DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is it possible to make home button touch activated

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageboardr

I have seen developers do amazing things to phones that they were not meant to do. Also there have been some suggestions for remapping the menu button which is an idea that i hadn't thought of. Maybe just a home screen home button app. Perhaps someone on the forum has another idea i haven't tried. I admit in the post that I don't expect it can work, but why hate on me for asking a question.
    Because the question should not have been asked, It's NOT a well thought out question, no common sense was used. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rezound/ Galaxy S3/ Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    Because the question should not have been asked, It's NOT a well thought out question, no common sense was used. Sorry.

Yet more people are interested and have commented on this thread, than half of the threads on the GS3 discussion page. You may think it shouldn't have been asked because you are so smart, but i have never built a phone, and don't know what is possible. I believe the old Ipod used both touch(for volume) and hard pressed keys in the same button. The Eris used a trackball that was touch, and hard press activated as well. Even some keyboard trackpads allow for both touch and hard presses. But I suppose none of these ideas are even worth considering. No way.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageboardr

Yet more people are interested and have commented on this thread, than half of the threads on the GS3 discussion page. You may think it shouldn't have been asked because you are so smart, but i have never built a phone, and don't know what is possible. I believe the old Ipod used both touch(for volume) and hard pressed keys in the same button. The Eris used a trackball that was touch, and hard press activated as well. Even some keyboard trackpads allow for both touch and hard presses. But I suppose none of these ideas are even worth considering. No way.
    Because people respond to your thread, does not mean It's a well thought out question, in all seriousness, what made you think that the home button which is a push button and has NO type of touch sensor built into it " reason for it being a PUSH" button, that somehow by some miracle it was able to somehow sense your touch without physically pressing it down, there is a reason it is called a push button, because you have to push it down so the backside of the button touches the sensor which is designed for a push button mechanism, same as any push button mechanism. No wonder our country is going down the drain, makes me wonder what is being taught in our schools today.

Last edited by cybertec69; 08-06-2012 at 04:53 PM.
  4. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Let's calm down folks and keep things civil. Discuss the topic of the thread, not whether or not you think the topic is a good one. If we can't keep things on track, I'll have to close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageboardr View Post
    I have seen developers do amazing things to phones that they were not meant to do. Also there have been some suggestions for remapping the menu button which is an idea that i hadn't thought of. Maybe just a home screen home button app. Perhaps someone on the forum has another idea i haven't tried. I admit in the post that I don't expect it can work, but why hate on me for asking a question.
    Developers have done amazing things on the software side of things. When it comes to hardware, there's not much that can be changed. The home button on the S3 is hardware, not software. The hardware doesn't exist in the phone to be able to make the home button capacitive. I'm sure someone with a lot of knowledge and time could physically remove the home button and replace it with a capacitive button, but that would require quite a bit of work. It's not something that you're likely to see being done.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 08-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    DroidBoardr and JFrawls like this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rezound/ Galaxy S3/ Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Let's calm down folks and keep things civil. Discuss the topic of the thread, not whether or not you think the topic is a good one. If we can't keep things on track, I'll have to close the thread.

Developers have done amazing things on the software side of things. When it comes to hardware, there's not much that can be changed. The home button on the S3 is hardware, not software. The hardware doesn't exist in the phone to be able to make the home button capacitive. I'm sure someone with a lot of knowledge and time could physically remove the home button and replace it with a capacitive button, but that would require quite a bit of work. It's not something that you're likely to see being done.
    Thanks for a quality post. As i stated in the beginning i didn't think it was possible, but i would be remiss if the question wasn't asked. And others apparently appreciated it as well. And the idea that someone came up with for remapping the home and back button is a novel idea, if anyone can figure out how to do it. I could do without the back button i think. I mostly use that button to get back home anyways, but it takes a few steps. These forums are starting to get downright mean. They are taking the fun out of it. Thanks for watching out for those of us that don't know everything.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links