DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible 2 vs Thunderbolt for a non-power user

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Incredible 2 vs Thunderbolt for a non-power user

Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

What would you choose? Thanks for reading and thanks for the great forums.

j.
    Last edited by jackson495; 04-28-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarified purchase criteria
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson495 View Post
    Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

j.
    Well, If you like HTC stuff I'd say wait for the Inc 2. For me 3G is fine, my next phone will probably be 3G as well.

Any smart phone you get you will be disappointed by the battery life. I don't have the TB but I understand that if you keep it off 4G and use 3G it's better. But what's the point of having a smart phone if you can't use it with all it's abilities?
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I would go recommend thunderbolt for two reasons. One thunderbolt allow talk and data and you can use 4g. Even if you don't have 4 g now it is better to have that feature since you will be stuck for 2 year contract. Yes the battery life is.an issue but with the extended battery its a non issue. But if you gonna be stuck with a device.for.2 years at least be.able.to.use 4g.

sent from droidforums app
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I looked at the Incredible 2 when i got my Bolt today. Good phone but the Thunderbolt is much faster on 3G and really fast on 4G. I just text, make phone calls and browse the internet along with playing games. It can do much more and so can the Incredible. Just go in there and play with both and see what you like.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson495 View Post
    Hi everyone -

j.
    Well, If you like HTC stuff I'd say wait for the Inc 2. For me 3G is fine, my next phone will probably be 3G as well.

Any smart phone you get you will be disappointed by the battery life. I don't have the TB but I understand that if you keep it off 4G and use 3G it's better. But what's the point of having a smart phone if you can't use it with all it's abilities?
    Yes companies are still learning the new technology of LTE but to get a 3g smartphone and pay high end money at this point is pointless. Yes 3g is fast but I use 3 g on my tbolt mainly. But the difference is with the tbolt I can use LTE if I want. At this point I think its best to upgrade to a.4g capable phone now or wait until next year. I see it as if you going to.be stuck for 2 yrs get a device that can use LTE technology or you will be regretting it.

sent from droidforums app
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    The other route you could go is buy a clean ESN phone (Incredible 1 or Mot Droid 1 would be dead cheap on Craigslist or eBay) and you could just add the data plan. That way wouldn't lock you into a new contract and you'd be free to see how the 4g road pans out.

I bought my wife a Droid Inc for $130 from someone local and she loves it. Plus, the 1st and 2nd generation phones are still VERY impressive.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle923 View Post
    The other route you could go is buy a clean ESN phone (Incredible 1 or Mot Droid 1 would be dead cheap on Craigslist or eBay) and you could just add the data plan. That way wouldn't lock you into a new contract and you'd be free to see how the 4g road pans out.

I bought my wife a Droid Inc for $130 from someone local and she loves it. Plus, the 1st and 2nd generation phones are still VERY impressive.

Good idea....If you are not sold on what is out this year get a device off ebay, ie droid x, inc, d2, ...etc.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incerdible 2 (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle923 View Post

Great advice. I tried Thunderbolt and found it bulky/heavy and a battery vampire.

Bought Incredible 2 today and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for me.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Good choice. I prefer the my phones a little bigger. Incredible 2 felt too thin, but it is still a great phone.

Raiden sent this...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Hate to bring it up, but you might want to look at a blackberry. If phone is primary, there's nothing better than a bb. Dedicated call and end keys just make it a more phone-like experience. Messaging is also top notch. Browsing kind of stinks, but suitable for most major sites with mobile versions. Youtube works fine. Nav would cost extra.

I love my droid pro and android, but if you're open to finding the best device out there for you, might as well throw a bb in the first round.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links