DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: My quick opinions for the Droid DNA

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

My quick opinions for the Droid DNA

Previous phones: OG Droid, Droid Bionic

The good, in order of importance:

Sound. I have never heard beats audio before, it is very very good even with over the air streams. Excellent.
    Screen. Good colors and resolution, miles ahead than the qHD of the Bionic. I kind of expected that.
    Development possible. This will depend on what phone you previously used, coming from the Bionic I look forward to the ROMs. I'm looking forward to making the most out of this.
    Wide angle front-facing camera. Important for Skyping.
    Hardware feel and specifications. iPhone 5 aside this is the best looking and feeling phone in my opinion.

The not so good, but expected:

Internal storage. Uhm I'm guessing that HTC didn't want to cannibalize the M7, or was pushed by VZW so that data consumption increases. Most people would have paid the extra $50 for an extra 16GB in my opinion.

Battery life. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the heaviest use, anything higher than 3 or four requires in day charging. Most of the days I'm a 7 or an 8 and I have chargers everywhere. On the bionic the 3300 mAh was not enough for most days. This skin looks less power hungry and seriously, I'd rather charge my phone midday rather than carry a brick as was the bionic.

Edit: After installing Hatka supercharged ROM, cubed kernel and halving the minimum clock frequency and using teh smartassV2
    governor battery life is significantly increased. It may be possible to go through the day without charging, even for moderate to
    heavy use.

The not so good and unexpected:

Coming from gingerbread I expected a far more streamlined OS experience. And no it's not Sense 4 it's JB. Seriously can someone the developers who hack these phones and get some ideas?

HTCDev is really not very responsive, but I hope this is an intermittent issue. I've been waiting for an email for hours.

Conclusion:

Assuming that the HTCDev site works and I get the OS as I want it to, I'm looking forward to using the DNA and the unlimited data for a while, after all I paid $580 for the unused phone and some accessories (swappa.com). I'm particularly pleased with the sound, the dedicated amplifier makes a big difference even when I plug the phone to my car's AUX port. The Skype experience is improved because the phone is much faster and the cameras are wide angle and bright. This feeling is condition on HTCDev getting its act together and overcoming the technical difficulties that make unlocking this bootloader so frustrating.
    Last edited by yiannis; 01-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Links