DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Charging issue with my S3 -- need to know what you guys are experiencing

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Beka27 View Post
    Took about 90mins to get to fully charged.
    Sounds glorious. I really wish mine worked, called VZW and they said soonest they could ship a new one is 7/19
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I got mine today and in... About 4 hrs that it's been charging its only at 90% ::
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    samsung facinate
    Yah something is wrong got mine today and took about 90 min to charge full
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    When I first got mine I charged it without powering it on and it charged fairly quickly. Plugging it in with the device on gave a much slower charge.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
    When I first got mine I charged it without powering it on and it charged fairly quickly. Plugging it in with the device on gave a much slower charge.
    When I try to charge while using it, it slowly creeps up. When I put it down and don't mess with it, it's quicker.

Again, maybe see if a store can do the exchange.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Beka27

When I try to charge while using it, it slowly creeps up. When I put it down and don't mess with it, it's quicker.

Again, maybe see if a store can do the exchange.
    When I was charging mine it was off for the 4ish hrs it took to fully charge 50-100
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    So far I have charged mine a few times. It seems like it is pretty darn slow.

But a MAJOR precaution. You MUST use the cable that came with your S3 to charge it. If not, you might be waiting for a loooong time. Also, I would use the wall adapter that comes with the phone.

I tried using a variety of cables I had used in the past to charge my DX and all of them resulted in extremely slow charging.

Also, using the S3's cable with my old motorola wall adapter resulted in slower charging (not suprising since it has lower output)

I am curious if the new pin arrangement in the usb port that makes the S3 require a different MHL adapter is to blame for my old cables not working as well to charge the phone. If anyone knows I would love to hear.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    VZWGSIII - Motorola Droid
    I use an old LG charger at home (1000 mA output) and a old generic verizon wireless charger in office (800 mA output). I use my old Droid 1 usb to connect to my computer for transfer.

It definitely depends on the output of the charger. direct corded wall chargers usually have higher output, likewise direct corded car chargers. USB chargers that plug in to adapters for car and wall usually are a little lower (my Motorola 2 port usb car charger does 700 mA, and my old motorola usb wall adapter from my droid is 850 mA), and plugging into PC is the lowest (100 mA to 500 mA on usb 2.0). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

d
    o the math: if your usb is only giving out 100 mA per hour (guessing the phone is actually on and using some of the max to power the device) to charger your phone which has a 2100 mA capacity battery.

My old car usb adapter i got only had output of only 400 mA and using my doid 1 with navigation on, it would not keep up and the phone would actually drain while plugged in while running nav.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    I've been using a variety of wall chargers, both corded and USB. I'm not sure of the output on any of these, but they all seem to charge.

I'm interested when you mention the car charger output. When I use navigation for any length of time (we've gone on two trips this summer: one 3 hours, one 4 hours), the charger keeps the charge somewhat stable, but doesn't give any additional charge. Maybe we need to look into stronger car chargers?
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I went in and exchanged my original s3 today @ the vzw store -- here's hoping the new one charges normally.

Beka -- I'm interested, when you have yours plugged in to the charger and you're actually using the device, will it charge, stay neutral, or lose charge slowly?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links