DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Do all ROMs require Data Wipe?

  1. Droid
    Oliver84's Avatar
    Member #
    15282
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    63
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Do all ROMs require Data Wipe?

    I rooted my Nexus but I'm hesitant to try out a new ROM. I'm a recovering ROM junkie (use to flash a new ROM at least weekly). I've done pretty good so far since my Nexus is still pretty much stock. The only reason I'm really trying to get out of the ROMing "game" is because I was just tried of wiping data and having to restore not just my apps but all my app data (without corrupting it).

    So my question is this, do you guys still need to wipe data and start restoring everything with these ROMs? If so, doesn't that get old? Or is there some new trick to it that I've missed since I've been kind of out of it for a few months?
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Developer Relations
    guidot's Avatar
    Member #
    36269
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,363
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    #2
    Generally speaking if you are just upgrading to the newest ROM you can get by without a wipe.

    However if the developer calls for a wipe there isn't much you can. Also, if you are having issues with the ROM the first thing asked is if you wiped.

    Take it for what its worth.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

    1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Droid
    Oliver84's Avatar
    Member #
    15282
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    63
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    if you are having issues with the ROM the first thing asked is if you wiped.
    That's exactly why I'm trying to stay away from ROMs now. I don't think there are many times where you would have to wipe in order to get a stock update to work well. Of course the downside would be having to wait (like I've been waiting for 4.0.3) for updates but I was hoping with a Nexus I wouldn't have to wait that long...
  5. Droid Ninja
    Droid Firefighter's Avatar
    Member #
    130981
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet) ;-)
    Posts
    1,622
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
    #4
    Maybe I misunderstand your last post but you don't have to do anything when you geta system update that is an OTA update. Just let it download and install. No need to wipe anything. It will install right over the top of the current system build.

    This post is Incredible 2!
  6. Droid
    Oliver84's Avatar
    Member #
    15282
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    63
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid Firefighter View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand your last post but you don't have to do anything when you geta system update that is an OTA update. Just let it download and install. No need to wipe anything. It will install right over the top of the current system build.

    This post is Incredible 2!
    No, I know you don't need to wipe with an official OTA update. I was just comparing it to custom ROMs which sometimes do require you to wipe.
  7. Developer Relations
    guidot's Avatar
    Member #
    36269
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,363
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver84 View Post
    No, I know you don't need to wipe with an official OTA update. I was just comparing it to custom ROMs which sometimes do require you to wipe.
    You are comparing Lamborghini to a Ford Escort.

    The ROM rewrites all the system files. Generally an OTA (as long as you aren't changing OS'es) is updating bits and pieces.

    1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Droid Sensei
    BayouFlyFisher's Avatar
    Member #
    14195
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    4,969
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver84 View Post
    I rooted my Nexus but I'm hesitant to try out a new ROM. I'm a recovering ROM junkie (use to flash a new ROM at least weekly). I've done pretty good so far since my Nexus is still pretty much stock. The only reason I'm really trying to get out of the ROMing "game" is because I was just tried of wiping data and having to restore not just my apps but all my app data (without corrupting it).

    So my question is this, do you guys still need to wipe data and start restoring everything with these ROMs? If so, doesn't that get old? Or is there some new trick to it that I've missed since I've been kind of out of it for a few months?
    I do wipe when installing new roms. But recovering from the wipe has never been easier. Here's a writeup I did a while ago about Factory Data Resets which pretty much equals the wipe you do when installing a custom rom:

    These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 4. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 6. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

    I've been flashing new roms/updates about once every other day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 15 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

    I do make it a policy to stay away from roms that do not support the Google auto-restore feature. Of course that's pretty easy now as almost all roms do now. I've been trying out AOKP lately and I have stopped doing wipes for simple updates of the rom. I've experienced no adverse affects so far.

    Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Can't wipe data after SBF. Help!
    By breeett in forum Droid 2 Tech Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
  3. Does switching between 2.1 roms require a wipe?
    By tu3218 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
  4. not sure if I want to data wipe so... best 2.0.1 ROM?
    By iMpathetic in forum Android Roms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
  5. Restoring data after a data wipe?
    By calicocal in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Search tags for this page

can you install roms without wiping data
,
change roms without wiping
,
do i have to wipe data to install rom
,

does flashing a rom wipe data

,
does flashing rom wipe data
,
does installing a rom erase data
,

how to flash a rom without wiping data

,

install rom without wiping data

,
wipe data android rom
,
wipe rom
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+