This thread is an ongoing collection of tips and tricks for the Galaxy S3. If you have any you'd like to share, please post them in this thread (or PM me a link to a post that has a good tip or trick), and I'll update this post accordingly.
- How to enable 3G-only mode.
- The Galaxy S3 is one of the few phones on Verizon that supports SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G. Verizon doesn't advertise this because it doesn't always work 100% of the time, so it's not an officially supported feature. So, while all LTE phones on Verizon support simultaneous voice and data while connected to 4G, the S3 can do it while on 3G as well.
- How to remove the connect to WiFi reminder popup while on 3G/4G.
- How to remove the Wi-Fi On/Off notification from the Ongoing area when you pull down the notification bar. [Root access is required]
- Problems connecting to a PC via USB? Try downloading the USB driver directly from Samsung. (Discussion thread here) (thanks kaylesworth)
- Want to connect your S3 to a TV or other display via HMDI? You'll need a MHL adapter for that. The S3 requires a special MHL adapter that has 11 pins instead of the usual 5. When purchasing an adapter, make sure it directly states that it works with the S3. Alternatively, if you already have a 5-pin MHL adapter, you can buy an adapter tip that will convert the MHL adapter to 11-pins (MHL/HDMI discussion here)
- Can't take a picture while recording video? Make sure that "Anti-Shake" is turned off in the settings (which are accessed by tapping the cog icon in the camera app). If it's turned on, you won't be able to take still shots while recording video. This only applies to the anti-shake option in the settings for recording video (the anti-shake option in the settings for the still camera can be left on). (thanks Rageboardr)
- Take a screenshot: Simultaneously press and hold down the power and home buttons for about two seconds, or swipe your palm across the screen (enable this method at Settings -> Motion -> Palm swipe to capture)
- While on one of your homescreens, hold down the capacitive menu button (the one to the left of the home button) for a couple seconds to quickly bring up the Google Search app. (thanks k1ngr4t)
- Want to change your system font without root? Go to Settings -> Display -> Font Style. There are four pre-installed system fonts. You can also download other compatible fonts from the Play store. The Fontomizer SP(Font for Galaxy) app will provide you with links to a handful of free fonts that can be downloaded outside the Play store.
- Placing owner information (or a personal message) on the lock screen. (thanks LadyPhoenix)
- Manage emergency alerts: Messaging -> Menu -> Settings -> Emergency alert. All alerts (except for Presidential Alerts) can be turned off.
- Official Samsung support page for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (includes tutorial videos, manuals, and other information).
- Tips and tricks overview videos (thanks pc747)
- Motion features and gestures: