DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Few questions about the SIII

  1. Droid
    Chubbydog's Avatar
    Member #
    180074
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    56
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #1

    Few questions about the SIII

    I'm thinking about giving my Nexus to my son, and getting this phone. I like the idea of the SD card slot, but I have a few questions.

    -Can I transfer my pix, and videos from this phone over to the SIII?

    -Does it come preloaded with swype, or is it something you can download witht the 4.8" screen?

    -How is the GPS signal for the most part? I've had really good luck with the Nexus on that so far.

    -Can I keep my unlimited data if I switch that phone to my line, and give my nexus phone to him on his line? I don't mind paying the $30 for 2gig of data for him. I just don't want to loose my unlimited right now.

    Thanks
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Junior Droid
    IrishSmash's Avatar
    Member #
    227027
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    28
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    ATHelpdesk
    Phone
    Galaxy S III
    #2
    Yes- just hook both up to your computer and transfer files over.

    Swype is preloaded (T9 Trace).

    I have not had any issues with the GPS signal so far. I'm taking a road trip this weekend, so I can give you an accurate test after this weekend.

    Whichever line you upgrade will be put to 2GB (it will be associated to the line, not the phone).
    Last edited by IrishSmash; 09-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    AT Helpdesk™


    Samsung Galaxy S III: Stock
    Motorola Razr Maxx: Stock

    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Stock
    Motorola Bionic: Rooted

    HTC Sensation 4G: Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G: Rooted
    iPhone 4: Jailbroke
    iPhone 3gS: Jailbroke

    And more...
  4. Droid Ninja
    cybertec69's Avatar
    Member #
    60551
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    1,687
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbydog
    I'm thinking about giving my Nexus to my son, and getting this phone. I like the idea of the SD card slot, but I have a few questions.

    -Can I transfer my pix, and videos from this phone over to the SIII?

    -Does it come preloaded with swype, or is it something you can download witht the 4.8" screen?

    -How is the GPS signal for the most part? I've had really good luck with the Nexus on that so far.

    -Can I keep my unlimited data if I switch that phone to my line, and give my nexus phone to him on his line? I don't mind paying the $30 for 2gig of data for him. I just don't want to loose my unlimited right now.

    Thanks
    There is no more unlimited data if you get the phone in a subsidized price. The only way to keep your unlimited data is to buy the phone outright, be it from Verizon, Amazon, eBay, or a gift from anyone, once you UPGRADE AT SUBSIDIZED PRICE, you unlimited data is no more.
  5. Junior Droid
    IrishSmash's Avatar
    Member #
    227027
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    28
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    ATHelpdesk
    Phone
    Galaxy S III
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    There is no more unlimited data if you get the phone in a subsidized price. The only way to keep your unlimited data is to buy the phone outright, be it from Verizon, Amazon, eBay, or a gift from anyone, once you UPGRADE AT SUBSIDIZED PRICE, you unlimited data is no more.
    If he upgrades phone B and puts it on a 2GB line (his son's phone), and then switches phone A (his phone) with phone B, his line (line A) will stay unlimited.
    Last edited by IrishSmash; 09-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    AT Helpdesk™


    Samsung Galaxy S III: Stock
    Motorola Razr Maxx: Stock

    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Stock
    Motorola Bionic: Rooted

    HTC Sensation 4G: Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G: Rooted
    iPhone 4: Jailbroke
    iPhone 3gS: Jailbroke

    And more...
  6. Droid Ninja
    k1ngr4t's Avatar
    Member #
    200555
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSmash View Post
    If he upgrades phone B and puts it on a 2GB line (his son's phone), and then switches phone A (his phone) with phone B, his line (line A) will stay unlimited.
    Unfortunately they stopped doing this sometime within the past 1-2 months. This is what I always did, and though I insisted in as friendly a way as possible, they equally insisted they've stopped doing that, and it's a rep I've known for years and I really don't think he'd lie to me now. Only way to keep it is to buy off contract.

    Also, T9 Trace is BASICALLY Swype. Kinda like Coke and Pepsi. You might not like it as much.

