DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 341
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

  1. Droid Ninja
    cybertec69's Avatar
    Member #
    60551
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    1,694
    Liked
    165 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by meb050175 View Post
    I have had my s3 for 10 days. I had mine in my back pocket and went to the rest room it fell 3 inches, THREE inches and cracked. This is unbelievable. I have dropped other phones from waist height and not even a chip on the screen. I called Samsung and they were no help. Being that it was from an "impact" it is not covered by warranty. IF the screen is going to crack this easily I would believe that it is a manufactures defect. I'm not with Verizon, I am with T-mobile so I don't know what they will do I am going to call T-Mobile and find out what they will do for me. I Googled screen crack on this phone and it is very common. I am thinking class action lawsuit. This is absolutely rediculious that this is happening. Samsung needs to stand behind their product and admit there is a problem with the design of the phone if the screen is cracking so easily! I expected better from one of the top electronics manufacturers.
    I have dropped my s3 numerous times and no damage to phone or screen.



    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums
    Last edited by cybertec69; 12-23-2012 at 08:44 AM.
  2. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,589
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meb050175 View Post
    I have had my s3 for 10 days. I had mine in my back pocket and went to the rest room it fell 3 inches, THREE inches and cracked. This is unbelievable. I have dropped other phones from waist height and not even a chip on the screen. I called Samsung and they were no help. Being that it was from an "impact" it is not covered by warranty. IF the screen is going to crack this easily I would believe that it is a manufactures defect. I'm not with Verizon, I am with T-mobile so I don't know what they will do I am going to call T-Mobile and find out what they will do for me. I Googled screen crack on this phone and it is very common. I am thinking class action lawsuit. This is absolutely rediculious that this is happening. Samsung needs to stand behind their product and admit there is a problem with the design of the phone if the screen is cracking so easily! I expected better from one of the top electronics manufacturers.
    Having carried the phone in your back (or front), pocket - especially in tight pants places repeated stresses in the glass as you sit down, bend over and even walk, that otherwise wouldn't be there. Like most anything that is bent repeatedly, the repetitive stress weakens the crystal structure, imparting microscopic fissures in the glass along the edges that are so small you can't see them except under a microscope with highly directional light. The addition of these fissures increases stress on the glass and makes them more susceptible to what would otherwise be small infrequent stresses. Over time these fissures can become so fragile that a small bump is enough to send them across the screen as a full-blown crack. Think of the stresses that build up over time along fault lines in the earth, and that eventually they release and we have earthquakes. It's not much different in theory.

    I've never had a phone screen or digitizer crack and I've never used a case of any kind. I've had probably a dozen phones that had full front glass faces. I have NEVER carried any of them in a back pocket, rarely carry them in a front pocket, and typically carry them in a jacket pocket, top shirt pocket, or in the past - a belt case. I've dropped them at one time or another, though as I've moved into the expensive smartphone arena, I've been very conscious of the phones and made sure to prevent accidental dropping. I've not yet dropped my Droid RAZR MAXX, never dropped the RAZR before it, and never dropped either the D2 or OGD before them. I've handed down my D2 to my son, and after numerous drops, he's still not cracked the screen though the bezel shows dings. By the way, he doesn't carry it in his pants pockets either.

    I am not saying that these phones aren't more fragile than those of previous designs...quite the contrary, which is WHY you SHOULDN'T carry them in pants pockets if at all possible, and if you do USE A CASE, such as an Otterbox or other flex and bump protection.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Newbie
    hydro79's Avatar
    Member #
    319638
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by firstG1 View Post
    I found this forum when searching for people with the S 3 that have been having a problem with the screen cracking on its own. I pulled mine off the charger this morning and the screen had a diagonal crack alone the upper left corner. When I got to work, I looked at it again and it developed another crack that go’s from the middle of that crack up to the corner. This phone is only five day old, I have never dropped it, I only have the flip cover on it, and I always carrier it in my coat pocket since it has started getting cold up here in the upper Midwest. I will call Verizon today and see if they will do anything for me, if only to get the complete registered. I will post back and let you know what happens.
    I'm sad to say my phone developed a crack last night. Interesting thing is that It happened within ten minutes after installing a brand new Flip Cover (made by Samsung). I'm quoting you only because you also have a flip cover. I have had the phone for five months and never dropped it. I believe the screen was not up to par to begin with and the new cover exposed the weakness. This cover actually replaces the battery cover with a thicker one that has almost no flex. It installed fine and flush just like it should as it is a Samsung product but I'm 100% sure this caused the problem as it was not dropped or even put in a pocket. It was in my hand from the time it was installed until the screen showed the crack ten minutes later when I looked at the time. However, the screen MUST have been weak to begin with. Contacted Samsung and got the same answer as most everybody else with this issue... "the screen is damaged and not covered under warranty". Interesting that both the phone and the cover are made by Samsung and they won't cover an issue that was obviously caused by one (or both).

    So frustrating. I really love this phone and have taken great care of it. Didn't have a single scratch on it...

    I have the white SG3 by the way. My crack is on the top right corner from between the camera and sensors to below the power button.
    Last edited by hydro79; 12-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
  4. Droid Ninja
    k1ngr4t's Avatar
    Member #
    200555
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,327
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    Damn sorry to hear that Hydro. I seriously can't believe even at this point Samsung will do nothing. Though because it's at this point, that's kind of proof that this is definitely not a widespread issue. With the Bionic, Verizon admitted they were getting calls all day long about the data issues. Or when the iPhone 4 had all the reception issues, that was all over the news and clearly a widespread problem.

    I know Radioshack offers a screen replacement service for like $70 or something. Not sure how effective it would be cause it's still not known if this is a screen/glass problem or a backing/too tight problem. Or both. But it's definitely cheaper than buying a new phone or opening a new line.

    Another thing I've noticed is it always seems to happen in someone's pocket. This has to be a "clue" of some sort...but what is it Watson?!
    Last edited by k1ngr4t; 12-23-2012 at 05:55 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Crankintopwater69's Avatar
    Member #
    175329
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greensboro,NC
    Posts
    1,782
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat

    Re: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    Damn sorry to hear that Hydro. I seriously can't believe even at this point Samsung will do nothing. Though because it's at this point, that's kind of proof that this is definitely not a widespread issue. With the Bionic, Verizon admitted they were getting calls all day long about the data issues. Or when the iPhone 4 had all the reception issues, that was all over the news and clearly a widespread problem.

    I know Radioshack offers a screen replacement service for like $70 or something. Not sure how effective it would be cause it's still not known if this is a screen/glass problem or a backing/too tight problem. Or both. But it's definitely cheaper than buying a new phone or opening a new line.

    Another thing I've noticed is it always seems to happen in someone's pocket. This has to be a "clue" of some sort...but what is it Watson?!
    Note to self,don't put phone in pocket.



    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    FoxKat likes this.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  6. Droid Newbie
    hydro79's Avatar
    Member #
    319638
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by k1ngr4t View Post
    Damn sorry to hear that Hydro. I seriously can't believe even at this point Samsung will do nothing. Though because it's at this point, that's kind of proof that this is definitely not a widespread issue. With the Bionic, Verizon admitted they were getting calls all day long about the data issues. Or when the iPhone 4 had all the reception issues, that was all over the news and clearly a widespread problem.

    I know Radioshack offers a screen replacement service for like $70 or something. Not sure how effective it would be cause it's still not known if this is a screen/glass problem or a backing/too tight problem. Or both. But it's definitely cheaper than buying a new phone or opening a new line.

    Another thing I've noticed is it always seems to happen in someone's pocket. This has to be a "clue" of some sort...but what is it Watson?!
    Well it's hard to tell because many people here and other forums (and the comments on the youtube video linked to earlier on this thread) have had the screen crack while charging, while using it, and like me while just holding it. In my case I almost certainly say that it was due to flex (incredibly light flex). The original battery cover was very flexible and if the screen was not perfectly straight or the right cut (exact size and dimensions) I would think the phone itself would flex a bit to compensate due to the forces against it from the screen. However, when I installed the flip cover the phone might have "straightened out" and cracked the screen...

    I think you are right about a sub-standard factory releasing a bad batch. Doesn't Corning make the screen anyway? I would think they get the dimensions and just send the screens to the factories where the phones are assembled.
  7. Droid Newbie
    hydro79's Avatar
    Member #
    319638
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I don't know if I can trust RadioShack anymore. Did you know you don't get any warranty from their products anymore? You actually have to purchase the warranty now. Also, most cheap replacement screens have a yellow hue to them.
  8. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,589
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro79 View Post
    I don't know if I can trust RadioShack anymore. Did you know you don't get any warranty from their products anymore? You actually have to purchase the warranty now. Also, most cheap replacement screens have a yellow hue to them.
    I don't believe this is correct. There are both written and implied warranties (which differ from state to state), but products sold at Radio Shack will typically come with a 90-day Limited Warranty, where failure as a result of defect in materials or manufacturing will be honored with a repair or replacement at the manufacturer's discretion. In most cases, it is simply replaced with either a new, or Refurbished "like new" product of the same or greater value.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  9. Droid Newbie
    hydro79's Avatar
    Member #
    319638
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    I don't believe this is correct. There are both written and implied warranties (which differ from state to state), but products sold at Radio Shack will typically come with a 90-day Limited Warranty, where failure as a result of defect in materials or manufacturing will be honored with a repair or replacement at the manufacturer's discretion. In most cases, it is simply replaced with either a new, or Refurbished "like new" product of the same or greater value.
    You are right. I over-simplified. They used to provide a full one year warranty on products that had the RadioShack name. I went last week to purchase a soldering iron (RadioShack branded) and was told it came with no warranty beyond the 90 days. I was shocked since it was close to $100 and it was their brand. I'm sure they don't actually make it but it is being sold as a RadioShack soldering iron. I live in VA by the way so maybe it's a different story in PA?
    FoxKat likes this.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Unhapp's Avatar
    Member #
    331051
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    Same exact scenario here......... i cant believe a recall is not in place..... even if it is for a small batch of phones.
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Cracked screen and no ins..not cool Verizon
    By shedroid in forum HTC ThunderBolt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
  2. Galaxy nexus cracked screen HELP!!!
    By mikeyforgot in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
  3. Is rooting or cracked screen causing touch screen to not work right?
    By curryhj2000 in forum Droid Incredible Hacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 11:03 AM
  4. Dropped Phone, screen cracked. Verizon BS
    By hdeez in forum HTC ThunderBolt
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM
  5. Can a cracked screen/digitizer cause a black screen?
    By Bill 3 in forum Rescue Squad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Search tags for this page

broken galaxy s3 screen
,

galaxy s3 broken screen

,

galaxy s3 cracked screen

,
galaxy s3 screen break
,
galaxy s3 screen cracked
,
galaxy s3 screen cracking
,
s3 cracked screen
,
samsung galaxy s3 cracked case
,
samsung galaxy s3 screen broken
,
samsung galaxy s3 screen cracking
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+