DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract Up, WANT S3 desperately. Which carrier should I choose?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    T-Mobile is starting up truly unlimited again.
    Hopefully this is the beginning of a new trend toward unlimited data again.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    Hopefully this is the beginning of a new trend toward unlimited data again.

Just for the companies that can't compete with Verizon's LTE coverage map and coverage in general. I do believe we are trending toward getting more data for our buck though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Has anyone heard specifics on when nationwide 4G LTE coverage will be a reality for Sprint/T-Mobile? It seems whomever I go with will be for a new contract so I can afford the phone.
    Tailgun (John)

"Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it."
  4. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    Just for the companies that can't compete with Verizon's LTE coverage map and coverage in general. I do believe we are trending toward getting more data for our buck though.

Very true. Sprint, as the third-place carrier in the U.S., has hung onto it in an effort to have something that stands out from AT&T and Verizon and might draw in a few more customers. T-Mobile, sitting in fourth place, has decided to do the same. I seriously doubt Verizon or AT&T will bring back unlimited data because they have no reason to.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgun View Post
    Has anyone heard specifics on when nationwide 4G LTE coverage will be a reality for Sprint/T-Mobile? It seems whomever I go with will be for a new contract so I can afford the phone.
    T-Mobile's LTE network won't start up until sometime in 2013 (I've read "summer" several times). And like with all of the other carriers, it will be limited at the beginning as far as active markets. I haven't seen a target date for the entire network to be active. Sprint is hoping to have their entire LTE network up an running by the end of 2013.

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    T-Mobile's LTE network won't start up until sometime in 2013 (I've read "summer" several times). And like with all of the other carriers, it will be limited at the beginning as far as active markets. I haven't seen a target date for the entire network to be active. Sprint is hoping to have their entire LTE network up an running by the end of 2013.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I'd be waiting quite awhile for assurance that I'd have 4G coverage for my shiny new toy. Guess I'll try customer retention at VZW and hope for the best (I'm sure they won't grandfather in my current unlimited data plan).
    Tailgun (John)

"Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it."
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Very true. Sprint, as the third-place carrier in the U.S., has hung onto it in an effort to have something that stands out from AT&T and Verizon and might draw in a few more customers. T-Mobile, sitting in fourth place, has decided to do the same. I seriously doubt Verizon or AT&T will bring back unlimited data because they have no reason to.
    Hopefully when sprint gets their lte up and running they'll be able to start competing again and may force vzw into giving us better deals. It might take a year or two (more like 4) but i could see unlimited coming back once everyone has lte up and running.

Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    Hopefully when sprint gets their lte up and running they'll be able to start competing again and may force vzw into giving us better deals. It might take a year or two (more like 4) but i could see unlimited coming back once everyone has lte up and running.

Personally, I don't see that happening. Faster speeds means more people will be using the network more often and for lengthier periods of time, especially as devices get faster and operate more smoothly. LTE is one of the main reasons why AT&T and Verizon have shifted away from unlimited data. If everyone on either network had unlimited data, things would get overwhelmed extremely fast. Sprint's overall coverage will expand a bit when their LTE deployment is done, but it still won't be as far reaching as Verizon's. So, I don't see Sprint being able to force Verizon or AT&T into offering unlimited data again. Sprint's able to continue offering unlimited data because they don't have a customer base that's nearly as large as AT&T and Verizon. And if they're able to add a sizable amount of new customers, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint starts moving away from unlimited data as well.

If something major were to happen, and Verizon were to find itself taking a major nosedive as far as market share and customers go, it's possible that they might run a limited promotion offering some form of unlimited data, like they've done with double data in the past. But I really don't see that happening anytime soon.

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    If you have an unlimited data plan with Verizon, I suggest you go out and buy a S3 on eBay or Craigslist and be done with it, or you can buy the unlocked version directly from Samsung, all the other carriers are WAY behind Verizon and their network. I surely do not trust a company that consistently plays commercials "T-Mobile" stating they have LTE, HSPA+ is NOT LTE.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    If you have an unlimited data plan with Verizon, I suggest you go out and buy a S3 on eBay or Craigslist and be done with it, or you can buy the unlocked version directly from Samsung, all the other carriers are WAY behind Verizon and their network. I surely do not trust a company that consistently plays commercials "T-Mobile" stating they have LTE, HSPA+ is NOT LTE.
    T Mobile doesn't say they have LTE. They say they have 4G. And according to a ruling, HSPA+ is, in fact, considered 4G. To be fair, technically, none of the providers offer true 4G yet.

Last edited by syndicate0017; 08-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links