DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting messages is a problem

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedbyhatred View Post
    i have the same problem i have a thread with 2000 messages and i am using handsent and cannot delete the thread at all, i try and i have to pop the battery to unfreeze it or usually handcent force closes
    Are you giving it time to delete the 2000 messages? like 5 minutes? or more? Its not freezing im guessing just doing its job but it takes time to delete that many messages..
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    yeah i had let it sit for about 15 mins

update : tryed deleting multiple small threads on handcent, about 4 threads with less then 50 in them, and i acutally get a not responding forceclose/wait warning
    Last edited by Forcedbyhatred; 02-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedbyhatred View Post
    yeah i had let it sit for about 15 mins
    Well it works for me without handsent. Maybe try it on the stock setup.. I just have hotmail and gmail.. All I can offer for help. sorry..
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    I don't have Handcent (or an Eris), so I can't speak to it specifically, but I would hazard a guess that the problem is the sheer volume of texts it's trying to delete. Taking a long time to delete so many texts (giving the impression of freezing) might be what's happening, or it may just be too big of a task for the OS to handle and it just freezes. Why would you ever need to store 2000 or 5000 texts per thread anyway? Try setting you limit at 200 or 500 and see if you still have the same problem.
    Last edited by ShowTime; 02-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowTime View Post
    I don't have Handcent (or an Eris), so I can't speak to it specifically, but I would hazard a guess that the problem is the sheer volume of texts it's trying to delete. Taking a long time to delete so many texts (giving the impression of freezing) might be what's happening, or it may just be too big of a task for the OS to handle and it just freezes. Why would you ever need to store 2000 or 5000 texts per thread anyway? Try setting you limit at 200 or 500 and see if you still have the same problem.
    Completely agreed. I had this issue on my t-mobile G1 and learned the hard way. The best way to delete those messaged is one at a time until you get down to maybe 200 or so...I'd have to say that it's a problem for the OS as well. That's quite a bit of data even though it's just text...
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowTime View Post
    Completely agreed. I had this issue on my t-mobile G1 and learned the hard way. The best way to delete those messaged is one at a time until you get down to maybe 200 or so...I'd have to say that it's a problem for the OS as well. That's quite a bit of data even though it's just text...
    Agreed..
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    I'm not even sure what I have my limits set to, because I only keep threads from certain people in my inbox at all, and I tend to delete those myself when they're around 100, just because of the issue I know existed on the G1.

If you want to keep 5,000 messages in one thread for specific people, I'd just suggest that you make sure to periodically delete threads from other people, and realize that you'll have some work to do if you ever decide that you don't want the 5,000 message threads anymore...

Of course, everything I've said in this thread is my own opinion/observation. Take what you will from it. Not trying to tell you how to manage your conversations!
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    Yeah I currently have 1362 emails in my inbox

I'm absolutely DREADING this task
    Thought this was about texts, but if you want to delete multiple e-mails, I suggest doing so on the computer and letting sync do its thing. 1000+ will still take a while, but I find it easier to do that kinda thing on the computer.

As well, if you want to delete all items in the trash folder/label, if you go to gmail.com on your computer, all you have to do is click on the trash folder and then click "empty trash." Boom! Done!
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Oh my bad! I wasn't even paying attention....I just assumed this thread was about email for some unknown reason...

>disregard<

But thanks for the help Jonny

10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    No worries! SOMEONE mentioned e-mails in this thread and the fact that the gmail app doesn't allow you to "select all" in the trash can.

As well, contacts are much easier to manage via gmail.com if you've got a lot to edit/delete/move to different groups.

Now, back on topic...Haha!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links