This guide explains how you can convert movies and TV shows (avi, mkv, DVD, iso etc) for your nVidia Shield from your existing collection, so that you can watch them on your Shield, without having to purchase them again from a digital movie store such as Google Play.
* Of course your nVidia Shield. While you don’t need it for the actual process, of course if you want to watch a movie on the Shield, you need it to be able to put the movie onto it.
* The connection cable for your Shield.
* Windows-based PC in order to be able to run DVD Catalyst 4. DVD Catalyst 4 is currently only available for computers and laptops running Microsoft Windows. It works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, on 32bit as well as 64bit systems.
* Conversion software. There is a large variety of different tools available for this. You can do it the free way, with applications such as Handbrake and Freemake, or with one of the many overpriced applications that are found all over the internet, but for this guide I am using DVD Catalyst 4, one of the most popular conversion applications for phones and tablets due to its ease of use, the support provided when needed, and of course the very affordable price.
You can purchase DVD Catalyst 4 (for a limited time with a 50% discount) by clicking here (link), or download the free trial version by clicking here (link) The trial version converts 25% of each item.
Currently there is no Apple Mac or Linux version available of DVD Catalyst 4.
* DVD drive for if you want to convert DVDs or a Bluray drive if you want to convert Blurays for your nVidia Shield, or direct access to your video file (AVI, MKV, ISO etc) collection if you want to convert those to the proper format for your nVidia Shield.
With DVDs and video files, DVD Catalyst works without the need of anything else. It even includes its own video and audio codecs, so it is even able to convert video files to nVidia Shield optimized videos even if your might not be able to play the original video.
However, if you want to use DVD Catalyst 4 with Blurays, additional software
* Movies or TV shows. Of course you need videos that you want to watch on your nVidia Shield. You can use movies and TV shows on a disc such as a DVD or Bluray, or you can use video files such as AVI, MKV, created by other applications.
DVD Catalyst can not convert so-called “Digital Copy” movies, or movie and TV episodes purchased through iTunes or similar online video services such as Amazon UnBox and UltraViolet. These video files are DRM-protected, which prevents software such as DVD Catalyst from converting them.
Off-the-shelf DVDs, as well as video files that do not include DRM such as AVI, DIVX, ISO, MKV, MPEG etc can be converted normally with DVD Catalyst.
Step 1: Download and install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer.
Step 2: Start DVD Catalyst 4 and select the nVidia Shield video player device profile.
Step 3: Insert your DVD or drag your video files over onto DVD Catalyst 4.
Step 4: Tap Go to start the conversion process.
Step 5. Connect your Shield to your computer and copy the file over.
Once completed, just open the build-in video player app on your nVidia Shield, and tap the movie to play it.
A more detailed guide for putting movies on the nVidia Shield can be found here: