DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is it possible to make home button touch activated

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Why did you buy this phone if you wanted all soft touch buttons??? of all the crazy things to complain about!
    k1ngr4t likes this.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    If it helps, soft key buttons can kill the experience too. The Rezound, though overall a great phone, had a bleed over effect with the light from the soft keys. If you were looking at a pitch black background, you noticed a very distinct difference in "blackness" near the keys compared to the top. I use my phones kindle a lot, so it was really annoying reading late at night in the dark. This wasn't as noticeable on my Bionic, but I think it was because of the greatness of pentile and how they manipulate/power the pixels. Just another plus to consider for having a physical button instead of soft touch.

Edit: Also, good find Kat! That is a great solution to the OPs problem, or at least a very fair compromise. Great idea for an app too...
    Last edited by k1ngr4t; 08-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageboardr View Post
    Title says it all. I am wondering if there is any way to make the home button a touch sensitive button instead. This button really kills the experience. I miss the all touch like the Rezound had. I understand they are trying to clone the iPhone, but i thought ICS was going to move away from anything not touch sensitive. Anyways, if anyone has any idea if this is possible, i would appriciate any info. I expect that I would have to Root, but is the phone even capable of being changed this way.
    NO, what kind of question is this, if it was touch sensitive, it would not be an active push button in the first place. You are not really serious with this question, please tell me you are not.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    @bacK_N_87
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageboardr
    Title says it all. I am wondering if there is any way to make the home button a touch sensitive button instead. This button really kills the experience. I miss the all touch like the Rezound had. I understand they are trying to clone the iPhone, but i thought ICS was going to move away from anything not touch sensitive. Anyways, if anyone has any idea if this is possible, i would appriciate any info. I expect that I would have to Root, but is the phone even capable of being changed this way.
    Number one reason why didn't buy this phone. Despite those impressive specs.
    RazrBlade
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    If it helps, soft key buttons can kill the experience too. The Rezound, though overall a great phone, had a bleed over effect with the light from the soft keys. If you were looking at a pitch black background, you noticed a very distinct difference in "blackness" near the keys compared to the top. I use my phones kindle a lot, so it was really annoying reading late at night in the dark. This wasn't as noticeable on my Bionic, but I think it was because of the greatness of pentile and how they manipulate/power the pixels. Just another plus to consider for having a physical button instead of soft touch.

Edit: Also, good find Kat! That is a great solution to the OPs problem, or at least a very fair compromise. Great idea for an app too...
    you do realize your point really makes no sense here seeing the gs3 has two other touch sensitive buttons that don't bleed?
    Just saying.

i also think the giant home button is the biggest failure of this phone, and i don't remember it ever being mentioned in reviews....it was the first thing i noticed when i got the phone, intentionally leave my thumb nail longer than my other fingernails just so i can easily press the button....

sure it isn't droid x bad but its failure is exaggerated due to the other soft keys being so good.

i've completely de-activated the backlight on the softkeys..which is an awesome feature.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    Quote Originally Posted by bendystrawboy View Post
    you do realize your point really makes no sense here seeing the gs3 has two other touch sensitive buttons that don't bleed?
    Just saying.
    My point?? You mean optimism? Amazing how when you're just trying to help, someone still has to put you down. All I'm saying is that capacitive touch buttons can have some pretty obvious downfalls too. Also if you read the thread you'd see it applied more to the conversation at hand than the original OP, though still applicable. Just saying...

Out of curiosity, if you dislike the button so much, why get the phone? Not like it was a hidden secret or covered up, I think most reviewers didn't mention it because it's pretty obvious what you're getting into. I mean, I hope it's the first thing you noticed, otherwise I'd recommend a trip to the eye doctors.

Also thanks for pointing out another great feature of the S3, which blocks out that bleed over light. Hopefully it becomes the new standard.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rezound/ Galaxy S3/ Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by mkstn View Post
    Why did you buy this phone if you wanted all soft touch buttons??? of all the crazy things to complain about!
    Because there is much more to this phone that just the hard pressed button.. Because Verizon ended the Unlimited plan, and this was the feature phone at the time. And i wouldn't call asking a question complaining. Isn't that what forums are for. If you cant help the conversation, don't.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    NO, what kind of question is this, if it was touch sensitive, it would not be an active push button in the first place. You are not really serious with this question, please tell me you are not.
    I have seen developers do amazing things to phones that they were not meant to do. Also there have been some suggestions for remapping the menu button which is an idea that i hadn't thought of. Maybe just a home screen home button app. Perhaps someone on the forum has another idea i haven't tried. I admit in the post that I don't expect it can work, but why hate on me for asking a question.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post
    Personally, I think having a physical button sort of mars the look of the phone. And it looks too much like Samsung is copying Apple's home button. Not good.

Changing the mechanical button for a capacitive one would be the only thing I would change on this phone.
    My sentiments Exactly. Thanks. And to those who suggest that captivate buttons get pressed accidentally, that has never been a problem for me. I don't have fat fingers, but i imagine that could be an issue for some. Point taken.
    However I too find myself having to readjust how i am holding the phone just to press the home key. It just doesn't fit the "experience."

Thanks to all who post worthwhile comments that progress the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links