DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    no insurance? what's odd is it's the screen not the digitizer that cracked and they STILL blamed you? I've never once broken an actual LCD.... always been the digitizer, well my wife broke them, either way the glass is there to protect that LCD, it's really to bad you didn't fight harder.

No insurance unfortunately. I have never had problems with phones and always decline insurance.

I agree though. I don't see how a crack UNDER the glass of the screen is my fault when there is no other damage and I absolutely have not bumped/dropped the phone. Maybe I should have tried to fight harder; by their definition of 'any screen damage is caused by the user' they could pump out screens with minor defects that show up a month later and the owner would always be blamed.

And the previous poster is probably right, I doubt it was the Otterbox case but I'm just reaching for a reason that this may have happened. It probably is just a bad phone though and I hope I have no problems with the new one.

I was going to live with the crack, but of course my whole screen soon after started turning blue and becoming unusable (especially after every tech in the Verizon store kept applying pressure to the glass above the screen crack to look at it!).

If anyone else has this issue, know that Samsung will charge you $178 total to fix it.
    Last edited by crownjbl; 10-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I've been browsing this thread because I've also experienced a mysterious break in my screen. Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..-phone-187.jpg
    I took a photograph on the phone while I was inside and there was no sign of damage. I showed people the picture and then proceeded outside to line up for a group photo. Went to take another picture and noticed the cracks over the screen. The people that had previously viewed the photo I took were surprised and shocked that my screen was broken for no apparent reason.

I had been experiencing another problem with my phone over the previous 3 weeks, namely that WiFi had stopped working. I had tried a hard reset and still no joy. Was about to take it into shop for a warranty examination when the screen cracked. Anyway, I took it in and explained to the shop that the phone had 2 problems, the FIRST being the WiFi not working, the second being the mysterious screen crack. They charged me $52 up front and sent it off to Samsung. I've heard back that Samsung believe that the screen was broken by me and won't fix it under warranty. When I asked about the WiFi they said they weren't aware of that problem but they expect that the warranty would be void because I had broken the screen. I jumped up and down and asked them to look into the WiFi problem first and see if they could fix it or whether it needed a replacement phone. They are yet to get back to me.

The main reason I posted here was to let the forum know that there is at least one other S3 that has had a mysterious crack.

Cheers
    Gregg
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greggatshack View Post
    I've been browsing this thread because I've also experienced a mysterious break in my screen. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 187.jpg 
Views:	2390 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	58471
    I took a photograph on the phone while I was inside and there was no sign of damage. I showed people the picture and then proceeded outside to line up for a group photo. Went to take another picture and noticed the cracks over the screen. The people that had previously viewed the photo I took were surprised and shocked that my screen was broken for no apparent reason.

I had been experiencing another problem with my phone over the previous 3 weeks, namely that WiFi had stopped working. I had tried a hard reset and still no joy. Was about to take it into shop for a warranty examination when the screen cracked. Anyway, I took it in and explained to the shop that the phone had 2 problems, the FIRST being the WiFi not working, the second being the mysterious screen crack. They charged me $52 up front and sent it off to Samsung. I've heard back that Samsung believe that the screen was broken by me and won't fix it under warranty. When I asked about the WiFi they said they weren't aware of that problem but they expect that the warranty would be void because I had broken the screen. I jumped up and down and asked them to look into the WiFi problem first and see if they could fix it or whether it needed a replacement phone. They are yet to get back to me.

The main reason I posted here was to let the forum know that there is at least one other S3 that has had a mysterious crack.

Cheers
    Gregg
    Looking at that picture under zoom, it appears that the greatest percentage of those cracks are crisscross cracks through the middle of the screen from top to bottom. They could have been caused by undue pressure at the (correction) [home button] (notice how several cracks terminate in that opening [around the button] but don't continue above it), they could be due to pressure applied to the glass front due to sitting on or bending over with the phone in pocket, or could be due to an expanding battery. I am not going to make assumptions or try to say what I believe the cracks to be due to specifically, but they DON'T appear to be radiating from a point along an edge where the indication would be a drop. The fact that they are not really concentrated in any one area and mostly run from top to bottom says pressure rather than impact.

Usually cracks from a drop along an edge are obvious, with the greatest concentration of crisscross (or circular) cracking right at the point of impact, and then radiating outward into less concentrated cracking as they get farther away from that impact point (see first image below). Same holds true for highly concentrated impact breaks, such as dropping something on the screen or dropping the screen face-down onto a small rock or other uneven hard surface (see second and third images below). These patterns are often called "spider-webbing" since they often look very much like a spider's web (example 2 below is the best representation of this).

Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..-replace-your-apple-iphone-5s-cracked-screen.w654.jpgGalaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..-cracked-iphone-screen.jpgGalaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..-broken-screen-cellphone.jpg

My inclination is the cracks are due to excessive pressure, either from in front of or behind the glass and along the center of the phone, making the point of origin at or near the center of the screen. These cracks are consistent with either direct downward pressure or expanding battery causing direct upward pressure. In either case, the reason the cracks seem to then "take off" at the [home button] opening may be due to the fact that it's a weak spot in the entire glass surface.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 11-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Looking at that picture under zoom, it appears that the greatest percentage of those cracks are crisscross cracks through the middle of the screen from top to bottom. They could have been caused by undue pressure at the opening of the earpiece (notice how several cracks terminate in that opening but don't continue above it), they could be due to pressure applied to the glass front due to sitting on or bending over with the phone in pocket, or could be due to an expanding battery. I am not going to make assumptions or try to say what I believe the cracks to be due to specifically, but they DON'T appear to be radiating from a point along an edge where the indication would be a drop. The fact that they are not really concentrated in any one area and mostly run from top to bottom says pressure rather than impact.

