DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Cant delete texts.. NEED HELP!!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Cant delete texts.. NEED HELP!!

So it's seems the more texts i have with a person the slower it will run when i click on their name under messages to compose a text.. I have 3500 with my girlfriend and it seriously take anywhere from 30-60 seconds once i click on her name to just load the old messages... I try and delete them all and my phone force closes and they do not delete... Anyone have an idea on whats going on? for one i believe i should be able to hold a heck of alot more texts and i dont believe i shouldtake this long... I really have almost no programsloaded on my phone and just install/uninstall when i want to use them..
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    Weird that it won't let you delete. You're long pressing the thread title and selecting Delete, right?
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    When you are in the first view of the messageing apparently, can you hit menu and choose delete threads?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymack17 View Post
    So it's seems the more texts i have with a person the slower it will run when i click on their name under messages to compose a text.. I have 3500 with my girlfriend and it seriously take anywhere from 30-60 seconds once i click on her name to just load the old messages... I try and delete them all and my phone force closes and they do not delete... Anyone have an idea on whats going on? for one i believe i should be able to hold a heck of alot more texts and i dont believe i shouldtake this long... I really have almost no programsloaded on my phone and just install/uninstall when i want to use them..
    The phone doesn't have enough memory to handle that many text messages. You need to periodically delete threads before they get too large. You may have to do a hard reset of your phone in order to delete them.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    There have been other people with this same issue. When you have that many messages in a given thread, the OS has a tendency to hang and FC because it's trying to delete such a mass of data. The only real fix I've seen is to set your message limit significantly lower. Mine is set at 200 per thread and they open lightning quick and deleting entire threads is easy too (I had it set at 500 when I first got the phone and never experienced any problems either... just decided there was no reason I needed it that high). Why would you ever need 3000+ messages from any contact? If there are really that many important things you need, try getting a backup program and saving messages to your SD card. That way you can still keep them, while also keeping your message limit set low to avoid your current problem. Try setting your message limit lower, and the next time you get a message from your gf, it should delete older ones and only keep whatever number you just set it to. If that doesn't work (most likely because there are still too many messages for it to delete automatically) you're probably going to have to manually delete messages until you get it down low enough that the OS can handle it.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Eris
    Does anyone know how to set a message limit on the Eris? I can't seem to find a way...

Links