DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Just rooted, don't know what's next

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Just rooted, don't know what's next

I had rooted my OG droid just to see if i could, but never did too much with it. Last night i rooted my nexus and would like to actually have some fun with it this time. The problem i have is knowing where to start and how to flash things. I did a few different themes on my OG but honestly don't really remember much of the sequence. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Verizon Note II
    Go to the root and ROM section on this forum and others. They have everything you'll need.
    The Nexus is my 3rd Android phone. I rooted all of them but this is the first one that I applied a ROM.
    I learned it all from reading, did not have to ask a single question.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Stock)
    Pool_Shark is right on. I'm still somewhat a novice with this, but just about every question about there has been answered. So do a good search first.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by papatar View Post
    I had rooted my OG droid just to see if i could, but never did too much with it. Last night i rooted my nexus and would like to actually have some fun with it this time. The problem i have is knowing where to start and how to flash things. I did a few different themes on my OG but honestly don't really remember much of the sequence. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
    Install this app and it will auto-flash a very, very stable custom recovery that uses the touch screen or scroll buttons: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=cwmr&c=apps

Then make a nandroid backup prior to making any other changes.

Once you have that backup you can start flashing roms, kernels and theme. Just be sure to follow the developers instructions for each type of install. Then absolutely stick to the regimen of doing a full backup prior to making any new changes. That will give you the ability to recovery from a bad installation or if you just change your mind about the most recent installation.

BTW, you can use Root Explorer (or almost any File Manager app) to go to sdcard/clockworkmod/backup to rename the backups to something relevant. Just be sure to use no spaces or special characters in the new name. You can use a dash or an underline character instead of a space.

There are many, many roms right now and kernels to choose from. You can try them all - have fun.

Before you get too far into this thing, take the time now to setup you computer with one of the full recovery systems that are out there. I used this one, but there are others and you never know when you will need it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gal...t-toolkit.html

Good luck and have fun!
    Baton Rouge, LA

Links