Usually cracks from a drop along an edge are obvious, with the greatest concentration of crisscross (or circular) cracking right at the point of impact, and then radiating outward into less concentrated cracking as they get farther away from that impact point (see first image below). Same holds true for highly concentrated impact breaks, such as dropping something on the screen or dropping the screen face-down onto a small rock or other uneven hard surface (see second and third images below). These patterns are often called "spider-webbing" since they often look very much like a spider's web (example 2 below is the best representation of this).

My inclination is the cracks are due to excessive pressure, either from in front of or behind the glass and along the center of the phone, making the point of origin at or near the center of the screen. These cracks are consistent with either direct downward pressure or expanding battery causing direct upward pressure. In either case, the reason the cracks seem to then "take off" at the earpiece opening may be due to the fact that it's a weak spot in the entire glass surface.
    Thanks for that feedback. The phone had been in my pocket all weekend while I was participating in our pistol shooting National champs. It was fine at the end of the day when I was taking photos at the prizegiving. The cracks appeared at some time during my walk to the outside of the building. There was no possibility of external pressure occurring during this time. Is it possible that pressure at some earlier time could have caused some unnoticeable damage that somehow became noticeable gradually?
    That picture may have been misleading here is another picture showing the top of the screen more clearly...
    Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..-phone-196.jpg
    Last edited by greggatshack; 11-21-2012 at 11:32 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

Re: Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

Thanks for that feedback. The phone had been in my pocket all weekend while I was participating in our pistol shooting National champs. It was fine at the end of the day when I was taking photos at the prizegiving. The cracks appeared at some time during my walk to the outside of the building. There was no possibility of external pressure occurring during this time. Is it possible that pressure at some earlier time could have caused some unnoticeable damage that somehow became noticeable gradually?
    That picture may have been misleading here is another picture showing the top of the screen more clearly...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 196.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	58484
    Starting at the home button and radiating out. You need to fight to have them fix it, use FoxKat's example and explain it... don't give up keep harassing them and make sure you get the name of every person you talk to, go up the chain... it's easier in person because you can make yourself such a pain in the ass that they just want you gone. Just keep asking for the supervisor and person in charge on the phone, keep going up and if any refuse to escalate get their name and file a complaint.

Just make yourself a huge distraction and pain. Good luck

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.
    FoxKat likes this.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member

Thanks liftedplane, you helped me to seeit was the home button opening, not the earpiece opening. This does lend more credibility to the damage possibly having been caused by pressure at/around the button. That's not to say it was extreme pressure, our even excessive pressure. The glass could have been stressed at that opening already.

I still say the failure can't be blamed on you, the failure looks atypical of damage due to abuse. I agree with liftedplane, fight and don't give up so readily. Warranties are backed internally by loss-stop insurance, so they are trying to reduce the negative impact to their rates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanks FoxKat and liftedplane, I'll get back onto them and see where we go. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    Gregg
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2

My $0.02 worth... (I had been considering an S3, not anymore.)
    IMHO
    Samsung and VZW seem to be ignoring the problem, maybe because most of the reports of the issue are on the forums, where most people don't go unless they have a problem And know that the forums exist. Maybe if some people with the problem posted the issue and their experiences with the companies on a more public venue, (like at a tech site or news site where the phone is being discussed or advertised) where more of the general public would see it, it might goad Samsung and VZW to do right by their customers and replace these phones gratis. As it is, they are not doing anything because people are still buying the S3. And as long as people keep buying the phones, why who cares if some people are getting shafted. If they were getting bad press about the issue to where people started shying away from the phones, well then... (shrug)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by desertknit View Post
    My $0.02 worth... (I had been considering an S3, not anymore.)
    IMHO
    Samsung and VZW seem to be ignoring the problem, maybe because most of the reports of the issue are on the forums, where most people don't go unless they have a problem And know that the forums exist. Maybe if some people with the problem posted the issue and their experiences with the companies on a more public venue, (like at a tech site or news site where the phone is being discussed or advertised) where more of the general public would see it, it might goad Samsung and VZW to do right by their customers and replace these phones gratis. As it is, they are not doing anything because people are still buying the S3. And as long as people keep buying the phones, why who cares if some people are getting shafted. If they were getting bad press about the issue to where people started shying away from the phones, well then... (shrug)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    I have put a copy of my story on their FB page. Don't know how much exposure I'm going to get from that but I have been considering just putting up a webpage off my own domain and promoting it as much as I can. What we need is something to go viral... I've also just now put a link to this thread on their FB page. I'll just keep the campaign going until I get some satisfaction.
    Last edited by greggatshack; 11-24-2012 at 01:10 AM.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

I have put a copy of my story on their FB page. Don't know how much exposure I'm going to get from that but I have been considering just putting up a webpage off my own domain and promoting it as much as I can. What we need is something to go viral... I've also just now put a link to this thread on their FB page. I'll just keep the campaign going until I get some satisfaction.
    Link it here I'll share and post in their fan page as well. Might as well. And get as many as we can get here into it.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Links