DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Eris worth the trouble???

  1. Droid
    estilo's Avatar
    Member #
    99364
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    incredible2
    #1

    Eris worth the trouble???

    I received an Eris I purchased on ebay today for $90. Works fine, no water damage.

    I went to my local verizon retailer today, and the salesmen strongly urged me to resell the phone because it is "nothing but trouble". Battery life, reception, freezes, slow, etc.

    He started recommending other phones, Droid X, Incredible, etc. I told him I wasn't interested in signing a contract, and I got a good deal on this phone, and that's why I got it. I really only need to talk,text - I just want a current style phone.

    Then I asked him about the $15 data plan and he said I will definitely go over it and be charged for doing so. Told me because of background processes, it is virtually impossible to stay under the 150mb limit. I told him at the current time I can't justify paying $30. He guaranteed I would go over it.

    I ended up not activating the phone. I want some true advice about how the Eris works and its reliability. Also, I want to know if it is possible to get by on the $15 data. I personally think he was just trying to get me to sign into a contract or upgrade to make commission.

    Any opinions appreciated. I really like the phone as well.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    Bob Dammit's Avatar
    Member #
    14607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N 42 05.183 W 079 10.914
    Posts
    1,718
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by estilo View Post
    I received an Eris I purchased on ebay today for $90. Works fine, no water damage.

    I went to my local verizon retailer today, and the salesmen strongly urged me to resell the phone because it is "nothing but trouble". Battery life, reception, freezes, slow, etc.

    He started recommending other phones, Droid X, Incredible, etc. I told him I wasn't interested in signing a contract, and I got a good deal on this phone, and that's why I got it. I really only need to talk,text - I just want a current style phone.

    Then I asked him about the $15 data plan and he said I will definitely go over it and be charged for doing so. Told me because of background processes, it is virtually impossible to stay under the 150mb limit. I told him at the current time I can't justify paying $30. He guaranteed I would go over it.

    I ended up not activating the phone. I want some true advice about how the Eris works and its reliability. Also, I want to know if it is possible to get by on the $15 data. I personally think he was just trying to get me to sign into a contract or upgrade to make commission.

    Any opinions appreciated. I really like the phone as well.
    It is a "low end" or "beginner" smart phone. It is nothing special, but it is a reliable phone, especially if you root it. Im not sure about the 150mb data plan, Ive never tried. Just to give you a comparison, 5 days into my billing cycle, and I have already used 109.619 MB. I am more of a "power user" on my Driod. My wife on the other hand isnt a power user, and she has only used 19.576 M on her Eris. People expect it to run like an X or an Inc, and it is nowhere near capable of coming close to either phones.
    I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  4. Droid
    estilo's Avatar
    Member #
    99364
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    incredible2
    #3
    Where can you check your data usage? I'm assuming that is non-wifi?

    I also turned the "Mobile network" box off. I also unchecked "Enable always-on mobile data".
  5. Super Moderator
    Bob Dammit's Avatar
    Member #
    14607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N 42 05.183 W 079 10.914
    Posts
    1,718
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by estilo View Post
    Where can you check your data usage? I'm assuming that is non-wifi?

    I also turned the "Mobile network" box off. I also unchecked "Enable always-on mobile data".
    Log into your Verizon account on line, from the homepage under "Bill", click "View Usage", and scroll down to Domestic Data Used.
    I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  6. Droid Ninja
    LoneWolfArcher's Avatar
    Member #
    20864
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,067
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #5
    I believe the Eris is "worth it". However I also agree with the Verizon dude. Let me explain.

    The Eris is a nice little device. For me one of the fun things with this phone has been making it perform the way I'd like it to. There is a thread here on tricks and tips (I think it should have been a sticky) to making the Eris a very good smartphone. Also, I paid $50 13 months ago for my Eris, and got one for my wife too for free. At the time getting into a smartphone was usually at least a $200 proposition. So from a cost standpoint the Eris was well worth it. Remember this phone came out at the same time as the original Droid. And that brick was too much for me to haul around. And I have no use for a physical keyboard.

