DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group text (MMS) issue.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Do you have group messaging enabled? Open up the messaging app, tap the menu button, then select Settings. Scroll down towards the bottom, and under the "Multimedia message (MMS) settings" category, there's an option for "Group conversations." If that's not checked, check it, and then see how things go.
    My Galaxy S3 on US Cellular does not have the setting for "Group Conversations" described above.
  2. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richerich View Post
    My Galaxy S3 on US Cellular does not have the setting for "Group Conversations" described above.
    It's strange that the setting isn't there, but often different carrier versions will have things set up a little differently (and can have different options in the settings). Either way, even with that setting enabled, the group messaging doesn't work properly with the stock messaging app. Try a third-party messaging app like Handcent or GoSMS.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Hello... I just upgraded from a droid incredible to the galaxy s3. So far my ONLY complaint is MMS messanging. I had the verizon messaging app working fairly well on the incredible, but now on the galaxy I can't get it work group mms messages. This is so frustrating that droid can't get this right. I tried go sms pro, handcent, and verizon messanger and they all have the same issue. All of the replies come in as SMS. Thanks!
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    GS3, HTC EVO

notifications

Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    I merged this thread with an existing thread in the help forum on the same topic.

From what I can tell by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.
    I tried the Handcent app, and it is great for using emoji and other featueres to make it "iphone like" but it doesn't solve the group messaging from my personal experience. I have to experiement more to see for sure. Also i get double notifications from it because my default messaging app gets notifications as well as my handcent app so i have to go into both apps to manually clear each notification for every message I get.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    I tried the Handcent app, and it is great for using emoji and other featueres to make it "iphone like" but it doesn't solve the group messaging from my personal experience. I have to experiement more to see for sure. Also i get double notifications from it because my default messaging app gets notifications as well as my handcent app so i have to go into both apps to manually clear each notification for every message I get.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
    Disable the stock messaging app.

Settings -> Application Manager -> select ALL at the top right, scroll down to Messaging and tap it, tap "Disable" at the top right (if it says "Uninstall Updates" at the top right, do that, and then go back into the settings to Messaging and it will say "Disable").

You can enable the stock messaging app in the future if you decide that you want to go back to it.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    iphone 5

HOw to you get Go SMS to work on Victory

I'm trying to get my friend's Sprint Samsung Victory to do group messaging in a single thread so I downloaded GOSMS but it's still coming in as single conversations. I feel like I've look at the phone setting and GOSMS settings but I must be missing something. When you downloaded it, did you have to modify any settings?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links