DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 85
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Horrible battery drain with JB update....

  1. Master Droid
    MyEntityRemains's Avatar
    Member #
    237614
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    #41
    At first I thought FDR helped mine, but not the case. Yes, I have battery saver on. But I shouldn't have to start turning off Maps, Google Now, and such that rely on location. I like location on for weather, etc.....Obviously a battery draining bug in JB...With the exact same settings, ICS lasted a day and a half easily....If I can get 8 hours now with JB, I'm lucky!
  2. Droid
    BrendonSF's Avatar
    Member #
    97901
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    68
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    #42
    Quote Originally Posted by MyEntityRemains View Post
    At first I thought FDR helped mine, but not the case. Yes, I have battery saver on. But I shouldn't have to start turning off Maps, Google Now, and such that rely on location. I like location on for weather, etc.....Obviously a battery draining bug in JB...With the exact same settings, ICS lasted a day and a half easily....If I can get 8 hours now with JB, I'm lucky!
    I agree, but unfortunately it just might be the case until google rectifies this. The good news is that my battery life is now better than ever.
  3. Droid
    MattE303's Avatar
    Member #
    280559
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    44
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MyEntityRemains View Post
    At first I thought FDR helped mine, but not the case. Yes, I have battery saver on. But I shouldn't have to start turning off Maps, Google Now, and such that rely on location. I like location on for weather, etc.....Obviously a battery draining bug in JB...With the exact same settings, ICS lasted a day and a half easily....If I can get 8 hours now with JB, I'm lucky!
    I also noticed significantly increased battery drain after the update. I switched my Network from Global to CDMA/LTE thinking maybe it was wasting energy scanning both radios, but I think the real killer was a couple of other settings that the update (re)enabled that I had turned off; the SmartStay option in the Display settings, and the option in S-Voice settings where it continuously monitors the microphone, waiting for you to say the 'magic wake-up command', that one even says it will drain your battery! With all that stuff on, my battery usage list would show "Screen" as the top item, and that was with the phone sitting untouched in sleep mode for several hours after taking it off the charger! I also found a couple of the "location update" related settings turned on that I was pretty sure I had disabled. I'm not sure which of those made the most difference (I suspect it was the S-Voice thing), but after putting all that back the way I had it before the JB update, my battery usage is back to normal.

    If you haven't already checked those, give it a try.
  4. Master Droid
    MyEntityRemains's Avatar
    Member #
    237614
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    #44
    I just tried your suggestions. Will now wait for results.
  5. Droid Ninja
    k1ngr4t's Avatar
    Member #
    200555
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    #45
    I reset today and everything is exactly back to how it was. I used to always use SmartStay on ICS with no problem, but I'll try turning it off too. The S-Voice setting makes a lot of sense though.

    Only thing is Android System is generally the biggest battery killer for me. So I think it has something to do with either WiFi or GPS. Guess we'll find out...
  6. Droid
    MattE303's Avatar
    Member #
    280559
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    44
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    I reset today and everything is exactly back to how it was. I used to always use SmartStay on ICS with no problem, but I'll try turning it off too. The S-Voice setting makes a lot of sense though.

    Only thing is Android System is generally the biggest battery killer for me. So I think it has something to do with either WiFi or GPS. Guess we'll find out...
    GPS is a known battery killer, I keep mine off unless I actually need it (eg. using Navigation), then turn it back off. If I leave GPS on, "Maps" jumps up into the top 3 battery burners list even though I'm not actively using any Map-related apps.

    I can't say I've explicitly isolated SmartStay as a heavy battery user, but given what it does (continually monitor the camera and run a pattern recognition algorithm to figure out if you're looking at the phone) it just seems like it would have to burn a fair amount of juice.
  7. Droid Ninja
    k1ngr4t's Avatar
    Member #
    200555
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    #47
    I know, I know. But the point is to replicate my ICS settings 100%. In fact, I've stopped using WidgetLocker for the time being to see if that makes a difference. On that note, when I don't use it, it seems to be worse.

    Only GPS I had checked was Google and everything worked perfectly. Plus I'm 97% sure Android System is seperate from Maps. Also, this drain is worse when setting up widgets than when I used to actually use navigation, which left the screen on. Thus, I really doubt it IS GPS. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow factoring in. Last time I had this exact issue, turning WiFi off when asleep was the only thing that fixed it.

    Too soon to decide though, we'll see. And I don't necessarily need all these new features, but I do need good battery life. So if this still doesn't fix it, I'm probably flashing back to ICS for awhile. I miss not having to worry about battery at all...



    After a full day of use tomorrow trying to imitate just a normal day on ICS, I'll take a GSam screenshot to compare the two for me.
    Last edited by k1ngr4t; 12-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    MyEntityRemains's Avatar
    Member #
    237614
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    279
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    #48
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    I know, I know. But the point is to replicate my ICS settings 100%. In fact, I've stopped using WidgetLocker for the time being to see if that makes a difference. On that note, when I don't use it, it seems to be worse.

    Only GPS I had checked was Google and everything worked perfectly. Plus I'm 97% sure Android System is seperate from Maps. Also, this drain is worse when setting up widgets than when I used to actually use navigation, which left the screen on. Thus, I really doubt it IS GPS. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow factoring in. Last time I had this exact issue, turning WiFi off when asleep was the only thing that fixed it.

    Too soon to decide though, we'll see. And I don't necessarily need all these new features, but I do need good battery life. So if this still doesn't fix it, I'm probably flashing back to ICS for awhile. I miss not having to worry about battery at all...



    After a full day of use tomorrow trying to imitate just a normal day on ICS, I'll take a GSam screenshot to compare the two for me.

    I agree with everything you said! If I can't get this battery usage reasonable, I'll go back to ICS or a different phone. The features are not worth the battery drain to me!
  9. Droid
    MattE303's Avatar
    Member #
    280559
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    44
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    Only GPS I had checked was Google and everything worked perfectly. Plus I'm 97% sure Android System is seperate from Maps. Also, this drain is worse when setting up widgets than when I used to actually use navigation, which left the screen on. Thus, I really doubt it IS GPS. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow factoring in. Last time I had this exact issue, turning WiFi off when asleep was the only thing that fixed it.
    I was only referring to the Standalone GPS (the one that also has a toggle in the status pulldown). I keep that one off unless I'm using it, but I leave the Google and VZW Location Services on for weather and such. I figure the only time I need the precision of the GPS is for nagivation.
  10. Super Mod/News Team
    Shadez's Avatar
    Member #
    32075
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lafayette Hill, Pa
    Posts
    8,223
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    #50
    I am really trying to figure out why so many people are having battery life probs, when this is prob the longest lasting phone in terms of battery life I ever owned..
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. After OS Update .. SERIOUS battery drain
    By dabsr in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM
  2. Battery Drain after ICS update...
    By thepeskydingo in forum Smartphone Battery Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
  4. Android OS Battery Drain after 5.9.901 update
    By Bionic_Pags in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
  5. Baseband update = battery drain on 2.1?
    By kameltron7 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 11:22 PM

Search tags for this page

android system battery drain galaxy s3

,

galaxy note jelly bean battery drain

,
galaxy s3 android os battery drain
,

galaxy s3 android system battery drain

,
galaxy s3 jelly bean battery drain
,

galaxy s3 screen battery drain

,
galaxy s3 screen draining battery
,

google now battery drain galaxy s3

,
samsung galaxy s3 android os battery drain
,
samsung galaxy s3 screen battery drain
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+