    Now, why the Verizon dude was right. Since the Eris has come out there are so many more options. Droid, 2, X, Pro, HTC Incredible, not to mention Samsung and LG options. While I have enjoyed my year with my Eris, I am counting down the days until August when I can upgrade (probably to the forthcoming Droid Bionic). Also, 150MB for a smartphone is nothing. Anyone that thinks they can stay under that limit is fooling themselves. $30/month is 3 fewer trips to fast food a month. That is worth the unlimited data and the peace of mind that comes from knowing you can't get hammered for a heavy usage month.

    I would suggest activating the Eris, having a ball with it, and when you are ready you can upgrade to something newer. Also, at $90 you are already in the green? Why? Because Verizon has a buy back plan, and currently is giving $132 for the Eris! Click here: Verizon Trade In (Okay, the catch is that it is a Verizon gift card, but that is a healthy chunk towards getting one of the new smartphones.)
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  7. Droid
    Threeball's Avatar
    Member #
    122199
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    74
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    #6
    I completely agree with everything BD and Lonewolfarcher said. I'm gonna just add a couple things.

    First, opinion on the Eris is based on expectations. A verizon sales rep sees all the powerful devices all day and sees the Eris like a Jaguar dealer would see a Yugo. For me though, I used Palm Treos without data for years so I'm still really happy with my Eris.

    Also, there's a "my verizon" app that allows you to easily monitor usage. There's even a widget that displays data usage. I don't think it'll be a problem to stay under 150mb as long as you stay off the browser.

    And therein lies your decision. If you are gonna stay off the browser, your limiting yourself to having a phone that you can also use like a pda. Which is great, but don't fool yourself, it's not gonna be much fun. No video, no pandora, etc. You'll be able to use the calendar, have to do lists, check email, play your own music, and use the market as long as your careful (so you can play games), but that's about it.

    If all that is within your expectations, then go for it.
    running Nonsensikal 16.1
  8. Junior Droid
    xero925's Avatar
    Member #
    151997
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by estilo View Post
    I received an Eris I purchased on ebay today for $90. Works fine, no water damage.

    I went to my local verizon retailer today, and the salesmen strongly urged me to resell the phone because it is "nothing but trouble". Battery life, reception, freezes, slow, etc.

    He started recommending other phones, Droid X, Incredible, etc. I told him I wasn't interested in signing a contract, and I got a good deal on this phone, and that's why I got it. I really only need to talk,text - I just want a current style phone.

    Then I asked him about the $15 data plan and he said I will definitely go over it and be charged for doing so. Told me because of background processes, it is virtually impossible to stay under the 150mb limit. I told him at the current time I can't justify paying $30. He guaranteed I would go over it.

    I ended up not activating the phone. I want some true advice about how the Eris works and its reliability. Also, I want to know if it is possible to get by on the $15 data. I personally think he was just trying to get me to sign into a contract or upgrade to make commission.

    Any opinions appreciated. I really like the phone as well.
    these guys are telling the truth. It is a very reliable entry level smartphone (before rooted). You can make it even better though, I rooted mine successfully and now considering installing android 2.2 on it!



    Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App
    Blackberry Curve 8520 (August 1, 2009- January 10, 2010)
    Status- Retired.
    HTC Droid Eris
    (January 10, 2010- August 21, 2011)
    Upgrades-(rooted to firmware 2.3.4 on January 2011)
    (rooted to firmware 2.3.5 on August 8, 2011)
    Status- Retired. (Sold to another user)
    Apple iPhone 4 (March 20, 2011- July 16, 2011)
    Status- Destroyed.
    Motorola Droid 2 Global (August 12, 2011)
    Status- In Service
  9. Droid
    RCFlyn's Avatar
    Member #
    73959
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    59
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    #8
    Honestly, I HATE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But, Yes, it IS a Good phone. For the Most part, it's just SLOW...
    Sometimes it'll pop up a program Instantly, the next time, It sits there thinking wether it wants to do it or not, then decides OK, and pops it up for me.
    But man, when it's slow, It's friggin SLOW... I compared Alchemy on my Eris to my Sisters D2G.. HOLY SMOKES... I compared Opening Forwarded E-Mails, That D2G just blows the Eris away. I know, I know, Newer technology, Better processor, what not. The Eris is just an Entry level. But I HATE It.. And I've gotta deal with it till October 11...

    Oh Ya, Battery Life isn't TOO Bad, it just depends on HOW you use it. And Reception, it's as good as any Cell I've ever used...
    But I do get the "Force Close" Dialog box quite often....
    Last edited by RCFlyn; 01-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.
  10. Droid
    estilo's Avatar
    Member #
    99364
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Phone
    incredible2
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher View Post
    I believe the Eris is "worth it". However I also agree with the Verizon dude. Let me explain.

    The Eris is a nice little device. For me one of the fun things with this phone has been making it perform the way I'd like it to. There is a thread here on tricks and tips (I think it should have been a sticky) to making the Eris a very good smartphone. Also, I paid $50 13 months ago for my Eris, and got one for my wife too for free. At the time getting into a smartphone was usually at least a $200 proposition. So from a cost standpoint the Eris was well worth it. Remember this phone came out at the same time as the original Droid. And that brick was too much for me to haul around. And I have no use for a physical keyboard.

    Now, why the Verizon dude was right. Since the Eris has come out there are so many more options. Droid, 2, X, Pro, HTC Incredible, not to mention Samsung and LG options. While I have enjoyed my year with my Eris, I am counting down the days until August when I can upgrade (probably to the forthcoming Droid Bionic). Also, 150MB for a smartphone is nothing. Anyone that thinks they can stay under that limit is fooling themselves. $30/month is 3 fewer trips to fast food a month. That is worth the unlimited data and the peace of mind that comes from knowing you can't get hammered for a heavy usage month.

    I would suggest activating the Eris, having a ball with it, and when you are ready you can upgrade to something newer. Also, at $90 you are already in the green? Why? Because Verizon has a buy back plan, and currently is giving $132 for the Eris! Click here: Verizon Trade In (Okay, the catch is that it is a Verizon gift card, but that is a healthy chunk towards getting one of the new smartphones.)
    I like the Eris because it's small. The other's are too big. The Eris has a curved design which easily fits into your pocket. That was my main reason besides price.

    I've turned off "Background Data" and "Mobile Data" in the settings. I hope this helps. My other concern is using facebook on my home wifi, stepping outside the house, but just because I have facebook still logged in, that the phone when it switches over to Verizon's data service (not sure what it's called) that I'll start using up megabytes and this could make me go over very easily.

    Unless by turning "Mobile Data" off that has been stopped. I really wish they made them wifi only, or at least gave you that option. I may need to resell this phone, it's starting to seem like I'm gonna have to worry everyday about going over data, and $30 extra per month just doesn't seem worth it for the minimal non usage outside of wifi.

    I'd feel like I'm giving verizon free money.
  11. Droid
    Threeball's Avatar
    Member #
    122199
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    74
    Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    #10
    Don’t give up so fast!

    Get the my Verizon app and put the widget where u can watch it easily.

    Ur settings for mobile data should work. If ur worried, go into each app's settings (facebook, twitter, email, etc) and find the refresh intervals. U can set them to never, then manually refresh when u have ur wifi on.

    Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App
    running Nonsensikal 16.1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. V 6.2... Is It Worth It Yet?
    By TangoSucka in forum Bugless
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
  2. is it worth to buy ?
    By diny01 in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 06:34 AM
  3. would this be worth trying?
    By Weapondrift in forum HTC Droid Incredible
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 02:09 AM
  4. Eris Trouble
    By Newps in forum Rescue Squad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
  5. want to know if its worth it.
    By evilsock in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 11:08 PM

Search tags for this page

droid eris worth buying

,
eris trouble for
,

how to check data usage on a droid eris

,

how to check data usage on a htc eries

,

htc eris slow

,
htc eris w/o data plan
,

is the droid eris worth getting

,
see if htc eris has water damage
,

what is a droid eris worth

,

what is a droid eris worth?

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+