DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bsweetness

Thread: SD Card from my old Droid X into my new S3 -- apps don't see files/folders?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

SD Card from my old Droid X into my new S3 -- apps don't see files/folders?

I backed up certain data from 3rd party apps to the SD Card and also backed up all apps and data using MyBackupPro on my Droid X.

Now that I have the SD Card in my Samsung S3 and go to see My Files, it shows two areas: ent/sdcard and ent/extsdcard. It appears from viewing the two different directories, my current data, files, etc. are under the ent/sdcard. And, possibly the S3 is under ent/extsdcard??

I have an app that allows me to track my mileage for work. I backed it up to the SD Card on my Droid X. But, now that the app is installed on my S3, it does NOT see any data on the card. It appears other data is not showing up either.

When I look at the card on my desktop, neither of those directories are displayed. And, the folder names don't look quite the same as they do when the card is in either phone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    I placed my Micro SD card from my HTC Rezound into the S3 and it recognized all my files, no problem.
  3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    The system on the S3 reads things like this:

ent/sdcard = internal S3 memory
    ent/extsdcard = removable microSD card

Your computer will read them somewhat differently.

The S3 (and other recent Android phones) does not store app data on the removable SD card (extsdcard). It's all stored in the internal memory (sdcard). You can try copying the information from extsdcard to the appropriate folder on the sdcard to see if it will work, but there's no guarantee that all of it will.
    woodcycl likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    The S3 (and other recent Android phones) does not store app data on the removable SD card (extsdcard). It's all stored in the internal memory (sdcard). You can try copying the information from extsdcard to the appropriate folder on the sdcard to see if it will work, but there's no guarantee that all of it will.
    After comparing how the Files look on each phone and on the computer, I was able to do exactly what you explained ... I did a "copy" and copied the Trip Master backup file from the extsdcard to the sdcard directly. The Trip Master mileage app must only bacup to internal memory thus it wasn't able to see the backup on the extsdcard.

Thanks much!
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodcycl View Post
    After comparing how the Files look on each phone and on the computer, I was able to do exactly what you explained ... I did a "copy" and copied the Trip Master backup file from the extsdcard to the sdcard directly. The Trip Master mileage app must only bacup to internal memory thus it wasn't able to see the backup on the extsdcard.

Thanks much!
    I'm glad you were able to get it going.

You'll find that with the S3 (as well as with many other recent Android phones), virtually none of your apps will back up or store data to the removable SD card. They will all keep their data on the internal memory.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet

Links