DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

1. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by dscrap View Post
    Hi,

I've had my GS3 for just under two weeks and love it. However, this morning I left for work and had it on my passenger seat in my car and when I got out of my car I noticed a crack going from the top of the phone straight down to the home button. The phone was not droped or anything and was fine before I left for work. I didn't even use it. I've read online that a few other people have had the same thing happen to them. Would Verizon swap it out for me? It is obviously a manufactures defect. I am reall disappointed that it happened. I just got the phone and signed a two year contract... depressed.
    If you're sure the crack was not caused by personal factor, Version will change it for you. But if Version doesn't think so, it will be expensive to replace the screen for you. Because I found the cost of the replacement is not cheap, you can see the price here. Hope this can help you. Good luck.
    Shadez and FoxKat like this.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy s3

screen crack

I have had my s3 for 10 days. I had mine in my back pocket and went to the rest room it fell 3 inches, THREE inches and cracked. This is unbelievable. I have dropped other phones from waist height and not even a chip on the screen. I called Samsung and they were no help. Being that it was from an "impact" it is not covered by warranty. IF the screen is going to crack this easily I would believe that it is a manufactures defect. I'm not with Verizon, I am with T-mobile so I don't know what they will do I am going to call T-Mobile and find out what they will do for me. I Googled screen crack on this phone and it is very common. I am thinking class action lawsuit. This is absolutely rediculious that this is happening. Samsung needs to stand behind their product and admit there is a problem with the design of the phone if the screen is cracking so easily! I expected better from one of the top electronics manufacturers.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S 3
    The Gs3 is defiantly fragile. I wonder if many of the screens that appear to crack on their own, had something happen to it that the owners never noticed, or if they did would have never thought that it would crack the screen. One thing that I notice is that the top and the bottom look very much alike and I have found myself try to wake it up by pushing on the earphone on the top, when I get in low light situations. It is human nature to apply more pressure to a button when you do not get a response. If you look at some of the pictures on this forum, you can see that many of the cracks are coming from the top opening where the earphone is located; some others are coming from the bottom botton. I think that the top and the bottom opening on the Gs3 digitizer is defiantly a week spot and a manufactures defect. If some smart attorney decided to start a class action suit, I would defiantly participate in it.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    S3
    I've been nervous about how fragile everyone says the s3 screen is, but I haven't had any trouble... yet.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat

Re: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

Quote Originally Posted by Redsand187 View Post
    I've been nervous about how fragile everyone says the s3 screen is, but I haven't had any trouble... yet.
    No trouble with my screen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    360 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    With well over 30 million devices sold around the world, if it was really any more fragile than most smartphones out there, it would be a huge PR disaster for Samsung and everyone would know about it (similar to the whole antenna issue on the iPhone 4 which was was reported everywhere). But the fact is, while some people certainly have had issues, the screen isn't any more fragile than the screen on pretty much every other phone out there.
    FoxKat likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Eris/Inc2/X2/Bionic/Rez/GS3/N3
    And just to ice the cake, you say how fragile everyone says it is, when really hardly anybody says that. If you only read this thread, then you might find more than others. But even in this thread you'll find at least 3x as many users saying they DON'T have this problem. Granted it is an ISSUE which happens more than it should, but it's not a problem with the phone itself, just circumstance. Moral of the story is don't believe everything, or anything really, that you read on the internet. Particularly if its about smartphones. Just sayin...
    FoxKat likes this.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    On the GS3, you have to be very careful. When I had a Blackberry Storm, I destroyed the screen with the hand brake in my car, but it was a durable phone. Most phones have a large border around the screen, and I am not talking about the glass that has no display. Most current phones, when you run your fingernail off the side, have an edge you will catch your finger on. That protects the phone quite a bit and absorbs some damage in direct screen falls. The GS3 doesnt have that border, which makes it much more susceptible to being destroyed. I had my S3 in my breast pocket, and bent over to look at my bike wheel. It fell out from about 3 feet and shattered the screen and LCD. Luckily, I was able to use my ex wifes upgrade and keep my unlimited data plan, but I will forever treat the S3 with much more of a fragile mind.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Well on that note, I dropped my GS3 on the tile floor of my bathroom, probably about 3-4 feet (I'm tall) and not a single scratch (this was before the case). With my case but before the screen protector, it fell off my lap onto asphalt when getting out of the car. Not a single scratch. I did pretty much the EXACT same drop with my Rezound and the screen shattered so bad it was unusable. So I wouldn't write the GS3 off as being "fragile" just yet, but it does seem like some models aren't built quite as well. So the phone itself is solid, I know it feels light and plasticy but my experience and many youtube comparison videos show otherwise. Look em up, it's fun to watch expensive gadgets that aren't yours get mindlessly destroyed.

I'd be willing to bet there was a factory in China that wasn't quite up to standards and there was a hefty batch of faulty phones released in the US.

Oh and you're right about the screen, but that doesn't factor in quite as much as you might think. I'm not sure how you destroy a phone with your hand brake, but it couldn't have been much more intense than a 3 foot fall onto asphalt, the smartphone screen's mortal enemy. I would highly suggest getting a case. They have a great TPU case on Amazon that you don't even realize is on, but adds a good level of corner protection as well as makes the phone less slippery.
    Last edited by k1ngr4t; 12-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Phone
    Oh one more thing for those who are a little worried.....screen protectors. They're not just for keys anymore.

There's also a lot of cool comparison videos of trying to break the exact same phone but with a screen protector on. I think there's one with an iPhone 4 or something where it was dropped from the top of a building. One obviously shattered completely, while the other's screen was untouched. Corner scratches but perfect screen. There are more videos like it I'm sure. I've never been a fan of screen protectors, but with the case I have, after having it on for a few days I can't even tell anymore.
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Links