DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me to pay $640 for a DNA :)

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Convince me to pay $640 for a DNA :)

Short story is that I dropped and cracked my Bionic today. I never really liked the phone and its terrible handling by Motorola. I have unlimited data and intend to keep it, which is why I would pay full price.

Apparently the DNA is getting dinged on two fronts. The internal storage (which does not concern me) and battery life, which concerns me a whole lot. To give you an idea of how it concerns me I will tell you that I have two extended batteries (well I believed the first one was dying, but it only needed recalibration in the end). The 3300 mAh is usually sufficient, but I'm positive I drain it so much because the Bionic constantly searches for LTE. And I'm in downtown Baltimore where the thing started. When I'm on wi-fi and I'm not skyping I only use 50% of the battery. But I'm not sure I need the extended batteries, as I have 3 chargers (two oem MOTO ones) plus one in the car. So I can get wired everywhere I go.

My problem is this. Last time I convinced myself to rush and get the best phone available it didn't turn out to be a very good experience. The Galaxy Nexus came two months later and made the Bionic look silly. I don't want that to happen to me. But the DNA has an unlocked bootloader so I'm not too worried.

So here are my options:

Droid DNA (better screen)
    MAXX HD (better battery)
    Note II (too big)
    SGSIII (not worth the price when it will be replaced soon)
    Galaxy Nexus ($250 new on ebay, but fearing I will get a refurbished unit)

Any ideas? What are your experiences with build quality on HTC phones? Thanks a lot
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    I would vote for RAZR MAXX HD. Superior storage and battery. Screen and camera suck but...

I don't like HTC's Sense interface. It's just too ugly for me.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX

Re: Convince me to pay $640 for a DNA :)

I had the razr maxx hd for a few months, then sold it for an iPhone 5. I thought i could convince myself to like the iphone, that lasted for 2 hours, i resold it the day i bought it.

I'm the type of guy that changes phones every couple months, buying and selling via craigslist. I get bored very easily once I've exhausted the features, roms, etc.

I bought a note 2 and absolutely love it. Is it big, absolutely. It's such a beautiful device with tons of potential. I'm on day 3 with it now and still have some time if i want to take it back, but this phone satisfies everything i want. Incredible camera, insane battery life, fast, snappy, You name it. The s pen features blow my mind. I've gotten used to the size already and really don't notice it until i hold it next to my gf's iphone 4s. (Fwiw, i have average sized hands)

The DNA is a nice device, but I'm not a sense fan, the lack of removable memory sucks, and I've read that the battery is so-so.

This is, of course, just my $.02, but when you're paying that much for a phone (i bought the note 2 for retail, so i know) please just do your research! I read lots and lots about the DNA and the note 2 before i bought it and it made the choice pretty simple.

Good luck! Be sure you let us know what you end up with.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    IMO...the only two phones you should choose from are the Note 2 and the DNA. Both are far enough ahead of the curve that you shouldn't have buyers remorse when the next big thing comes out. I have the DNA and love everything about it. Prior to getting it, I used the Nexus for almost a year. Everything about it is a huge upgrade from the nexus.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    I actually just switched to the SGSIII coming from a RAZR HD.

Here's why: The lack of accessories and community development for Motorola devices was starting to bug me.

Why the SIII: A lot of accessories, and a lot of development, and more colors to choose from, I chose the black, which is sexy as hell on the SIII.

I have no signal issues, even in the areas in have somewhat weak 4G. The camera is superior to the RAZR, and I mean light years ahead.

So I would narrow it down to the SIII and the DNA.

I would go SIII because: seems to be more community development at the moment, its Samsung, more popular than HTC, which comes with a lot of perks in the Market such as more accessories for one, and more attention after the products seems to reach "end of life." Its still a great phone regardless when it came out.

The rumored HTC M7 will release along side the SIV I imagine, or sometime close, therefore, both the SIII and DNA will be "obsolete."

Also, the quad core is nothing more than bragging rights. There is absolutely nothing out there that is going to ping that processor to it fullest and actually be beneficial as opposed to a fully pinged dual core (The S4 in the SIII in this case). More cores is not always better.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid DNA
    I'm in a very similar situation. I currently have the Bionic and plan to get the DNA soon. I too have to buy it outright because I need to keep my unlimited. Initially the battery was concerning me from all the reviews I had read, but there seem to be just as many out there that say battery life is not bad.

The Bionic sucked in terms of battery life and I've had to run that with the extended battery since practically day one, which defeated the point of it being a relatively thin phone..at the time anyway.

I've read enough about how to tweak the settings if need be on the DNA to get more life out of it, but I also plan to have a couple chargers on hand plus the wireless charger too so I'm hoping I won't regret it.

I'm to the point where it doesn't much matter anymore since the next best thing is always a few months away. I'm thinking once I buy the DNA that it should be one of the best phones for at least the next 6 months at which time I'll probably sell it and get something else. If I end up keeping it longer then that's fine too. I've loved playing around with it anytime I'm near a Verizon store and it seems to be a prefect fit for me. I'm too impatient to wait two years in between phones anyway

I've been keeping an eye on the CES reports and I'm not seeing anything yet that is a big enough game changer for me to wait. Also who really needs a 13MP camera?? Good God. Not for me anyway. Plus the phones that have been shown so far might never see the light of day in the US.

I realize that most phones coming out this year will have the same screen as the DNA, but the DNA seems like it would make an awesome phone. Let us know if you end up getting it.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on the CES reports and I'm not seeing anything yet that is a big enough game changer for me to wait. Also who really needs a 13MP camera?? Good God. Not for me anyway. Plus the phones that have been shown so far might never see the light of day in the US.
    then you have to add another 6 months after it's release in the U.S. till Verizon gets it

Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Here's why: The lack of accessories and community development for Motorola devices was starting to bug me.

The camera is superior to the RAZR, and I mean light years ahead.
    THIS. I cannot emphasize this enough.
    Last edited by adrenalinemotion; 01-08-2013 at 05:58 PM.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    I'm to the point where it doesn't much matter anymore since the next best thing is always a few months away.
    You're right, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you end up with nothing. No matter what you buy, it will be obsolete in a few months anyway. Settle on something you like and be happy with it. I think the Note 2 has finally done that for me (for now lol)
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Agreed, he who waits for next best thing, has nothing at all. The S3 is a great phone, I am enjoying it and I can already tell I'm going to like it more than my HD.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid DNA
    I'm definitely done with Motorola for a while. Time to try some others. I've had the Original Droid and the Bionic so it's time for something new.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links