DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Been away - which ROMs?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    So, alot of mixed reviews here and there.

Which Jelly Bean ROM would be the most stable with the best battery life (with or without cutomizations)?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I too have tried lots of ROMs and keep coming back to Cyanogen.
    For ICS, CM9 and for Jeely Bean CM10.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    SAF227
    Phone
    Droid 1
    You won't find much about it on these boards (I'm not sure why, but there it is), but I've seen nothing but good things from Euroskank's CM10's nightlies. Search around on google to read more about it.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    garrettbridges
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    So, help out a total noob with nightlies. Do these people just flash their phone with something new every night? Do they wipe it too? I have my phone so personalized and so many apps that I have to log into that it sounds like a total nightmare to be flashing multiple times a week. Is it in general people who use their phone more for an actual phone, as opposed to a PDA-type device?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by greycobalt View Post
    So, help out a total noob with nightlies. Do these people just flash their phone with something new every night? Do they wipe it too? I have my phone so personalized and so many apps that I have to log into that it sounds like a total nightmare to be flashing multiple times a week. Is it in general people who use their phone more for an actual phone, as opposed to a PDA-type device?
    It depends on the user. For the crackflashers, perhaps they do flash something every night. There are a lot of folks out there that foam at the mouth for the chance to flash just about anything. Realistically, I would guess most people skip flashing something every night. Even though it is a relatively quick and painless process, perhaps the user just doesn't have the time to spare to flash something every night. Especially for the folks that like to make backups prior to flashing or like to have extras like a custom kernel that doesn't come with the nightly (more things to install).

Personally I don't care about every update. If you go through the changes made since your last update, there may not be a good reason to update every version. Perhaps they implemented some changes that I don't care about, and it would just be a waste of time and bandwidth to download the new nightly. Recently I have been building a nightly with some cherry picks for myself about every other day.

Do you have to wipe? Most of the time no. There are some exceptions to this rule, but I don't wipe every nightly. If I notice a problem that I would think may not be ROM/app related, I may do a wipe before the next one. Or depending on bad the problem is, I may do a wipe and reinstall sooner. I have gotten my backup > wipe > flash > restore process down to a science, to where it is almost painless. Outside of Google's two step authentication and a little time (quite a bit of which is the phone doing it's own thing), I don't object to a wipe at all.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    garrettbridges
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Thanks for the info. Good to know. If you do, what do you use to back up your data when you flash? I would hate setting up my phone every time! I want to try ROMs out, but that's my primary roadblock.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by greycobalt View Post
    Thanks for the info. Good to know. If you do, what do you use to back up your data when you flash? I would hate setting up my phone every time! I want to try ROMs out, but that's my primary roadblock.
    My installation process goes like this (I am going to be general here, but I can expand on anything if necessary):

1 - Make a backup with titanium backup. I backup everything, data and system data.

2 - Make an update.zip of TiBu if I haven't done one in a while (this is an option in TiBu). This app updates quite often, so I do this semi-frequently.

3 - Using a custom launcher make a backup of my screen setup and it's settings. Apex, Nova, Holo, and many others exist out there. If you don't change settings or setup of launcher, you may not have to update this as often.

4 - If ROM has option make a backup of it's settings. Not all ROMs have this option. Roman from AOKP has made a backup app for AOKP in the market as an example. Some have options built in.

5 - Reboot into recovery.

6 - Make a full backup. To be completely honest, I skip this step sometimes (quite often actually). Not really recommended to skip this step, but I do dumb things from time to time out of laziness.

7 - Perform installation method (wipe, install, install gapps, and installing TiBu from it's update.zip...etc).

8 - Reboot into Android and sign into gmail.

9 - Restore apps and data (no system data) via TiBu.

10 - Restore ROM settings. If there wasn't a backup option, this may have to be done manually. Some may have to be done manually regardless.

11 - Restore stuff via launcher's restoration options.

12 - Reboot and enjoy.

Note this is just my process, there are many different ways to achieve similar results. While it seems long, it only sets me back ~20 minutes, a lot of which doesn't require my attention. The TiBu parts are the longest, and were I not such an app hoarder, I could probably accomplish a lot of this in close to half the time. I tend to do this while I am playing a game, watching TV/movie, or browsing the internet. I don't do this every day, so ~20 minutes here and there isn't so bad imo. I haven't done a full wipe in over a week now.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    @cupfulloflol nailed it. I follow the same steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    Oh, and thanks cupfulloflol for the tip about the AOKP backup app. good find.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by naman919 View Post
    Oh, and thanks cupfulloflol for the tip about the AOKP backup app. good find.
    No problem. It is a great little app.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links