DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Overclocking Worth It?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Thanks. Should have been more specific and said for Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
    Current: Galaxy Nexus (Rooted) Running Stock
    Android 4.0.2
    - Looking to get some better battery life with a Kernel...Then a ROM.
    Former Phone: droid X LiberTY 2.0
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Boucher187 View Post
    Thanks. Should have been more specific and said for Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
    Droid_Xer is referring to different phones as being different Galaxy Nexus devices. Each Galaxy Nexus is different in the exact, precise capabilities of each phone's processor. Thus, some Galaxy Nexus processors can handle higher clock speeds and lower voltage levels than other Galaxy Nexus'. The best method to figure out what your particular phone can handle is trial and error, but I personally don't really mess with overclocking (as I said earlier). A dual core 1.2ghz processor is more than enough for me as is.
    Last edited by patmw123; 03-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by patmw123 View Post
    Droid_Xer is referring to different phones as being different Galaxy Nexus devices. Each Galaxy Nexus is different in the exact, precise capabilities of each phone's processor. Thus, some Galaxy Nexus processors can handle higher clock speeds and lower voltage levels than other Galaxy Nexus'. The best method to figure out what your particular phone can handle is trial and error, but I personally don't really mess with overclocking (as I said earlier). A dual core 1.2ghz processor is more than enough for me as is.
    Thank you for clarifying. I am new to the Nexus so I appreciate it. I am coming from DROID X and flased that constantly. So it's a little different.
    Current: Galaxy Nexus (Rooted) Running Stock
    Android 4.0.2
    - Looking to get some better battery life with a Kernel...Then a ROM.
    Former Phone: droid X LiberTY 2.0
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.4
    Considering the processor in our phones is rated for 1.5ghz, I can't imagine that overclocking to that speed would be harmful in any way aside from decreased battery life...

Now, I also don't think that the CPU being OC'd would show a whole lot of benefit.

What WOULD show the most benefit for day-to-day use would be to overclock the GPU... But I do not know how to do that in Android.
    I would imagine that going from ~540mhz(?) to ~650mhz (or equivalent jump) would have very little in the way of negative effects while providing a much more significant increase in perceptible speed than a CPU overclock, and would likely benefit benchmark scores for those of you who are into such things (and obviously increase framerates in games for those of you who play 3D-intensive games).

To me, the ideal setup would seem to be: 1.3-1.4ghz CPU speed with as much of an undervolt as I could get away with, while at the same time giving the GPU a 25% Overclock. I would bet on a solid 15-25% increase in 3D-intensive apps (games AND benchmarks) while also having a significantly-smoother User Interface, and little to no battery sacrifice.
    However, I figure it is best to wait to overclock until the phone has reached a point where it actually needs it... Rather than risking a shortened lifespan for the CPU/GPU only 3 months into the phone's lifespan!
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    - Unlocked & Rooted -
    GummyJar Nexus ROM (v. 1.2.5)
    Imoseyen's LeanKernel 3.8.0 Stable
    ANDROID 4.0.4

LG VX3000 --> Motorola RAZR --> LG Voyager --> Motorola Droid --> Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
    *snip*
    What WOULD show the most benefit for day-to-day use would be to overclock the GPU... But I do not know how to do that in Android.
    I would imagine that going from ~540mhz(?) to ~650mhz (or equivalent jump) would have very little in the way of negative effects while providing a much more significant increase in perceptible speed than a CPU overclock, and would likely benefit benchmark scores for those of you who are into such things (and obviously increase framerates in games for those of you who play 3D-intensive games).
    *snip*
    Overclocking the GPU may arguably be pointless too. I have seen it mentioned in more than one place that overclocking the GPU should have little to no performance boost, as it is limited by memory bandwidth. xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][GPL][19 MAR - #Milestone 2][NIGHTLY - 107] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3/4 | <-- Franco mentions it there.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Been running Faux kernels for a while now. Faux recently added some overclock slots. Currently running 1420 still with undervolt less then stock voltage for 1200. So far my phone is perfectly stable, getting excellent battery life, a bit more punch on performance. I am running 14m (the 4.0.3 listed kernel which is also for 4.0.4). I am on 4.0.4. Faux kernels are undervolted by default while maintaining stability for most phones so you don't need to experiment really.

GN-LTE[Hybrid-3.0.24] ICS4.0.2/3/4/Pre-UV,OC,TUN,CIFS,OTG,FIOPS(v014)[Mar-22] - RootzWiki
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    Overclocking the GPU may arguably be pointless too. I have seen it mentioned in more than one place that overclocking the GPU should have little to no performance boost, as it is limited by memory bandwidth. xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][GPL][19 MAR - #Milestone 2][NIGHTLY - 107] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3/4 | <-- Franco mentions it there.
    i have overclocked the nexus that i have on my line and notice no gain and horrible battery life
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links