I've been searching for an answer to this question after experiencing the "Authentication Error" while trying to connect and maintain a connection to my Dual Channel Router. Seems our phones (VZW ONLY) can't handle the 5.0 GHz band very well or dual channel routers. So it was suggested, for another phone, that one should narrow the selection of channels or the band (2.4 GHz vs. 5.0 GHz) in order for the phone to spend less time exchanging with the router.
This method worked for me:
1. In the router administrator menu, look for channel selection of either the 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz. It is probably set to "Auto" but you want to change this to the best channel. How?
2. Use your phone. Download Wifi Analyzer from Google Play, it is free.
3. When running the app find your router and look at the option to see channel rating. This will tell you which channel is best for your area and which is the strongest. Start furthest away from your router in the house/apartment/shanty. You can do this for both 2.4 and 5.0 bands. In my case I chose to only change the 2.4 GHz band to the specific channel I got from Wifi Analyzer. Changing the 5.0 GHz may not matter since our phones have trouble with 5.0 GHz band. But you can at least make it easier for your devices to connect by changing the major band.
4. Save the selection and reboot the router.
5. Go into your wireless settings --> Manage networks and delete your network.
6. Go through your normal process to connect to your router for the first time, either entering your password, or using my preferred method via WPS.
If this doesn't work for you keep trying to find the best channel on one or both bands with Wifi Analyzer and try again.
Since discovering this fix I've had better reception as well as reliable service without one interruption yet.