DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: All Applications Force Close - No Service.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

All Applications Force Close - No Service.

Before I went to sleep last night I set the android to download a bunch of apps from the market. The battery died sometime in the night, and I awoke to recharge the phone and turn it on.

After the initial load screen, all my apps force close and I have to press cancel for every single one. Then my phone refuses to find service here in my home where it usually always has good reception..... This is my first smart phone and I am very lost. How can I troubleshoot this? I imagine one of the 30 or so apps I downloaded is corrupting my phone/computer.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    have you tried powering down, pulling the battery and rebooting?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Eris (HTC Droid Eris)
    Quote Originally Posted by edgekrusher View Post
    ... I imagine one of the 30 or so apps I downloaded is corrupting my phone/computer.
    This is a no-no in a large apps marketplace. One bad app can take down your phone and you've got a huge list to go thru. I always download a few at a time and then reboot before I forget which ones I downloaded (in case I have to remove one or more of them).

The easiest way to uninstall the bad app(s) will be to use the Android "Market" app. But, you're going to need a nework connection to run Marketplace. If wireless-networking doesn't work. Try setting up a WiFi connection.

If that doesn't work, I hope one of the apps you loaded is one of those with an app uninstall feature because app marketplace won't work without a network link (foolish app design). I use Quick Uninstall or the app manager function in Astro File Manager. In your case, I'd try the latter since it can be configured to show (and sort by) the install-date.

If that doesn't work, you can always fall back to using the uninstaller in the settings menu. (I left this for last because there's no way here to sort the apps by install-order...) From the main home screen, select: menu > settings > applications > manage applications > and then select the app to uninstall. The page that comes up after you select the app has an uinstall button on it.

Good luck.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    edgekrusher,
    I had this happen to me as well, I took mine to the Verizon store and had to have a reset to factory defaults. Here are the instructions.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...igure-out.html
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID 2/Squidly 2.3.2.0
    To hard reset if you have to...... (factory wipe) turn the phone off hold down the volume up button and send while pressing the end key to power the phone on..... it will bring you to the recovery screen you want the clear memory option selected by using the volume keys ...... note this causes havoc for the phone reconnecting to the network I had to return my first eris it was never the same fterwards for some reason.... your best bet if uninstalling apps doesn't correct it is to bring It to the store for tech support and let them deal with.... aftwr my hard reset it was like 6 hours of tech support with no resolve.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Eris
    This happenned to me randomly. After unsuccesful resets, I removed all apps that I had downloaded in the last week, the one anti virus app I had, any "questionable" apps, and reset it. It worked! Saved me from a hard reset and losing everything.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Driod Eris

which one?

Were you able to determine which of the apps was the problem?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Eris
    This happened to me this morning. Read this thread, then I uninstalled from last night's download. Seems to have been better android's open home full.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Same thing is happening to me, but i cannot uninstall anything on a boot. Nothing works on power up. I try to hard reset, but the phone will not go into the recovery mode on power on. HELP PLEASE!
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

working again

just wanted to say thank you for the advice. My girlfriend's eris was doing the same thing, fc all apps on boot and not communicating at all except for gps. She told me that 3 apps were updating and she shut them down before they were done (she has little patience) because she was ready to do something else, lol. so i went in and used the eris's built in app manager and uninstalled the last 3 apps she could remember d/l or updated. Rebooted the phone, works like a champ again.

So we learned that we are not always smarter than our phones. you just gotta let it do its thing and wait till its done.

on a side note, I have a moto droid and its worked awesome for me thus far.

Links