DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group text (MMS) issue.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic

Group text (MMS) issue.

So I've received a could group texts in the form of MMS on my S3. For some reason when people respond it doesn't keep it as a group text but instead I get individual texts from recipients that respond to the group text. Coming from a Bionic whenever I received a group text it would keep all the responses within the group so you could see who is responding and what they're saying. Not a big deal but it is kind of annoying when theres several people on the chain and you have to piece together what everyone is saying. Anyone know a fix to this?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #

same here

I'd like to know the answer to this question....I am having the same situation...
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Ditto on the above. Would also like to add that I cannot "reply all" to those group mms messages. Or I'm an idiot and haven't figured it out. Using the standard messaging app.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola Droid

Group Messaging on S3 with iPhone users

My iPhone friends always include me on Group messages but it always comes in to me as a separate message from each. Also, when I respond, it only goes to the one guy I respond to. Is there a way to respond to all of them at once so they see what I am saying. Also is there a way to get all their messages collected in one text so I don't keep getting 20 texts from 6 different people?
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Do you have group messaging enabled? Open up the messaging app, tap the menu button, then select Settings. Scroll down towards the bottom, and under the "Multimedia message (MMS) settings" category, there's an option for "Group conversations." If that's not checked, check it, and then see how things go.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Do you have group messaging enabled? Open up the messaging app, tap the menu button, then select Settings. Scroll down towards the bottom, and under the "Multimedia message (MMS) settings" category, there's an option for "Group conversations." If that's not checked, check it, and then see how things go.
    My MMS settings do have that option checked. I still get messages as individual messages instead of group messages. When I send messages, does that mean everyone else who is in that same group message will see it?

I got a group message from a friend that includes me and ten others. Every time one of those other people responds, it comes in as a separate message from them. I don't know if my messages go to alll in the group, or just the guy who originated the group message. make sense?
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyGlover View Post
    My MMS settings do have that option checked. I still get messages as individual messages instead of group messages. When I send messages, does that mean everyone else who is in that same group message will see it?

I got a group message from a friend that includes me and ten others. Every time one of those other people responds, it comes in as a separate message from them. I don't know if my messages go to alll in the group, or just the guy who originated the group message. make sense?
    I merged this thread with an existing thread in the help forum on the same topic.

From what I can tell by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 08-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    I merged this thread with an existing thread in the help forum on the same topic.

From what I can by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.
    Thanks a lot! that's helpful. I will snag one of those apps.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    Handcent state it does it but after downloading all 10 plugins I can't get it to work. Went with gosms, now I'm happy.
  11. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
    Handcent state it does it but after downloading all 10 plugins I can't get it to work. Went with gosms, now I'm happy.
    With Handcent, you have to open the app and go to Menu -> Settings -> Application settings and set it as the default messenger. After that, scroll down to the very bottom of the Application settings menu and check the box to enable "Thread group conversation."

Glad to get further confirmation that GoSMS works though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links