DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Organizing photos and albums in stock Gallery app -- am I missing something?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible

Organizing photos and albums in stock Gallery app -- am I missing something?

Hey guys. I am trying to figure out how the organize my own folders in the stock Gallery app on the phone, so that I can have "Italy Trip" and "People" and "Funny" folders, for example, and I can put photos (JPEGs) into these folders by mounting my phone's SD card on my Mac, and then copying/moving/deleting photos in these folders. I do not want to have my photos stored on my phone's internal flash memory, just on the SD card. Then when I launch the "Gallery" app on my phone, I want it to show my albums, and I can tap on one and view the pictures, etc. Hopefully this is not an unusual use case, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here's what I've tried.

* Plug HTC DINC2 into Mac
    * Select "Disk Drive - Mount as disk drive" Connection Type
    * Mac shows exactly one new volume called NONAME, which is the root directory of my SD Card
    * I observe that pictures and videos I take with the phone are stored in /DCIM/100MEDIA/ on this volume
    * (I am not sure why i don't see a second volume that is the root directory of my phone's internal flash, but whatever)

Ok great! So I create some test folders, stash some test images therein, and then disconnect the volume:
    /DCIM/Test1/
    /DCIM/100MEDIA/Test2

And when I launch Gallery, what do I see? The same old stuff

Camera Shots
    All photos
    All videos
    All downloads

Then at the bottom are some icons for annoying web 2.0 crap that I never use, like Facebook, Flickr, and "Connect...". The menu has some crapware (VCAST Videos?) and an option to show/hide the four albums listed above.

Soo.. what's the secret here? Is there a better Gallery app that 'just works' (and doesn't have crapware and web 2.0 crap), or am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by goffredo; 10-02-2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Removed weird auto-appended Google footer (WTF?)
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

QuickPic

Sorry no one has replied to your question. I have found that there is no way to do it in the stock Gallery. I use QuickPic. It's awesome for creating folders as well. Very easy to use.
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    +1 for QuickPic. Been using it over stock gallery for months now.

4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Incredible
    Any chance one of you QuickPic users would be willing to put a step by step on how to move pictures to different folders? When I long hold a picture and select move to, it isn't giving me any of the picture folders that I created last time I was on a pc as an option to move it to...
    Thanks!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
    I tried to make folders too, didn't show on phone. I I haven't tried it yet, but the app Zipper will let you make folders and move things....
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Ya i ended up getting QuickPic. It seems to work ok. It's a little less intuitive than I'd like -- i.e., I'm going to actually have to read something to figure out how to make it work to my liking, but I might be asking for too much.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The problem I have with qp is that opening a pic msg, if I use it, it gives me qn error. Although I use it as my gallery app now. I like the sort by date. I hated scrolling to the end of the stock gallary

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Godly 1 View Post
    Any chance one of you QuickPic users would be willing to put a step by step on how to move pictures to different folders? When I long hold a picture and select move to, it isn't giving me any of the picture folders that I created last time I was on a pc as an option to move it to...
    Thanks!
    Go into quickpic. Enter the folder you want to move pics from. On top right you see a box with a check in it. Hit that.

You will now see grey check boxes over the pics. Manually select pics, or on bottom left bar that appears, press the double check icon to select them all.

Once you select the pics, third icon from left, looks like a street sign for a right turn. Hit that. Then find the folder you want (dcim) and subfolderor add a new folder and hit ok.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I downloaded this app Pics organizer easy to use works great https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...HJpbWV0ZWNoIl0. +1
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    S3

Camera app that creates album. No more infinite camera rolls.

Our app aiCam allows you to create albums right from the camera. It eliminates the need of post processing of large camera rolls. I am sure you will find our app quite useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.ai.aicam

Links