DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Apps keep running in background

  1. Senior Droid
    stanwelks's Avatar
    Member #
    208
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    #1

    Apps keep running in background

    I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

    BBC News
    Google Search
    Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this?
    Last.FM
    Rosie Utility - what is this?
    Touch Input - what is this?

    Thanks.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    JCo352's Avatar
    Member #
    36721
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,830
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid A855
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post
    I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

    BBC News Delete it if you don't want it running.
    Google Search Nothing you can do there.
    Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this? Same as above
    Last.FM Delete it, like BBC news
    Rosie Utility - what is this? You need this stop killing it
    Touch Input - what is this?You need this also stop killing it

    Thanks.
    Task killers are ok as long as you're not killing the wrong things.
    FroYo
    Follow me on
    Twitter
  4. Premium Member
    doug piston's Avatar
    Member #
    17066
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,203
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JCo352 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post
    I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

    Advanced Task killer Delete the pos
    BBC News Delete it if you don't want it running.
    Google Search Nothing you can do there.
    Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this? Same as above
    Last.FM Delete it, like BBC news
    Rosie Utility - what is this? You need this stop killing it
    Touch Input - what is this?You need this also stop killing it

    Thanks.
    Task killers are ok as long as you're not killing the wrong things.

    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
  5. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    #4
    Task killers are OK but just don't set them up to auto kill. If you need to kill an app now and then it's fine but your Incredible will know when to actually close those apps.

    Besides they are not really running in the background they are sitting there open but inactive. They are not using battery, I assume that the Incredible has a battery use check on it correct? You can check that for confirmation.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Senior Droid
    stanwelks's Avatar
    Member #
    208
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    #5
    What do you mean by that?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCo352 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post
    I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

    BBC News Delete it if you don't want it running.
    Google Search Nothing you can do there.
    Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this? Same as above
    Last.FM Delete it, like BBC news
    Rosie Utility - what is this? You need this stop killing it
    Touch Input - what is this?You need this also stop killing it

    Thanks.
    Task killers are ok as long as you're not killing the wrong things.
  7. Senior Droid
    stanwelks's Avatar
    Member #
    208
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    #6
    Thanks I will read it.

    Quote Originally Posted by doug piston View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JCo352 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post
    I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

    Advanced Task killer Delete the pos
    BBC News Delete it if you don't want it running.
    Google Search Nothing you can do there.
    Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this? Same as above
    Last.FM Delete it, like BBC news
    Rosie Utility - what is this? You need this stop killing it
    Touch Input - what is this?You need this also stop killing it

    Thanks.
    Task killers are ok as long as you're not killing the wrong things.

    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
  8. Senior Droid
    stanwelks's Avatar
    Member #
    208
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    #7
    Reason that I wanted to do this was I was gone yesterday until 10pm and I was trying to save as much battery as possible. Apps like the BBC are constantly looking for news stories, I could change the update frequency, I just figured I would end the task along with others in one swoop.


    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Task killers are OK but just don't set them up to auto kill. If you need to kill an app now and then it's fine but your Incredible will know when to actually close those apps.

    Besides they are not really running in the background they are sitting there open but inactive. They are not using battery, I assume that the Incredible has a battery use check on it correct? You can check that for confirmation.
  9. Premium Member
    doug piston's Avatar
    Member #
    17066
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,203
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    TundaBolt
    Premium Member
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwelks View Post
    Reason that I wanted to do this was I was gone yesterday until 10pm and I was trying to save as much battery as possible. Apps like the BBC are constantly looking for news stories, I could change the update frequency, I just figured I would end the task along with others in one swoop.


    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Task killers are OK but just don't set them up to auto kill. If you need to kill an app now and then it's fine but your Incredible will know when to actually close those apps.

    Besides they are not really running in the background they are sitting there open but inactive. They are not using battery, I assume that the Incredible has a battery use check on it correct? You can check that for confirmation.

    if that is your mission to save battery instead of killing the app go into the app and change its update interval to something longer or for you manually update when you want
  10. Droid
    bl42ed0's Avatar
    Member #
    64088
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    57
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    #9

    Re: Apps keep running in background

    Killing apps is unnecessary. If you compare tasks that are "running" and what is using your battery (you can see from settings->about phone) apps that aren't being used doesn't use your battery. Think of it as MAC OS. Programs not currently in use don't use up memory, which in turn saves battery.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  11. Droid Ninja
    Darkseider's Avatar
    Member #
    46256
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bl42ed0 View Post
    Killing apps is unnecessary. If you compare tasks that are "running" and what is using your battery (you can see from settings->about phone) apps that aren't being used doesn't use your battery. Think of it as MAC OS. Programs not currently in use don't use up memory, which in turn saves battery.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "Think of it as MAC OS."

    I just threw up a little in my mouth.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

    LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

    It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Apps keep running in background
    By w0lfinator in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM
  2. background apps running
    By astscott in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM
  3. Apps running in background, Help.
    By MordeKyle in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM
  4. apps running in the background
    By rayswift in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Search tags for this page

apps keep running
,
apps keep running on android
,
how to keep apps from running
,

rosie utility

,
rosie utility android app
,
rosie utility for android
,
rosie utility htc
,

what is rosie utility

,
what is rosie utility app
,
what is rosie utility htc
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+