DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps/Nav Force Closing

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed

Angry Maps/Nav Force Closing

My wife's Droid Eris w/2.1 installed. Every time I try to use the Navigation portion of maps, it force-closes saying "The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Also, I go into the market and see there is an update for Maps. It downloads OK, but when it goes to install, it say "Package file was not signed correctly."

I tried going into Applications and clearing Data/Cache, but still no fix. I am one step away from doing a Hard Reset of this thing. I just need it to last her until the Droid Incredible I ordered for her to come in (2 weeks-ish).

To make matters worse, someone stole her GPS from the car last night and she wants the navigation on the phone at least for now.

EDIT: I guess I did a "bad" thing and rooted it to go from 1.5 to 2.1 instead of waiting for the OTA... I didn't realize I was rooting it at the time. Others have noticed the same issue with the Google Nav after rooting and I don't see a fix. Is there a sure-fire way to "un-root" the phone and go back to 1.5 and just deal with the OTA updates from Verizon?
    Last edited by WorldOfJohnboy; 07-19-2010 at 10:23 PM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Since you rooted, have you tried a custom rom to see if that fixes your map problem? I run Sense-able [ROM]Sense-able 3.1! OverClock [5/10/10] - xda-developers and everything works very well on it, I'd try a different rom before unrooting.
    I'm pretty sure Full Downgrade from 2.1root (any) to 1.5 stock - FULLY WORKING - xda-developers will get rid of root then re-update to the official 2.1. Also and I assume you would have tried this but just to be sure, did you try uninstalling and reinstalling google maps?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by wyzzerdd View Post
    Since you rooted, have you tried a custom rom to see if that fixes your map problem? I run Sense-able [ROM]Sense-able 3.1! OverClock [5/10/10] - xda-developers and everything works very well on it, I'd try a different rom before unrooting.
    I'm pretty sure Full Downgrade from 2.1root (any) to 1.5 stock - FULLY WORKING - xda-developers will get rid of root then re-update to the official 2.1. Also and I assume you would have tried this but just to be sure, did you try uninstalling and reinstalling google maps?
    I would uninstall it, but there is no option to uninstall. I am going to revert to 1.5 and just do things the normal way... I hope I can figure this out and get it going!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I was mistaken about the unrooting, here is the correct link HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers

also you can uninstall maps, market - menu - downloads - google maps - uninstall
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    OK, per the downgrade instructions:
    Once in the boot loader press volume down, then volume up to get to Amon's recovery image. Go to wipe, wipe dalvik cache, and do a factory reset (aka wipe data). Then choose flash zip from sdcard, and flash downgrade.zip.
    I press vol down, then vol up, but don't see "Amon's Recovery image." It sits on a screen with a white triangle with exclamation point in the middle, and a little greed android dude. It just sits at that screen forever... (I sat for 15 minutes and no change).

Any ideas?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    hmm I remember running into this problem once, try pulling the battery out for a minute and restart.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    I was mistaken about the unrooting, here is the correct link HowTo: Flash Any Ruu - xda-developers

also you can uninstall maps, market - menu - downloads - google maps - uninstall
    First, that unrooting makes even less sense... there is a "com" file but it doesn't have any instructions that make sense.

Secondly, the there is an option to "uninstall" but it's grayed out, can't select.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I am by no means an expert unfortunately on smart phone modding, the guys at www.thefuzz4.net have an IRC irc.thefuzz4.net is where I got most of my questions answered when I first started out doing this stuff. They might be able to help you better then I can unrooting. Heres a link to there directions on how to revert back to 1.5 How To Roll Your Rooted Eris back to stock 1.5
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    I am by no means an expert unfortunately on smart phone modding, the guys at www.thefuzz4.net have an IRC irc.thefuzz4.net is where I got most of my questions answered when I first started out doing this stuff. They might be able to help you better then I can unrooting. Heres a link to there directions on how to revert back to 1.5 How To Roll Your Rooted Eris back to stock 1.5
    Thanks for responding to me, I really appreciate it. You definately know more than I do!

It looks as though I had some different sort of recovery root/bootloader on the phone. I was able to find instructions how to get a more useful one on the phone here: How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Droid Eris (Updated ? 04.08.2010) | TheUnlockr (I followed sections 3 and 4 to load the downgrade.zip)

It's rebooting now and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can get this to last the week or so I need it until the Incredible arrives.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    Woo Hoo! Downgrade to 1.5 worked like a charm once I got the correct root img on there! As soon as I booted up, it stated that there was a system update available!

Thanks again, wyzzerdd, you helped me out immensely!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links