DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Lesson learned, don't keep the phone in the pocket that's meant to be sat on hehe.

On a seriouse note, glad you had the insurance!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    JFrawls
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    phone in the back pocket....
    MAMBA24ILL likes this.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GS3
    +1 to talking to a manager at Verizon. If your not buying a phone, cs reps at Verizon will do nothing for you.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrizzle View Post
    So I had my samsung for four days, and I sat down on the cushioned seat in my truck with it in my back pocket and crack!!! It shattered the very bottom of the screen glass right in between the home button and the trim. I came from an Iphone 4S and would keep it there unprotected all the time. I had no idea this screen is so fragile. This sucks. Good thing I got the insurance.
    I had mine for 3 days, one of the first in my location. I initially took it to the Sprint Store for activation, they had no cases for it other than some stick on "film" that I did not want. before my ordered case came, I dropped from my pocket from about 4 to 5 inches, it cracked the screen with no visible damage to the case or the screen other than the "spider web" cracks.

IMHO, it is a manufacturing defect. The S2 or yes even the MePhone are not that fragile. My daughter has the S2, and is in college, if it were that fragile it would have needed to be replaced every other month or so. She told me that she has dropped her phone from her "hand" and her desk, over 2ft repeatedly, no damage.

The S3 should be corrected or come with a warning.

It is a HANDHELD phone, it should not have to be kept wrapped in bubble wrap on my desk. Other than it's fragility, I like the phone. SAMSUNG FIX THE SCREEN!!

Tim
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt/ S3
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrizzle
    So I had my samsung for four days, and I sat down on the cushioned seat in my truck with it in my back pocket and crack!!! It shattered the very bottom of the screen glass right in between the home button and the trim. I came from an Iphone 4S and would keep it there unprotected all the time. I had no idea this screen is so fragile. This sucks. Good thing I got the insurance.
    That sucks but also the s3 is a lot longer than the Iphone and made of plastic lol I would never put a phone in my back pocket
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GS3
    Sounds like a potential Corning issue.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_drebin1
    Sounds like a potential Corning issue.
    It's not a corning issue, it's a part of manufacturing, and a part of owner negligence. There can be hundreds of different ways something can break, the funny thing is people hear Gorilla glass and they think it can not break, it's scuff resistant not shatter proof, we are not there yet with glass to be shatter proof, that means, you can NOT toss your phone around thinking it will not break, there will be times you will drop it and nothing will happen and others were it will get damaged, people also seem to forget that temperature plays a big part in a device tasking a blow and withstanding it, and not withstanding it, as materials expand and contract with changing temperatures.
    Last edited by cybertec69; 07-22-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    GS3
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69

It's not a corning issue, it's a part of manufacturing, and a part of owner negligence. There can be hundreds of different ways something can break, the funny thing is people hear Gorilla glass and they think it can not break, it's scuff resistant not shatter proof, we are not there yet with glass to be shatter proof, that means, you can NOT toss your phone around thinking it will not break, there will be times you will drop it and nothing will happen and others were it will get damaged, people also seem to forget that temperature plays a big part in a device tasking a blow and withstanding it, and not withstanding it, as materials expand and contract with changing temperatures.
    I completely agree with you about the lack of owner responsibility. I've had no issues with mine and love it. I also treat my phone like it's a $600 piece of technology.

However, I know Corning has has some issues in the past. I'm just wondering if they tried to push their new glass out too quickly creating potential defects or potentially poor quality. I would think the phone would be able to withstand a 5" drop. Just a thought.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Note 3
    Well I can tell you guys that my dumbutt dropped my gs3 from about 5 feet onto hard tile. I was sure that it would be destroyed, but I guess the phone gods were on my side. Everything is perfectly good with the phone. I have never used a case with my Android phones but I do have them ensured.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links