DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: battery life fix

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

battery life fix

i found this on a webpage somwhere,
    install handcent and disable default messaging to fix the battery life issue
    anyone noticed improvement? i installed it just now and will report back later, although i havent figured out if messaging has been disabled...

also mentioned was removing taskiller if it is installed

2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC DROID Eris
    I honestly don't believe this is an issue with the Eris. You can download Spare Parts and check for yourself, however, I tried it and saw no improvements.

I had an issue where my Eris (after a reset) would not go into sleep mode at all. VZW replaced the phone. I left the stock messages app and all is well. Well - as well as can be expected with a small battery. I've learned to adjust my usage style and expectations of the battery.

I love the features and form of the Eris and do not want go the Motorola route. Although they are claiming better battery life, Sense UI rocks. Hoping that 2.0 brings some battery optimizations with it.

Bob
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I love the features and form of the Eris and do not want go the Motorola route. Although they are claiming better battery life, Sense UI rocks. Hoping that 2.0 brings some battery optimizations with it.
    agreed 100%
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC DROID Eris
    Let me close this out ... I went to Verizon twice today regarding battery life. Once at noon and once when I got back from work.

At noon - their fix was to replace the unit. So I'm on my third Eris. I charged it fully and left off everything but mobile network so I can use it as a phone. Over the three hour period from when I disconnected it to when I went to my local store - I lost just shy of 45% of the battery. This was consistent with my previous devices and observations.

So I truck on over to my local VZW store to complain and they inform me that they have had numerous people complain (the NYC store indicated no issues) and that there data engineer has a fix.

Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Enable always-on mobile

Make sure is is not checked.

They've indicated this will solve the battery issue and should have no impact on core services.

We'll see.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I've seen this "tip" on several other forums and indeed does seem to save battery life. However, there are some huge drawbacks - such as mail does not get pushed any more, etc. I haven't personally tried this, but from the sounds of it there are serious usability consequences. The battery isn't that small - it sounds to me that they need to fix something in the software...
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

disabling always-on mobile data

I disabled this yesterday, and it does indeed seem to lengthen the battery life. But I noticed that Gmail is still getting pushed to my Eris. So it appears that Gmail functionality is not affected by disabling "always-on mobile data".
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    I have had my ERIS for 5 days and was getting 6-8 hours of life out of the battery following a full charge with mobile networking on, but much better (2-3x) with this turned off. It does, however, seem to defeat one of the key features of this device. I am going to give this a couple of more days before heading back to the VZW store to see about getting a replacement if things do not improve. I can actually live with recharging this every night, but I need to know that it will work from 6am to midnight for routine use without being tethered to a charger.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SAMSUNG GALEXY note 2

Thumbs down

Hmmm i got mine coming to me today..I really wish i did better looking around before i ordered it...Well i hope i dont get screwed...I coming from a BB storm...hmmmmm.....grrrrr....
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    So after reading several forums and getting a little frustrated with the lack of battery life, I did the following:

- Added widgets to control Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and Mobile Network and keep them off all of the time
    - I left the Location settings "Use wireless netwroks" and "Location Setting" checked.
    - Kept the stock messaging app.

WOW, what a difference! My phone has been all all day and I still almost a full charge. I turn on Mobile Networks when I want to check e-mail and surf some web sites and then turn it back off when I'm done. I expect to get at least 1/ 1/2, and hopefully, 2 days out of a charge.

Sure it's a little of an inconvenience but I guess it's the best that we can hope for.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by Androidatic View Post
    So after reading several forums and getting a little frustrated with the lack of battery life, I did the following:

- Added widgets to control Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and Mobile Network and keep them off all of the time
    - I left the Location settings "Use wireless netwroks" and "Location Setting" checked.
    - Kept the stock messaging app.

WOW, what a difference! My phone has been all all day and I still almost a full charge. I turn on Mobile Networks when I want to check e-mail and surf some web sites and then turn it back off when I'm done. I expect to get at least 1/ 1/2, and hopefully, 2 days out of a charge.

Sure it's a little of an inconvenience but I guess it's the best that we can hope for.
    That really helps. Until someone comes out with an extended life battery and (maybe) HTC does something in the software, this is a good fix. I am also using Advanced Task Killer to shut down apps...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links