DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Horrible battery drain with JB update....

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    At first I thought FDR helped mine, but not the case. Yes, I have battery saver on. But I shouldn't have to start turning off Maps, Google Now, and such that rely on location. I like location on for weather, etc.....Obviously a battery draining bug in JB...With the exact same settings, ICS lasted a day and a half easily....If I can get 8 hours now with JB, I'm lucky!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by MyEntityRemains View Post
    At first I thought FDR helped mine, but not the case. Yes, I have battery saver on. But I shouldn't have to start turning off Maps, Google Now, and such that rely on location. I like location on for weather, etc.....Obviously a battery draining bug in JB...With the exact same settings, ICS lasted a day and a half easily....If I can get 8 hours now with JB, I'm lucky!
    I agree, but unfortunately it just might be the case until google rectifies this. The good news is that my battery life is now better than ever.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Quote Originally Posted by MyEntityRemains View Post
    I also noticed significantly increased battery drain after the update. I switched my Network from Global to CDMA/LTE thinking maybe it was wasting energy scanning both radios, but I think the real killer was a couple of other settings that the update (re)enabled that I had turned off; the SmartStay option in the Display settings, and the option in S-Voice settings where it continuously monitors the microphone, waiting for you to say the 'magic wake-up command', that one even says it will drain your battery! With all that stuff on, my battery usage list would show "Screen" as the top item, and that was with the phone sitting untouched in sleep mode for several hours after taking it off the charger! I also found a couple of the "location update" related settings turned on that I was pretty sure I had disabled. I'm not sure which of those made the most difference (I suspect it was the S-Voice thing), but after putting all that back the way I had it before the JB update, my battery usage is back to normal.

If you haven't already checked those, give it a try.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I just tried your suggestions. Will now wait for results.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    I reset today and everything is exactly back to how it was. I used to always use SmartStay on ICS with no problem, but I'll try turning it off too. The S-Voice setting makes a lot of sense though.

Only thing is Android System is generally the biggest battery killer for me. So I think it has something to do with either WiFi or GPS. Guess we'll find out...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    I reset today and everything is exactly back to how it was. I used to always use SmartStay on ICS with no problem, but I'll try turning it off too. The S-Voice setting makes a lot of sense though.

Only thing is Android System is generally the biggest battery killer for me. So I think it has something to do with either WiFi or GPS. Guess we'll find out...
    GPS is a known battery killer, I keep mine off unless I actually need it (eg. using Navigation), then turn it back off. If I leave GPS on, "Maps" jumps up into the top 3 battery burners list even though I'm not actively using any Map-related apps.

I can't say I've explicitly isolated SmartStay as a heavy battery user, but given what it does (continually monitor the camera and run a pattern recognition algorithm to figure out if you're looking at the phone) it just seems like it would have to burn a fair amount of juice.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    I know, I know. But the point is to replicate my ICS settings 100%. In fact, I've stopped using WidgetLocker for the time being to see if that makes a difference. On that note, when I don't use it, it seems to be worse.

Only GPS I had checked was Google and everything worked perfectly. Plus I'm 97% sure Android System is seperate from Maps. Also, this drain is worse when setting up widgets than when I used to actually use navigation, which left the screen on. Thus, I really doubt it IS GPS. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow factoring in. Last time I had this exact issue, turning WiFi off when asleep was the only thing that fixed it.

Too soon to decide though, we'll see. And I don't necessarily need all these new features, but I do need good battery life. So if this still doesn't fix it, I'm probably flashing back to ICS for awhile. I miss not having to worry about battery at all...

After a full day of use tomorrow trying to imitate just a normal day on ICS, I'll take a GSam screenshot to compare the two for me.
    Last edited by k1ngr4t; 12-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I know, I know. But the point is to replicate my ICS settings 100%. In fact, I've stopped using WidgetLocker for the time being to see if that makes a difference. On that note, when I don't use it, it seems to be worse.

Only GPS I had checked was Google and everything worked perfectly. Plus I'm 97% sure Android System is seperate from Maps. Also, this drain is worse when setting up widgets than when I used to actually use navigation, which left the screen on. Thus, I really doubt it IS GPS. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow factoring in. Last time I had this exact issue, turning WiFi off when asleep was the only thing that fixed it.

Too soon to decide though, we'll see. And I don't necessarily need all these new features, but I do need good battery life. So if this still doesn't fix it, I'm probably flashing back to ICS for awhile. I miss not having to worry about battery at all...

After a full day of use tomorrow trying to imitate just a normal day on ICS, I'll take a GSam screenshot to compare the two for me.

I agree with everything you said! If I can't get this battery usage reasonable, I'll go back to ICS or a different phone. The features are not worth the battery drain to me!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    I was only referring to the Standalone GPS (the one that also has a toggle in the status pulldown). I keep that one off unless I'm using it, but I leave the Google and VZW Location Services on for weather and such. I figure the only time I need the precision of the GPS is for nagivation.
  10. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    I am really trying to figure out why so many people are having battery life probs, when this is prob the longest lasting phone in terms of battery life I ever owned..
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links