DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooting the GNex - Gonna Put My Freaking Head Through A Wall

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Rooting the GNex - Gonna Put My Freaking Head Through A Wall

So, I've jailbroken an iPad and rooted, rommed, themed, overclocked, wiped, backed up, SBF'd and everything else to my OG Droid and my DX, but for the love of God I cannot root my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Mac. Now, I work with two different PC's, and of course neither one of them for whatever reason would work using the Easy Unlock & Root method that was released a few days ago. I've watched tutorials, I've did everything right along with them. I've read and read, but flat out cannot root this freaking phone. UGH! Would someone be willing to help? I'm at wits end with this phone. And yes, I already unlocked the bootloader.

Thanks!

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Sure, bud. I can give you a hand (assuming you're at a PC of course). Since you've already unlocked the bootloader, we'll start with rooting. Download the superboot file (credit to Sbenson's guide) and extract all the contents to your C drive and place them in a new folder entitled "root". Then hook up your GNex in fastboot to your PC. Then type these commands:

cd C:/

cd root

(then in the "root" folder on your PC run the "install-superboot-windows.bat"). Your phone should reboot, if it doesn't, wait 5 minutes and pull the battery. You should now be rooted.

Superboot file located in this thread. [How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjao View Post
    So, I've jailbroken an iPad and rooted, rommed, themed, overclocked, wiped, backed up, SBF'd and everything else to my OG Droid and my DX, but for the love of God I cannot root my Galaxy Nexus. I have a Mac. Now, I work with two different PC's, and of course neither one of them for whatever reason would work using the Easy Unlock & Root method that was released a few days ago. I've watched tutorials, I've did everything right along with them. I've read and read, but flat out cannot root this freaking phone. UGH! Would someone be willing to help? I'm at wits end with this phone. And yes, I already unlocked the bootloader.

Thanks!
    My phone had this problem I had to relock and run super boot 3 times before my phone would reboot. I was on windows though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Verizon Note II
    I used the superboot method was rooted within 15 minutes. At the time, that method posted in the sticky was the easiest, most well written method I had come across.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I actually have a Mac. And, I would prefer to use the Fastboot method so as to have permanent root. If I understand correctly, Superboot is temporary root.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    I actually have a Mac. And, I would prefer to use the Fastboot method so as to have permanent root. If I understand correctly, Superboot is temporary root.
    No. Superboot is full root. You run the superboot batch file while in fastboot.
    Last edited by syndicate0017; 01-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh. Anyone have good, clear, thorough instructions on doing it with a Mac?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus & OG Droid
    I would just borrow a pc if I were you, and use Wug's root toolkit. It practically does everything for you and walks you through everything step by step.
  10. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Bionic, G Nex and T Prime
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    MAC.. i got nothing. Android users have a hard time with Apple.. and Im sure the opposite..lol Its usually the last OS to get squared away. If its important to you and you want it now, Id hit up a friend or the library or soemthing.. hell head to BestBuy with the files you need on a flash drive and knock it out.
    Choices always were a problem for you
    What you need is someone stong to guide you, like me.
    Trust In Me now don't you judge or question
    You are broken now but faith can heal you
    Just do everything I tell you to do
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Thanks!

Just borrow a PC. I used the GNex Toolkit V3.0 from Mark on XDA-developers forum. I read through the entire thread with problems and solutions people posted just in case I faced while doing it. It worked like a charm for me. Mark is a senior at XDA and IT consultant based out of UK. I even donated for his beer . He is pretty responsive to questions or concerns as well.Good luck!

[GNex TOOLKIT V3.0] Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash and MUCH MORE For Newbs [GSM] - xda-developers

- Vick

Links