DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredible can't connect to 3G network?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible (Verizon)

Unhappy Incredible can't connect to 3G network?

Got my Incredible... still trying to get up and running. The out-of-the-box activation failed, then I spent 50 min on phone with VZW tech getting all the activation info manually entered. Phone works now, but we got stuck trying to get the mobile network connected. It just hangs on "turning on..." and no 3G logo appears. Going outside & walking around didn't help...nor did switching in & out of "airplane mode".

Wifi works no problem with my router (and several of my neighbors' )

I live in the SF Bay area (Atherton) right off the main drag (El Camino Real)... there are cell towers everywhere. My VZW Razr v9m has no probs connecting to the net to grab apps etc--the EVDO signal is always 3 or 4 bars. I don't see other posts about this problem, just raves... so did I get a lemon phone, or am I just missing something simple?
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Got my Incredible... still trying to get up and running. The out-of-the-box activation failed, then I spent 50 min on phone with VZW tech getting all the activation info manually entered. Phone works now, but we got stuck trying to get the mobile network connected. It just hangs on "turning on..." and no 3G logo appears. Going outside & walking around didn't help...nor did switching in & out of "airplane mode".

Wifi works no problem with my router (and several of my neighbors' )

I live in the SF Bay area (Atherton) right off the main drag (El Camino Real)... there are cell towers everywhere. My VZW Razr v9m has no probs connecting to the net to grab apps etc--the EVDO signal is always 3 or 4 bars. I don't see other posts about this problem, just raves... so did I get a lemon phone, or am I just missing something simple?
    Try resetting your PRLs. *228 option 2. If you can't do that then it looks like you're going to the Verizon store.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible (Verizon)
    *228 opt 2 was one of the things the tech had me do... I tried it again, but it didn't change things.

Then I remembered how the oob automatic activation never completed, so I called back and did opt 1 for a complete reprogram. I'm still not on the internet via 3G, but now the connection no longer hangs at "turning on..." -- it goes to "disconnected b/c service is unavailable".

That's more informative, though I'm afraid what it's telling me is that my Incredible's reception sucks compared to my Moto RAZR2 V9m. Exactly how near a tower do you have to be to get good 3G?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Take it back - don't hesitate. Mine activated with no problems. Full signal,3G, everything. Sounds like a hardware issue.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible (Verizon)

Update

Well, I put the phone away for a few hours and then tried again around 10PM, toggling Airplane Mode and then turning off WiFi.

This time the 3G logo showed up and the mobile network connected right away. I'm getting reasonable D/L speeds (1 Mbps) with WiFi off. So now it looks like it was circadian variations in the 3G signal at my house...or maybe all you crazy Incredible fanboys activating your phones at once just overloaded everything for a while.
    Guess I'll see what happens with my connection tomorrow...
    Last edited by cantare; 04-30-2010 at 02:08 AM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I've had this problem since Tuesday. Tried reactivating, hard reset, airplane mode toggle, called Verizon, took it to the store. Nothing. Can't get a new one because they are sold out everywhere. A few people seem to have this issue and are able to resolve it, anything else I should try?
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible (Verizon)
    I don't have an easy answer... all I know is, I did a *228 reprogram, powered down & charged until late evening, then disabled WiFi and cycled airplane mode, upon which it worked.
    The tech implied there was some sort of initial authentication when first connecting to the 3G network that required a strong signal...after which you could use the net even if the quality got worse. If he wasn't just bs'ing, it might be worthwhile taking the phone close to a tower to get that first connection.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Just go to the store and make them fix it or give you a new one.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible

Same issue

I just got the Incredible last week and have enjoyed it. But after a storm this morning the system went weird and I lost my 3g connection. At same time cable and wifi went down so I was in the data dark!

Called Verizon, they saw no problem. Told me to shut down, battery removal. Nothing. Did the *228 update for roaming, nothing.

Finally, I turned off wifi and the phone cycled back unto the 3g signal. Strange. I hope it will not be a regular thing upon restarts.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible "past-MotoDrd"
    Always be suspicious on a weekend... tons of people play on 3G in the eves.
    I noticed yesterday even My download speed dropped to the 200's while my upload maintained in 800's or so..... but it was sporatic.. sometimes it was the other way around.

I blamed it on the Cowboys, Rangers, Titans, tampa bay fans all in one spot.... about 150000 people trying to go home in one stadium and get to the other stadium at the same time!

I suspect in an effort for people to not drop calls and not even be able to connect that the network temporarily limits the bandwidth during very heavy call volumes.
    Just a suspicion....
    The Second Mouse gets the Cheese!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links