DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low on space

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Low on space

I just got the "low on space" message on my phone. Phone storage space is getting low. Internal phone storage is at 11MB . I'm not sure why because I don't really have that many applications. I do receive some mail with downloads and I can only guess that it's from the downloads. How do I delete downloads or find out what is wrong? Thanks.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Try going into settings/applications/manage applications and clearing the cache on the apps. You have to do this manually one by one so it's a bit tedious, but it will probably help. While you're on the screen where you clear the cache, take note of how much space each app is using. That should go a long way to telling you which apps are taking up your space.

And yes, email with attachments will suck up a lot of space, of which there is limited amount. So deleting any unused/unneeded attachments. Or if you want to keep them move the to your SD card then delete the message to recover the space.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Excellent tip! I was getting wiggy when I hit a low of 37 mb free! Thank you!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I posted this on another thread, but why, why, WHY would anyone setup a pop email account on a portable when you likely could do IMAP?

IMHO, fellow Droid users, if it is an email you also use elsewhere, set it up as IMAP on your Droid and you will have it all!
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    What's the difference between pop and IMAP? My only email address I have now is through my isp and its pop. Is IMAP better and if so can I change it from pop to IMAP?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    A very simple answer would be:
    POP downloads the messages to your email client and removes it from the server. When you access it with one email client, you generally cannot with another email client.
    IMAP messages remain on server and only download/delete based on need. Any email client accessing the account (through web browser, email client, mobile smart phone) will see the same exact stuff (maybe not visually, but content wise).
    This is why RW-1 is asking why anyone would use POP on a portable device. The messages would be downloaded and stored on the phone. If you wanted to access them, you would have to keep them saved on that device.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    POP email downloads the message from your email providers server to the device on which you're reading the email - in this case your phone. Which means you can't read the email on any other device once you've read it once, and the email itself takes up valuable space on your phone.

IMAP allows you to read the email on your device, but doesn't remove it from the server. That way it doesn't take up space on your phone, and you can read the email again from any other device (say, your computer).
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Can you please tell me how to set up imap on my droid.....? or is that gonna be via gmail.com?
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid, just POD
    I've got the low memory problem too. I checked "manage apps" and see that I've got a sum total of zero cache for all applications!?

Now what?
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Try going into the HTC FB App (under Settings) and select "Clear Data" that made the warning go away on my phone. Then use FB for Android from the Market instead. Let us know if that works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links