DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internal vs external memory for he videos

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    How big are those video files you're trying to play? Most x264 720p mkv videos use a really high bitrate.

Also, I don't know of any android player that really handles mkv well. This is likely less an issue with the phone, and more an issue with the video format and your expectations of what the phone is capable of. Convert it to something else - avi or mp4 preferably, with a reasonable bitrate, and you should be fine.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x2
    well the droid x2 with moboplayer has no real issues with mkv playback. i have a lot of files in h264 with a bit rate of 1.30 and at 704x400. but a file at 720p bit rate 1.6 and above crap out the video. music plays fine but video run slowly. may have to wait untill the next gen of phones. but these thing are able to mirrow to a hd tv at 1080p yet can't handle 720p h264 makes when it clearly has h264 playback ability is just sad.

may be an issues with froyo not being optimized for dual core (yes this makes the difference) maybe one day and hopefully in two years when qudcore are the norm and an android fw optimized properly maybe it will.

i expected nothing more or less then what the specs said. h264 and upto 720p playbackand rec yet it can't do it.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    1.3 what when you're talking bitrate? Mbps?

Also, you realize 720p is ~twice the resolution of 704x400. So that's not really a helpful comparison.

And again, just because a given resolution is said to be playable, they are going to cite a figure using an unspecified format (probably mp4), at an unspecified bitrate. In other words, ideal conditions. I guarantee you they didn't use mkv bluray(?) rips.

While it's certainly likely that additional optimization would yield better performance, at least for the time being, you really just have unrealistic expectations here. You're going to need to re-encode the videos.

Additionally, moboplayer is unlikely leveraging hardware acceleration, and is probably using software decoding, which uses the cpu rather then the gpu to decode the video. This makes a gigantic difference. So, if you use a format that the stock player can use, you'll see the additional benefits of hardware acceleration.
    Last edited by Snow02; 06-26-2011 at 03:33 AM.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    I found a relevant thread on xda. Give it a read.
    Link
    Last edited by Snow02; 06-26-2011 at 05:03 AM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x2
    The bit rate of the file im trying to read is 1.6 and up. My phone seems to be able to handle 1.3 with out any issues. Now I can play a 720p be rip of a movie without any issues. But yet with anime it can't. Now my stock player.can play mkv just fine sometimes its audio. And I use a sub rip file so I can use hardware and not software decode yet still l have issues.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    It has nothing to do with it being anime. It has everything to do with how the files are encoded. The audio codec used can also cause problems as you've seen. The answer is still the same either way - re-encode them. They'll work great. It's not that big of a deal. Would it be nice if you didn't have to? Sure. But you just have to deal with what you have. No other phone is going to be any different in this respect.

Dvd catalyst makes an excellent conversion program with several preset profiles for different devices. You can even email the developer and he'll help you find the best settings.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x2
    dude you don't need to tell me how anything is done. i have been an encoder for anime fansubs i understand file containers, video codecs, audio codecs, vfr, cf,r soft subs hard subs, codec profiles.

its hardware and software thats holding phones back. 1ghz dcp can play anything as long as it has the proper ram, vram, and os. froyo no matter how much people want to try and optimize for dcp is not meant to run one fully thats why just swiping through screens with or without v6supercharger has my cpu going to max usage.

hopefully once gingerbread comes out or better yet icecream then 720p h264 will be playable. an non-optimized proper os will never run a dcp right. hell maybe a 1ghz can't no matter how much correct os is done. but maybe a 1.5ghz or ka-el can.

i have hd versions and non hd versions of anime and i know where to get them so i don't have to do it myself. hell if i wasn't be lazy and had more time i could convert all those 720p h264 into 720p xvid.

but that was not the goal of this topic. the goal was to see if i could get 720p mkv to play properly. i only intend to back down when all is exhausted. and as far as i can see moboplayer is only getting better after time and hopefully dev will see this and try to see if they can get it to work.

true progress happens only from failure and seeing if something can be done. if you do not what to look for you'll never think about it.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    vvildcard
    Phone
    Droid X2 (Eclipse ROM)
    Glad to hear SuperCharger improved general performance... but that still sucks that it's not fixing the video issues.

Quote Originally Posted by densetsu86 View Post
    is it possible to run v6supercharger and noop at the same time?
    Yes... this wouldn't be a problem at all.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x2
    Ok I have an update. Last night I updated my droidx2 to pre-rooted gingerbread and today I redownloaded moboplayer and the video codec and supercharged my phone (I think its supercharged it didn't give me an error but its not showing my mins free so im not too sure) and I have noop also on (also looks weird as some lines of code are.missing when there was about 6 or more lines of code that had noop now only 2 are there kinda odd) but with this my video player can final play that one damn file. I have to be on hardware playback so I only need to do is extract the subs but its now watchable. There are some issues but whereas before it was completely unwatchable its now much more.stable. some frames skip but that's when there's a lot going on screen but the audio stays with it the entire time and 95% of the time I get 20-24fps persec again it falls only when there's a lot going on but it is very tolerable.

Got to say it was froyo not being optimized correctly enough for dual core. And since icecream sandwich is supposed to be even more optimized for dual core then gingerbread I can't wait.

Very pleased.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links