What do you need:
* Your Barnes and Noble NOOK HD. While you don't need it for the actual process, of course if you want to watch a movie on it, you need to be able to put the movie onto it.
* The USB connection cable for your NOOK HD.
* Windows-based PC in order to be able to run DVD Catalyst 4. DVD Catalyst 4 is currently only available for computers and laptops running Microsoft Windows. It works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, on 32bit as well as 64bit systems. Currently there is no Apple Mac or Linux version available of DVD Catalyst 4.
* DVD drive for if you want to convert DVDs or a Bluray drive if you want to convert Blurays, or access to your video file collection if you want to convert AVI, MKV, M2TS etc.
* Conversion software. There is a large variety of different tools available for this. You can do it the free way, with applications such as Handbrake and Freemake, or go with one of the many overpriced applications that are found all over the internet, but for this guide I am using DVD Catalyst 4, one of the most popular conversion applications for phones and tablets due to how easy it works (1 click conversions), the support provided to you when you need it (quick, hand-typed and detailed) and the very affordable pricing (on sale for $9.95, less than the price of 2 DVDs in the sales-bin at the grocery store).
You can purchase DVD Catalyst 4 by clicking here (link), or download the free trial version by clicking here (link).
Note: the DVD Catalyst 4 trial version converts 25% of each item.
* Movies or TV shows. Of course you need videos that you want to watch on your Barnes and Noble NOOK HD. You can use movies and TV shows on a disc such as a DVD or Bluray, or you can use video files such as AVI, MKV, created by other applications. So-called "Digital Copies", the video files you get with some DVD and Bluray purchases ("Free Digital Copy Included" on the case), iTunes purchased/rented movies, and movie files obtained from other online services like Amazon Prime, Blockbuster have a special DRM on them that prevents them from being played on your NOOK HD, and also prevents them from being converted. If you use these services to actually get a DVD sent to you, those can be converted though.
Step 1: Download and install DVD Catalyst 4 on your computer.
Step 2: Start DVD Catalyst 4 and select the Barnes and Noble NOOK HD profile.
Step 3: Insert your DVD or drag your video files over onto DVD Catalyst 4.
Step 4: Tap Go to start the conversion process.
Step 5. Connect your NOOK HD to your computer to copy the file over.
Once the transfer is completed, you can use the Gallery App on your NOOK HD,
or the Library
to play your video files.
For more information, please have a look at at the detailed guide: