMITED
    Talk
    UNLIMITED
    Text Messaging
    UNLIMITED
    Unlimited International Long Distance
    Available Add-on
    Video Messaging
    UNLIMITED
    Voicemail
    Included
    Other Possible Charges
    Roaming Charges per Minute
    $0.25 per minute
    roaming available
    Contract Terms and Fees
    Activation Fee
    None
    Carrier's Early Termination Fee
    None
    Contract Term
    None
    Security Deposit
    None
    Wireless Network
    Network Type
    Digital Cellular
    Technology
    CDMA

add to cart

We may limit or terminate your Service without prior notice if you no longer reside and have a mailing address in a Cricket-owned network coverage area or if a majority of your voice and/or data usage is on a Partner network during the previous month.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible
    if they had cricket in the keys i would be all over that. i hate paying verizon soo much money. im looking for another company that will work just as well have the bad ass droids. any other good suggestions
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woehoss View Post
    If it simply got turned off because they didn't pay their bill and their lines were cancelled, then you can still activate the device on another line. As long as it isn't currently active on another active line. No clearing of the ESN necessary. The stores don't have that capability anyway, if it works it works, if not it doesn't.
    This is absolutely, 100% false. If someone cancels their account and there is money owed on the account, the phone ESN is put on the blacklist, and will not be able to activate it. Why you ask? Because the owner of the account owes money on the account, they did not fulfill their contract obligations, and therefore the phone is worthless on anyone's account until it has been paid up.

Think about it, if someone could open a VZW account and add 5 lines, then a month later close the account and sell the 5 phones, VZW would lose a ton of money quickly.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    All This Talk About Phones With Bad ESN, Just Get The Damn Thing Flashed, I've Had Plenty of Phones With Bad ESN's Flashed Over To Cricket. With All of These New Up & Coming Hackers (I'm A Old One,Lol), Bad ESN's Are Really Going To Become Obsolete Because There Is So Much New Technology & A New Generation of Hackers To Overcome It..Especially The Extremely Smart Brainiacs Here on Driod Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links