I hope I can describe this problem correctly: while driving my X2 will stream music just fine for long periods of time, sometimes an hour or more, then for no apparent reason I lose my 3G signal down to a 1X signal with resulting loss of streaming. Sometimes I automatically recover 3G in a short time but on many occasions I have to put the phone into airplane mode for a few seconds, then switch back in order to regain my 3G, often necessitating a restart of whichever music app I am using. Occasionally even this doesn't do the trick.
Now here are more details that might affect this behavior, but I don't know for sure and I'm wondering if someone can speak to this.
1) Oftentimes, but not always, this loss of 3G signal happens when I drive across a state line. I understand that coverage sometimes abruptly ends at boundaries such as this, but this is not always the case. I drive the same 700 mile route many times and on some occasions I suffer no loss of signal at state lines, while on other occasions I have not even been able to regain by rebooting the phone. Sometimes I get 3G while driving south, but on the return trip north I get nothing.
2) I have used *228 option 2 in every state and often several times within a state while making the trip over a period of some 2 years.
3) Most of my troubles happen along the I-81 corridor in MD and WVA, and then again along I-77 in NC near the VA line. I know VZW service is somewhat lacking in these areas but aren't there agreements with other carriers to compensate?
4) Somewhere on a forum (could have been this one) I remember reading that the X2 has a known penchant for not regaining 3G once lost. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this issue?
5) Yes, the phone is almost 2-1/2 years old and I sometimes tend to overwork it by doing too many things at once. Maybe its just tired?
Any help is welcome, and thanks!