[WIP][KERNEL][KEXEC] Droid 3 NEW ICS/JB Project [07-29 Alpha #2::HD Codecs]
*** I have had no part in this, this is posted to keep the droidforums community informed, for more information, please visit the links***
WARNING: This work is considered ALPHA and could possibly be dangerous to your device. Use / Test at your own risk.
As some of you know Jonpry got the ball rolling by porting to the Droid 3; the kexec work done by [mbm] and Kholk on the RAZR.
Using this technology we can update the kernel and continue the life cycle of what is effectively a dead phone to Motorola.
Since then we've been working towards a new unified kernel which enables a full features ICS/JB experience for the Droid 3.
HOW IS THE CURRENT KEXEC DEVELOPMENT GOING?
- Jonpry started off by fixing CPU 2 during kexec, then he went on to fix clocks and usb/uart switching for debugging and a variety of other fixes
- I then went on a tear adding / updating drivers and features to the kernel like 512MB support and updating the ducati handling routines, as well as merging up to 3.0.31 (almost all of which is based on source provided by Texas Instruments via omapzoom.org)
- Jonpry then goes back over everything I broke and fixes stuff. :)
- [mbm] provides guidance in various forms
The kernel project is here in branch "3.0.31" (for now):
WHAT IS THIS?
This is a NEW kexec kernel (4AI.1.6/3.0.31) loaded in an updated CM9 build which takes advantage of several features:
- Full support for 512MB devices like the Droid 3 (as well as 1GB devices like the RAZR)
- Updated PVR binaries for ICS/JB compatibility: 1.8@945322
- Uses a 512MB compatible codec binary (straight from TI) for YouTube HD and Netflix support
- Updated wifi modules R5.00.21
- Main line linux kernel updates through 3.0.31
- Display and hardware accelerated graphics
- HD codecs (from basic testing)
- Auxilliary sound channels like phone earpiece and speaker phone
- Phone modem is showing as active
- adb debugging / usb
- external SD card mount (internal isn't mounting correctly yet)
WHAT DOESN'T WORK?
- Main multimedia audio is not working
- Bluetooth probably has issues since the latest merge of kernel sources
- Battery seems to have some issues
- LED/Light operation will need to be looked at
- and in general many Alpha style bugs
WHAT DO I NEED TO FLASH THIS?
- This ROM will only work using Safestrap 2.0 for the Droid 3. It includes support for loading kexec ROMs.
You can download it here:
Read more about what Safestrap is and how to use it: How-To Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes
And on to the goods..
ALPHA #2 [2012-07-29] Kernel + CM9 ROM
- [mbm] and Kholk for getting a working kexec model on the RAZR
- Jonpry for porting that kexec to the Droid 3 + and a ton of kernel work and general build debugging
- CM9 team for hard work that never gets mentioned
Original Thread: xda-developers