    Most of your pics will transfer automatically, because it should automatically backup most things on your old phone and the pictures are stored in the Google+ cloud. Technology is crazy these days.
  7. Droid
    Chubbydog's Avatar
    Member #
    180074
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    56
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSmash View Post
    If he upgrades phone B and puts it on a 2GB line (his son's phone), and then switches phone A (his phone) with phone B, his line (line A) will stay unlimited.
    Thank you. That answered my question for that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSmash View Post
    Yes- just hook both up to your computer and transfer files over.

    .
    Is there a thread showing how to do that? I tried using my backup pro, but it says there's not enough online space to transfer all the media. Last time I tried to transfer it to my computer, I couldn't get it to read the files for some reason. I hate the fact that there was no SD card in the nexus to store everything. What a stupid idea IMO!
  8. Moderator
    bsweetness's Avatar
    Member #
    42719
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,481
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbydog View Post
    Is there a thread showing how to do that? I tried using my backup pro, but it says there's not enough online space to transfer all the media. Last time I tried to transfer it to my computer, I couldn't get it to read the files for some reason. I hate the fact that there was no SD card in the nexus to store everything. What a stupid idea IMO!
    Just plug the phone into your computer with the USB cable you use to charge the phone. You'll then be able to drag and drop everything like you would with a USB drive. There's no need to use a third-party app or program unless you really want to for some reason.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

    Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

    Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  9. Junior Droid
    IrishSmash's Avatar
    Member #
    227027
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    28
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    ATHelpdesk
    Phone
    Galaxy S III
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    Unfortunately they stopped doing this sometime within the past 1-2 months. This is what I always did, and though I insisted in as friendly a way as possible, they equally insisted they've stopped doing that, and it's a rep I've known for years and I really don't think he'd lie to me now. Only way to keep it is to buy off contract.
    Really? I just did it a few days ago. I did not tell them I was doing it- I did it myself when I got home (just switched the SIM cards). I also did it this past Friday, so maybe it just has not reflected to my account? I hope I'm right at least... (gonna be pissed if I get 2 phone lines with limited data).
    AT Helpdesk™


    Samsung Galaxy S III: Stock
    Motorola Razr Maxx: Stock

    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Stock
    Motorola Bionic: Rooted

    HTC Sensation 4G: Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G: Rooted
    iPhone 4: Jailbroke
    iPhone 3gS: Jailbroke

    And more...
  10. Droid Ninja
    k1ngr4t's Avatar
    Member #
    200555
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSmash View Post
    Really? I just did it a few days ago. I did not tell them I was doing it- I did it myself when I got home (just switched the SIM cards). I also did it this past Friday, so maybe it just has not reflected to my account? I hope I'm right at least... (gonna be pissed if I get 2 phone lines with limited data).
    Interesting. Well I'm far from the first to be told no at the store when trying this. Very possible that technically you can't and your way is a nice little loop hole, like when you could convert tiered data to unlimited by signing up for Verizon's unlimited hotspot feature last year. Which I wish I knew about, even though I never go over 2gb anyways. Eventually those greedy bastards will find a way to prevent any hope of unlimited data though, retail price or not. Guess we'll find out soon enough...
  11. Master Droid
    wcjeep's Avatar
    Member #
    108617
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    493
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Samsung S3
    #10
    The GPS works great. Everything that was on my Nexus works/plays on my SIII. Not sure about the unlimited. I bought mine outright to maintain the unlimited. I went 32gb with 64gb micro SD ultra class 10.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Access SIII via PC??
    By JFrawls in forum Galaxy S3 General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM
  2. Galaxy SIII: Is 16 GB worth $50?
    By Jmoore1701 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  3. Galaxy SIII.......
    By cereal killer in forum Galaxy S3 General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
  4. Why the Galaxy SIII looks the way it does....
    By GalaxyFlatulence in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  5. Galaxy SIII
    By xDMONEYx in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Search tags for this page

can the galaxy siii charge through a computer?
,
charging galaxy s3 through usb on computer
,
droid 2 sim siii
,
how do you transfer photos from a droid x2 to galaxy s iii
,
how to switch sim card info from htc sensation to galaxy s3
,
how to transfer pictures and videos from galaxy 3 phone usin
,
how to transfer pictures from galaxy s3 to mac
,
switching sim cards from htc inspire to galaxy s 111
,
transfer all data from htc inspire to galaxy s3
,
transfer data from htc inspire to samsung galaxy s3
,
transfer from inspire to galaxy iii
,

transfer pictures from galaxy s3 to mac

,

transferring data from si to siii

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+