DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with contacts!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I do not.

However, if I instead hit menu,and then accounts, there is an "auto sync app data" option which is checked, however which I do not believe does anything related to this.

This is even according to Android unrelated to any synch, etc. It is apparently a miguided and poorly executed (in my opinion) way to join two contacts, likely if there were two contacts with multiple numbers, etc, that are really the same contact. Other PIMs have for years had different and less problem prone methods to do this. The bigger issue here is that the prescribed method to "separate" seems to be totally non-functional. Perhaps an Android bug?
  2. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    What happens if you select or long press down the joined contacts? Does it give you an option to remove one?
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    No it does not.

Again, the only thing I can do with the "joined" contacts (which are the inaccurately and inappropriately combined two contacts which have nothing whatsoever in any form to do with each other) is select the menu button. Then if I select the "separate" button, it brings up the two former different contacts. Each of them has a red minus sign to the right. However, if I press that red minus sign next to one of the two former "separate" contacts, it asks me if I want to separate them. Options are Cancel or OK. If I select "OK', it says in the bottom, "Contacts Separated". However, they are in fact not separated.

It sure seems like a quality issue where there as a bug in the OS. It simply does not work. There are IMHO several quality issues with this incident. First is that the feature/function in the UI is not well designed so it's easy to accidentally "join" contacts. The second is that it appears as though the "unjoin" function simply does not work - or it does so in a fashion that is currently impossible to utilize.

I have to admit, this phone is starting to really frustrate me. Been a REALLY long term "smart phone" user and this has been the absolutely most difficult and frustrating phone to try and get accustomed to. Lots of flexibility and features, but short so far on quality and intuitive UI. Maybe I'm missing something.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Ok, not trying to be rude, before you bash the phone or OS you need to try again. I just joined two different contacts in my phonebook and separated them with no issues. They aren't linked to any social app either. They are regular Google contacts. So... you're not doing something right here.

Sent from my Synergized SCH-I535
    Hell on Heels
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Not to be rude, but I've been excrutiatingly clear about the steps I've taken. I've repeated this at least 50 times now (attempts, not posts obviously). I understand what it "should" do but it is clearly not doing it.

If it worked for you, I would appreciate the exact steps you used that are different than what I posted in clear detail. I'm not bashing the phone. This is a real issue, I've been attempting for days to try and resolve it, have gone through all steps, etc. The Android help section is clearly out of date (fact - not opinion). I have said the phone is very powerful, however these core functions have been extremely problematic on this phone. I've been using smart phones since their original inception more than a decade ago. I would LOVE to find that I'm doing something wrong and could get through this issue!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    This might be unique to Samsung's Touch Wiz. I can't replicate it with my Gnex.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Looks like no resolution here. May have to blow away all contacts on the phone and manage them differently. Is there a place to kind of "escalate" android issues? I'm starting to get more concerned about this phone. Can't afford to have contacts be unreliable, which at the moment on my phone they clearly are.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links