DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PDANet tethering speeds low?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

PDANet tethering speeds low?

Well, I just got my Incredible, coming from a BB Storm 9530. so far I love the phone, haven't really done much to it, just downloaded a couple of apps and such. The response time for this phone is outstanding. The only issue I have is that I notice my PDAnet tethering speeds are not that great. I've done various speed tests and average about .43 mps download/ .45 mps uploads. Now the upload speeds are good, but the download speeds seem quite a bit slower than my Storm. Anyone else having any issues with their download speeds?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID Incredible FroYo
    Downloading is indeed slow, but I use it mostly for browsing anyway.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    I would try a speed test directly from your phone and compare those results with what you are seeing from PDANet.

I say this because after installing PDANet for the first time, I accidentally left my WiFi on my phone turned ON.

When I performed the speed test, I got over 10Mbps! I was shocked by this, so I did performed the test a second time and got the very same result.

It was only after I checked the server I was connected to did I realize I was connected to a Comcast server. I checked the phone and noticed I was still connected via WiFi. Once I disabled WiFi on the phone, and got around 600kbps, a bit more like the VZW speeds I was expecting.

My point is that PDANet shouldn't slow you down versus what you get from testing directly on the phone. My WiFi mistake demonstrated that if VZW could provide sufficient bandwidth, the PDANet could stream it just as quickly, without hampering performance.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have just installed PDAnet only to find the download speeds horrible as well. I tested this 10 times in a row using wired tether and pdanet. PDAnet maxxed out at 1mbit (on my wifi) every single time, and wired tether went at 3mbitss every time. So sad to see such a great little program have such drastic speed issues. (this was over usb not bluetooth)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted HTC Incredible
    Yes, my PDANet speeds were atrocious. Partly due to the fact that I tether mostly at work and don't get great reception at my desk.

USB tethered speeds are always going to be better than Bluetooth tethered speeds.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    I think it depends on if your in 3G coverage or not because at times I get great speeds with it. I was just wondering if I use it for sites like youtube or anything else that streams videos such as netflix etc etc, will that be a dead give away that I'm tethering? Don't want to look at a trillion dollar phone bill if possible to avoid it!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID Incredible FroYo
    You signed a 2 year contract for unlimited data and that's what you'll get. They have to honor their side of the deal too.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    I sure as hell would hope that's the case but I have heard stories of people using tethering thru pdanet and having a outrageous bill at the end of the month. We'll see next month I guess
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2.1
    Im still running 2.1 on my droid with pda net and get good speeds tethering as long as my 3g sig is good
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zMd113 View Post
    You signed a 2 year contract for unlimited data and that's what you'll get. They have to honor their side of the deal too.
    the 2 year contract also states that wireless tethering is in violation of his contract lol. read it more carefully
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links