DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: MACBOOK PRO USB Tether Issue

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsun Galaxy S3

MACBOOK PRO USB Tether Issue

Hey guys-

When I plug in my SGS3 into my mac via usb, the phone starts to charge and everything... HOWEVER no USB connection tether setting or anything shows up in my drop down bar... In addition, I have android file transfer application on my macbook pro, which says "No device connected, please connect to USB, blah blah blah" Can anyone help me with this issue? And yes I know I can just use Kies... Is there any way do this the old fashioned way by using the Finder on the Mac and not having to use applications and such??

Thanks!
  2. ksb
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy III
    I'm not sure if this will even address your issue. I racked my brain trying to find where my MacBook even acknowledged my phone. Took days, asked lots of questions, searched forums, asked Samsung in a chat, etc. Well, after messing around one night, I happened to find my phone when I clicked my Bluetooth symbol up in the top right bar. There it was. I was trying to download my iPhoto pix, by the way. Voila! Done deal.
    Last edited by ksb; 07-24-2012 at 09:57 PM.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I use SyncMate. There is a check box to Mount SD card, but it cannot see my external card. I haven't tried BT.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leclair0016 View Post
    Hey guys-

When I plug in my SGS3 into my mac via usb, the phone starts to charge and everything... HOWEVER no USB connection tether setting or anything shows up in my drop down bar... In addition, I have android file transfer application on my macbook pro, which says "No device connected, please connect to USB, blah blah blah" Can anyone help me with this issue? And yes I know I can just use Kies... Is there any way do this the old fashioned way by using the Finder on the Mac and not having to use applications and such??

Thanks!
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for/about here. There are like three different issues and you already answered one yourself (use Kies) but it has nothing to do with the tethering you asked about.

Please clarify.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Mac not recognizing SGS3

Quote Originally Posted by leclair0016 View Post
    Hey guys-

Thanks!
    The SGS3 doesn't have the USB mass storage mode anymore. ICS uses MTP instead of the old USB mass storage. If you download "android file transfer" onto your MBP, then select the camera protocol, your MBP will recognize your phone and you can drag and drop files back and forth between the two.

I personally use Missing Sync for android, but it's a pain because it will double, triple copy photos and songs, so after the first transfer, you have to uncheck those options, but otherwise it syncs my calendars, contact, ect. then you can go in and select the new pics from iPhoto to transfer or specific songs you want to transfer via bluetooth or wifi. I didn't have any luck using Kies. Too frustrated to figure out why when I have two other processes that work.

Hope that helps.

Links